DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: APRIL

Dolfan in NYC

There are seriously people try to spin this as "Ryan Braun is an irresponsible asshole and a cancer!"

Can't make this shit up.

Have to agree, how stupid are you that walk right by a swinging bat? Because that's obviously the only time in the history of baseball that a guy is swinging a bat like that on the top steps. . . 

I think I watch the most Orioles games out of anyone here on the board (I don't think there are any Orioles fans here... at least who admit it) since I prefer to watch their games over the terrible Nats broadcast. (Plus - I prefer AL baseball). Anyway - I wasn't pleasantly surprised that their broadcast was #3

Thorne is really good at not getting in the way and just calling a game and by just doing that it is amazing how nice the broadcast is. I mean - I preferred Thorne doing hockey but that might just be me. But when you get a Play By Play guy not making it all about himself - huge plus. And for those who haven't heard him - Jim Palmer is really really really really really good.

I would be curious to see a radio broadcast list

Pat Hughes is up there, for sure. I really do love the Cubs TV booth though, and somehow, JD has seamlessly replaced Bob Brenly, who I thought I would miss greatly. 

Hawk is the worst. Take him out back and put him out of his misery. Every time I hear "PUT IT ON THE BOARD, YEEEEEEES!" I load another bullet into the gun.

I try to keep my shilling limited here, but this is something I think you'll all enjoy - we compiled rankings for the MLB local announcers over at Awful Announcing, voted on by our readers. I don't think any of you will be surprised at who is ranked last, but the #1 crew may surprise you.

I can't say I'm too surprised at any of the rankings.  I think the Seattle crew is a little too high but they're not bad.  They're just pretty bland - kinda like the team they call.

I'm probably the only person on the planet who's not a fan of Vin Scully.  I get his appeal, I just don't think he's very good. 

I mean - I preferred Thorne doing hockey

I always thought Thorne was terrible at hockey.  Of course, a lot of that is because he was always saddled with Bill Clement, who is just wretched.  But the two of them would just constantly misidentify players or otherwise be flat out wrong factually on stuff.  I can see where Thorne might be good with a slower sport like baseball though.

Speaking of Detroit shortstops...

For a thread over on WCMB, I looked up some past Detroit Tigers drafts - specifically the run in the 70s when they drafted Lance Parrish, Mark Fidrych, Lou Whitaker, Jason Thompson, Jack Morris, and Alan Trammell, all in the space of three years. 

So why do I mention this?  Because the year they drafted Alan Trammell (1976) they also drafted some other shortstop you may have heard of:

ozzie-smith-backflip-o.gif

Been a Tigers fan all my life, had no idea they drafted the Wizard.

If it hasnt been mentioned here yet (i think i brought it up in the video game thread), dirk hayhurst put out a bejewled/puzzle quest style baseball-themed ios game all based on using PEDs as power ups. Some funny gags.