DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble Predictions

goodhelmet

I'm with the camp that feels the winner hasn't been announced yet.  It's a really odd lineup.  Not only would the 40 man addition be ideal (and agreed, it never should've gone back to 30), but I think little-to-no participants should be announced ahead of time.  It's not like 1993 when they'd give a few more names out each week, throw out an odd one like Carlos Colon, and build the anticipation.  I can see announcing a Batista type for a few addition buys, but come next year on the Network they won't even need that.  Make every entrance a surprise.

I'll be there and I do agree anything less than Bryan winning, unless it's a really big, unreal surprise, is going to deflate the already notoriously bad Pittsburgh crowd.  Jericho and Sheamus are going to be at the World of Wheels show on Friday and Saturday, and it would seem that both should appear, but neither would be as accepted winning the Rumble as Bryan.  The World of Wheels always has a WWE star appear, and Sheamus has been doing their other dates, so who knows.

I will say that I'm looking forward to every match except for Cena/Orton.  Pittsburgh's already sat through an hour of it at Bragging Rights 09.  It was good, but it was also more interesting at that time.

-J\/\/

Love the Royal Rumble match, that and The Undertaker's WrestleMania matches are the macthes I look most forward to every year in wrestling. I like seeing who will last long, who will win and the surprises. The 2001 Royal Rumble match was great for the latter. Thinking Batista wins.

I wonder if they're going to do the NXT tournament to get in to the Rumble again this year? I don't think they are, but I'd like to see Alexander Russev or Sami Zayn get in that way.

Considering how it turned out last time, it's probably off the table.

So, which legend gets the "Mr. Perfect in 2002" spot?  Wasn't Henning in the final four that year?

It was Hennig, Austin, Angle, and HHH, probably my favorite final four of all time, but Hennig's been my favorite wrestler since childhood and I was there live, so I might be biased.

Regal would be perfect for that spot.

They tried really, really hard with ADR..

They tried so hard, they had him certain-jerk WrestleMania.

Well, when you are cutting the same goddamn promo or doing the exact goddamn thing every show and getting the same goddamn response (i.e. none), you deserve what you get. However, curtain jerkers are important because it sets the mood for the show. Pushing a guy like limited ADR (who still can't learn how to get heat in front of a WWE crowd years and non-stop pushes later, but I digress..) against Edge (who was actively uninteresting/shitty and coming off one of the worst feuds I've seen in all my life), was a bad call.

I will maintain that Santino should've won the 40 man just like I think Maryse should've won MITB in 2010. I would rather have the crowd losing their shit over a guy they care about instead of some "real" wrestler that no one gives a shit about.

What's the benefit of going back to 40 participants? You just add 10 more guys that no-one really cares about and have no chance to win. I mean, I'm probably the board's biggest Primo Colon fan, but does the match gain anything by having Los Matadores in there? Just more dead time.

Reigns vs Brock seems like a train wreck, if Brock does indeed win the title and take it to WM. However, we have yet  to have The Shield be a threat to the world title. That could be interesting. 

I'm not sure if the actual match would be great, but having Brock brawl with The Shield every week would be my favorite build to a match ever. It would be like watching a plane collide with a train while a helicopter full of gasoline tried to fly through a hoop of fire. 

What's the benefit of going back to 40 participants? You just add 10 more guys that no-one really cares about and have no chance to win. I mean, I'm probably the board's biggest Primo Colon fan, but does the match gain anything by having Los Matadores in there? Just more dead time.

This year, it'd be adding some doubt as to who's winning. I guess it depends on what your expectation for the event is. If you look at it as a coronation for the "it" guy for that year's Wrestlemania, then this year's sets up fine. But the Rumble, when it's right, can be a vessel used to tell myriad stories during one match. This lineup w thirty guys isn't gonna tell many stories at all.

Here's the thing about this year's lineup. I actually do like a lot of the guys in it, and I think it has potential to have some really interesting moments. You have The Shield and the Wyatts in there. Big E, Antonio Cesaro, The Rhodes Bros, etc, but none of those guys can or will actually win the whole thing. That takes all of the suspense out of it.

They've done a decent job the last few weeks building up the new WWE World Title as THE belt that EVERYBODY wants. Brock and Batista came back specifically for it. Everybody is gunning for Orton. You'd think more guys would be fighting to get in to the Rumble for their guaranteed chance at, not only the belt, but a chance at the belt at the biggest show of the year. It's everything WWE says is important in one match.

Why would Bryan, for example, say he wants a one on one match against Bray at the Rumble instead of being in the match itself? Or Big Show or Brock? Why wouldn't they do everything they can to actually get in to this Rumble?? If there was a year for 40 guys made sense, this is the year because so many people should WANT to be in it. Everybody is gunning to be THE guy in WWE, and this is their chance. Bring back more guys, even if just for one night, to give it more prestige and give the event itself more suspense as to who's going to win the thing.

I'm hoping those final 5 slots go to some big surprise names. Otherwise, what should be one of the biggest Rumbles ever from the WWE Title standpoint, is just another match.

• Like 1

That 40-man Rumble was no good.  They just let the ring fill up and they do too much comedy.

They need more serious action.  Like El Torito should get one of the last slots.  Then when he gets thrown over, Los Matadores can just catch him, shout 'ole' and throw him back in where he can hurricanrana someone over the top.  Or he's in there with one of The Real Americans and gets thrown over the top but avoids elimination because he lands on wheelchair-bound Zeb.

Don't rule out the possibility of someone like Kofi Kingston winning and then losing their title shot at Elimination Chamber.  

Cena beats Orton, Kofi wins the Rumble, Orton jumps Kofi and gets him to stupidly put the spot on the line for some reason.  I don't think that exact situation will play out, but I could see something similar.

If Kofi won I would love to see the IWC meltdown Monday morning. It would probably be worse than Batista winning it.

Do Los Matadores have individual names? I cannot recall them ever being called anything else. El Torito should be in it over them.