DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

So they are rebooting a show after one season and giving it half the episodes? I never saw the show I couldn't get behind Ricky from Barbershop being the lead in this but it sounds like Fox has already given up on it which seems strange they would even bother bringing it back.

I think it's mainly because The Following crashed in the ratings. It's doing 1.4s regularly, and it still got renewed. Lowest Almost Human ever did was 1.5, so it would be hard to justify cancelling it.

Edit: Apparently, the EW writer said he made a mistake saying it was a "reboot" and he just meant "renewed."

God damn Fargo was something.

I don't know why, but I didn't think they were gonna show the wife after she was killed. Oh FX... you never cease to amaze me with what you show on basic cable.

• Like 2

Maybe this belongs in a movie thread, but I don't hang out in those:

While participating on a panel devoted to showrunners at WonderCon Anaheim Saturday, Rockne S. O’Bannon (Revolution) provided an update on the movie version of one of his most beloved, cancelled shows: Farscape.

“We are, in fact, in the script stage of a Farscape feature,” O’Bannon announced to a packed house that couldn’t be more excited.

This isn’t the first time news of the project broke to fans. In February, Sydney-based writer Justin Monjo let the cat out of the bag to If.com.au, revealing plot details surrounding the film. It is rumored to follow the son of series’ mainstays John and Aeryn.

How frellin' awesome was Farscape?

Anyone have an opinion on "Black Sails"?  I was looking for a new series to tide me over between "Game of Thrones" episodes and stumbled across this one.  I'm a fan of nautical tales (read all the Patrick O'Brien books) and the premise seemed intriguing, but I watched the first episode and wasn't impressed.  The word "corny" passed through my mind a few times.  Is it worth continuing?

While participating on a panel devoted to showrunners at WonderCon Anaheim Saturday, Rockne S. O’Bannon (Revolution) provided an update on the movie version of one of his most beloved, cancelled shows: Farscape.

“We are, in fact, in the script stage of a Farscape feature,” O’Bannon announced to a packed house that couldn’t be more excited.

This isn’t the first time news of the project broke to fans. In February, Sydney-based writer Justin Monjo let the cat out of the bag to If.com.au, revealing plot details surrounding the film. It is rumored to follow the son of series’ mainstays John and Aeryn.

You know it is back in syndication on the PIVOT channel, right?  My daughter loves it!

Anyone have an opinion on "Black Sails"?  I was looking for a new series to tide me over between "Game of Thrones" episodes and stumbled across this one.  I'm a fan of nautical tales (read all the Patrick O'Brien books) and the premise seemed intriguing, but I watched the first episode and wasn't impressed.  The word "corny" passed through my mind a few times.  Is it worth continuing?

I am not a big fan of the show.  It uses nearly all of the characters from Treasure Island but then jams in real life buccaneers and tries to make the show seem like this actually happend in real life.

Then it tries to make them sexy.  Scurvy is not attractive, guys.

• Like 1

You know it is back in syndication on the PIVOT channel, right?  My daughter loves it!

I did not know there was such a thing as the PIVOT channel until now.

Is your daughter old enough to date me?  If not, then when?  Only interested if she also loves reruns of Buffy on PIVOT.  Preferably also Veronica Mars, but that's not a dealbreaker.  If not me, then Brian Fowler will come chasing.

Survivor has gotten better than it started, but I'm still not in love with this season. I don't think Tony will win even though he has played a good game. I think the entire game will get flipped once someone finds the 'special immunity idol'.

Yeah, that was huge for them. If Netflix had got that, it would have been game over for pretty much everybody else in the streaming game.

They don't have Showtime exclusivity. Netflix has DEXTER, that I know of. I saw WEEDS on there a while back. Probably some other of their old shows.

The HBO deal sounds cool but you look a little deeper into it and there's no mention of Game of Thrones and new episodes of shows like True Blood will not show up for THREE YEARS.

I'm far from sold..

Game of Thrones is not included in the deal.  However, the full run of The Sopranos is included.

And, yeah, Prime got bumped to $99.

I don't think HBO is ever gonna let go of GoT or True Detective as hole cards. Shit, the fact that they won't even put them up for a la carte sale on Amazon or iTunes until the DVDs ship a year later proves that Warner considers those two shows too valuable as subscription-drivers to ever let go as feathers in someone else's cap.

I donno, as someone who hasn't paid for cable since 2001 and would probably be on Amazon Prime forever anyway even at $100 (I get enough out of the shipping, the free Kindle book per month, etc), I'm still pretty stoked. I've never seen The Wire or Sopranos or Deadwood or True Blood, and I don't give a shit about a three year gap for shows I would otherwise not bother to watch at all. I just wish they'd sell me True Detective episode by episode because I'm not willing to drop another $30 to get a cable box and HBO