DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Did you or did you not stop believing?

I actually didn't mind the end. Perhaps because I already knew it was coming.

Tony killing Chris is what destroyed me. Christ that hurt.

Yeah, when that aired it was a huge WTF moment. But considering his previous addictions, and how he was starting to get sloppy, in hindsight you kind of saw it coming. The impact is on account of how it plays out, not being a normal hit or anything.

But the final scene. Given you now saw the previous episodes that more or less spell out what happened, what's "your interpretation?"

Maybe I'm just an eternal optimist, but I'm gonna always some it was just Meadow walking through the door, nothing else.

And Tony eventually got convicted of 8 billion RICO act crimes.

IMO, you read post-finale interviews with Chase and it's pretty obvious Tony got shot. I mean, he does everything but say "Tony got shot!" Not sure why else he would be at pains to point out the scene in Stage 5 where Silvio gets caught up in a shooting before he even has a clue what's happening or the Bobby/Tony talk in Sopranos Home Movies.

The whole point of the coma dream was: Tony, change your ways now or you're going to die. He didn't, so now he's dead.

Saying it's a "life goes on" ending seems to ignore that season 6 was built specifically around the consequences of not redeeming yourself (We also saw it with Chris, Vito and Phil, who flirted with changing, couldn't, and ended up dead.)

• Like 1

I always liked the idea that Paulie conspired with New York to do it. First of all, it makes sense: Paulie's whole behavior on the boat was "Oh, fuck, this guy is going to kill me!" and even if Tony changed his mind about killing him, I doubt Paulie wanted to wait for the day he might change it back. I also like the irony of frigging Paulie being the last man standing when all is said and done.

Butchie picking Bobby over Paulie to get hit might be the real giveaway, but the scissors thing is so odd I think it has to be a subtle clue.

My guess: Butchie and Paulie made a deal: they'd get rid of their bosses, then be left with whatever was left.

Somebody already posted a whole essay devoted to explaining why Tony was killed at the end, with Chase explaining it, so that's a wrap on that one. If you want to find out dig it up or maybe the person who first posted it can repost. 

Chrissy being killed was fucked but watching it again recently (HBO's reruns are in overdrive) I realized that he didn't just jeopardize himself or the organization, he almost killed Tony. Negligence, addiction, whatever the reason, Tony almost died... and as is natural for a predator like himself he got revenge. Pretty stunning underline on his character there.

To defend Chris, he did have a point when he talked about how he was trying to get clean and Tony and the other guys were always encouraging him to loosen up and have a drink. Is it really any wonder he relapsed?

I mean, absolutely, he had to go. And probably had it coming after betraying Adriana. But the Tony/Chris relationship was way more complicated than him simply being a screw up and Tony always having to clear up after him. Tony was the cause of a lot of his problems; that wasn't just Chris being paranoid.

The episode prior (if the preview is correct time-line wise) was the one where he relapsed and shot his sponsor so, yeah.

Wasn't his relapse in The Ride? Tony encouraged him to drink a bottle of wine because they were celebrating his wedding,so he did, then come the end of the episode he was doing heroin again. Chris was a fuck up, but it's not hard to see the connection.

Tony also refused to let him pursue his writing dreams in Hollywood season 2. OK, so he was never going be Tennessee Williams, but, hey, if he wanted to get out of that life and do something else, why not let him? (And Chris wasn't "made" by that point, so he could have realistically gotten out.)

He had multiple relapses over the course of the last couple seasons.  Would drink, get clean, etc.  But he had just fallen off the wagon again and shot the screen writer (not his sponsor, btw, his sponsor was out of town) friend/fellow addict either the ep or two eps before.

Again, going from the understandable place that Tony was a mafia boss (and a sociopath) him killing Chris was understandable.  But that was the moment in the series that really ripped me up.  I liked Chris (even though, to be fair, he was also a sociopath, and in some ways an even worse person than Tony) and I had some investment in the Tony/Chris relationship.  Plus he had the baby girl, and... 

I can't believe Paulie actually survived the whole series.

Probably the only person who wasn't surprised by that was Paulie.

On to other things....

Watched the first episode of "Turn" after work today.... I liked it enough to want ot wait for episode 2, so that's something

James