DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I would recommend Demon's Souls but I'm nuts. You will probably not beat it or even enjoy it.

There's also ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection which still looks breathtaking on PS3 but is dependent on your tolerence for Japanese weirdness.

You can also get Prince of Persia Trilogy (which isn't well optimized for PS3) and Prince of Persia (2008) for fairly cheap.

I also highly recommend Infamous Collection as well -- which has Infamous 1, 2 & the Festival of Blood downloadable game.

Yeah - I already played the first two GOW on the PS2. And yeah - I know the Vita games (Chains of Olympus and that other one) are technically prequels.

And yeah - I forgot there was a game after GOW III

I spaced 3D Dot Heros but I remember being really interested in that when I first heard about it

Rippa, of you like shooters, the Killzone games are great.

Just don't worry about trying to go for the Platinum in Killzone 2. Trust me on this.

Preach on, brother.

Not really into video games at all (it seems to be mostly army guys shooting other army guys in hallways), but this whole Gamergate deal has become a pretty big story so...

Question: Does Eron Gjoni know he is NEVER going to get laid again?

It's called Google Search, dude. Any woman who even contemplates a date with you will go online and realize you orchestrated an entire hate campaign and ruined your ex-girlfriend's life.

Women tend not to like that type of thing, shockingly.  Even if your ex was difficult and/or cheated on you.

Uncharted (the first one) is really interesting.

I haven't played a game this linear in a LONG time.

I am not saying this is a bad thing at all just a big change of pace from what I usual play.

I think the last time I played something like this was - not shockingly - Tomb Raider. And even then - that had the side optional tombs and the ability to go back to areas.

Right now - it seems like this is "keep moving forward. pick up shiny things as you go"

I was less-than-entirely-sober Friday night and ended up buying Distant Worlds: Universe off of Steam and I think it's already my favorite 4X game.  The genius of the game is largely in how much of the gruntwork you don't have to do.  While you represent the government, your empire has a private sector that operates more-or-less independently, and takes care of things like mining resources and moving goods and people around.  Everything else can be automated as much as you'd like as well.  Just want to focus on exploration and military?  Let the computer take care of research and the economy for you.  If you like you can sim everything and watch the game play itself.

There's also a nice sense of scale and progression.  A 'medium' galaxy has 700 systems, each with 0-10 planets plus moons and asteroids, and then there are black holes, gas clouds, supernovae and other features.  I started as a single pre-warp planet and I've now spread to about 2 dozen colonies across one arm of the galaxy.  It's real time, and I find it quite relaxing to zoom out and watch all of my ships flit from place to place.

Anyway, it's really good and you should play it, despite it being stupidly expensive.

Yeah - if I had a complaint about the game it is that it seems like you have to headshot a guy 3 times for him to die.

I understand if I am hitting them in the chest - especially since they have armor.

But three shots to the dome is BS

I think the headshot problem was fixed for Uncharted 2. Not 100% sure though. It's been a long time. I liked the first one, but two is so much better.

I spaced 3D Dot Heros but I remember being really interested in that when I first heard about it

I really liked this game and kinda regret selling it. There was a website where I'd download a lot of characters and then transfer them over via usb on my PS3. I had Link, Mario, Mega Man, Kratos, etc. And of course, it's pretty fun to create your own character.

Because it is.

Also has the distinction to play the whole boss battle instead of just the first stage.

WRONG! "Open Your Heart" is the far superior song. The tempo is fantastic. And the boss battle in Adventure 1 is better than Adventure 2 also!

Frankly, despite the fact that Sonic Heroes is the shits as a game, I prefer "What Im Made Of" to either of the Asventure themes.

Now you ruined the fun. You said the "S word" so now everyone knows what us weirdos are actually talking about.

Sonic Heroes is a bad game, admittedly, but for some reason I still liked it a lot. I think just because of the team aspect? I don't know. I do enjoy that song too though. But also Team Dark's theme from that game, "This Machine" kicks fucking ass.

I think the headshot problem was fixed for Uncharted 2. Not 100% sure though. It's been a long time. I liked the first one, but two is so much better.

I really liked this game and kinda regret selling it. There was a website where I'd download a lot of characters and then transfer them over via usb on my PS3. I had Link, Mario, Mega Man, Kratos, etc. And of course, it's pretty fun to create your own character.

I've had that game sitting on my pile of stuff to be played for the longest time.  I really need to check it out.

Yeah - if I had a complaint about the game it is that it seems like you have to headshot a guy 3 times for him to die.

I understand if I am hitting them in the chest - especially since they have armor.

But three shots to the dome is BS

Yep, that's the #1 complaint with the first Uncharted.  It's ridiculous how much it takes to bring down enemies.  And, yes, they did fix it somewhat with the second game.

So finished off the last two top-level enemies in Rainbow Moon.  First one was no problem, wiped him out without issue.  Second one?  Well...yeah.  Basically, the enemy is so overpowered that the only possible strategy for success is to use the other enemies in the battle for cover.  Surround yourself with lesser enemies that don't do much damage and the big guy won't attack you.  But you have to position him right or he'll move into place and attack you.  And so you then have to kill the guy off without killing any of the other enemies.  It's the most ridiculous, unfair, tedious, annoying boss battle I've ever seen.  On my third or fourth try, I finally got the setup right so that the boss couldn't attack my guys.  I ended up sacrificing one of my characters because she was doing barely any damage and was just standing there taking damage from other enemies, slowing the whole process down.  So I was down to two characters - and one of those two couldn't even hit the main boss!  The main boss in his round of attacks would usually do somewhere between 2,000,000 and 3,000,000 points of damage - on characters that have roughly 4,500,000 hit points.  So you're constantly trying to heal.  And your guys?  Well, they do about 8,000 points on the boss.  And he's got 10,000,000 hit points.  So, yeah, roughly 1200 attacks to take the guy out.  The whole thing took me like 3 hours.  

But I'm such a masochist I started up a new game so I can get the one freaking trophy I got screwed out of.  Lord help me, I'm a moron.

• Like 2