DVDVR Message Board

Non NHL Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I think I'm gonna regret not being in a bar for this one. 2-0 Canada, 2.5 minutes in. Russia switching goalies already. Long way from being over though. It is fucking Russia, after all.

I can't think of any national sports rivalries as good as Canada-Russia hockey. There's probably some soccer rivalry or something that I'm blanking on, but I doubt it.

That's a good one too. That one is lessened by the fact that there are literally no other good teams. It's a rivalry by default more than anything. The games are fantastic, but also inevitable. It's too bad that Russia's women's team isn't on par with the North American teams.

This Domi/Reinhart/Duclair line has been insane all night. This is probably the best game of hockey a Domi has ever had (and it's not like Tie was just a useless goon or something).

If Canada is attacking, it's been them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AHL set to announce a California division with teams in San Diego (Anaheim), Bakersfield (Edmonton), Stockton (Calgary), Ontario (LA) and San Jose (San Jose - Cow Palace?).

AHL set to announce a California division with teams in San Diego (Anaheim), Bakersfield (Edmonton), Stockton (Calgary), Ontario (LA) and San Jose (San Jose - Cow Palace?).

Feel bad for Glens Falls losing another team. Heard they are getting ECHL though. Glad I got my Adirondack Flames one year wonder shirt when I was up there on Saturday. Also SJ is going to play in the shark tank so they'll share venue with the big club.

I have a hard time believing there is *that* much interest in second tier hockey in California but hey dem travel costs, not to mention a lot of happy minor league players that are in CALIFORNIA instead of EVERYWHERE ELSE. I mean really if the NHL parent clubs are handling the bills (and I have no idea if they are), with the current TV money I'm not really sure it matters anymore.

Edmonton's team in OKC has been struggling for attendance so I knew they were moving a while ago. Rest of the announcement caught be a bit out of the blue.

There's still a lot of Gulls nostalgia down here, so I'm excited for them to get the name wrong and flush all that easy fanbase money down the drain.

Also, that San Diego is now the farm for the goddamn Disney Ducks makes me feel like I did something wrong and karma is here to make recompense.

there are my two hockey posts, see you next year everybody

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A lot of junior and minor hockey dominoes moving today. The Belleville Bulls are sold and will be moving to Hamilton. Montreal will move their farm team to St John's for a couple of years until the rink in Laval is finished and Winnipeg will move their farm team to Winnipeg. I guess may as well let Hamilton fail again as an OHL town.

• 2 weeks later...

Between Yale and Quinnipiac this has been a real shitty day for Connecticut college hockey. Add the Danbury Whalers probably folding shortly and this week has fucking sucked.