DVDVR Message Board

Non NHL Omnibus thread

odessasteps

• 1 month later...

North American sporting events are ludicrous. I hope the supporter groups in Germany win their battle against clubs hiking up prices. They won't but at least they aren't taking it so easily like the rest of the world.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish I could post the pic from Twitter, but the Milwaukee Admirals are doing a bobblehead of DA' CRUSHER!!! This is officially the greatest thing in human history.

Not news: KHL awards expansion team.

News: to Beijing.

I am so buying their jersey from aliexpress when it comes out. I also want the team to be named the Bejing Pandas because that would probably lead to an epic logo.

Old time hockey "fun" in the SPHL, as Columbus Cottonmouths coach Jerome Bechard allegedly ordered a "hit" on Peoria Rivermen star goalie Kyle Rank over the weekend as retaliation for the Rivs bumping the Columbus goalie. Rank is out with a concussion from the hit.

Peoria coach Jean-Guy Trudel is having none of it from Columbus.

This is fact: The Rivermen, in three games all-time against Szabados, now have scored 18 goals on 139 shots and notched three wins. Trudel had an assessment of that, none to gentle either.

"We had a collision with Shannon Szabados early in the game. Yes," Trudel said Saturday. "Does Bechard really think we're trying to knock Shannon Szabados out of the game? We've scored 18 goals on her in three games. We WANT Shannon Szabados in the net against us."

Are there any theories that attempt to explain the decline in the quality of Canadian goaltending over the past decade or two? Today's loss certainly wasn't just on McDonald but he certainly looks to be the latest in the line of below average Canadian goalies.

Personally, I blame Marc-Andre Fleury.

WJC has been good so far. I missed out on the Finland/Russia game but caught the Finland/Czech game from this morning. Good God, what a game and a reminder of how much fun hockey can be. Finns win on the back of a few shady calls but I'd rather have phantom calls and too many penalties than the steaming pile the NHL is serving up. 

This has to be a bottom 3 Canadian team since Hockey Canada started the Program of Excellence started 30 years ago. Shit goaltending (Blackwood has comical rebound control), a really bad PP, and an even worse PK. One high end player in Strome and a bunch of dudes. Virtanen reeks of bust. Other teams have caught up to Canada in terms of skill and physicality too. There have been some great hits from teams other than Canada throughout the round robin stage. I don't care about how well Canada does after seeing them dominate the tournament for so long, so it's nice to see other teams really show them up once in a while. The Finns aren't great but I'd say they're probably slight favourites with home ice advantage and the Canadians will be pretty down in terms of morale.

Canada has done this a couple times on their down years in the last decade, taken a team that's honestly overloaded on 19 year olds. It doesn't really seem like 19 to 20 should be THAT big a difference but the reality suggests that it makes a very big one.

Not really fussed if we go out to Finland in the quarters because pretty clearly there are better teams in the tournament overall. You know the Fins will be up for it too, going to be a tough game. Sweden's team has been very strong so far. Switzerland were all over the fucking place, gave Canada a great fight, honestly embarrassed themselves against Denmark and the USA. Really weird. I enjoy this tournament a lot but I try not to get overly caught up in putting too much meaning on it.

Even if CAN YOU BELIEVE IT was one of the 10 best things in hockey, like, ever.

• 1 month later...