DVDVR Message Board

Non NHL Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Yeah USA's junior teams have been just as good as ours the last 5 years really. It makes for great viewing. Sweden seem like the head of the pack in Europe now to me. Russia, I can't fathom some of the stuff they do. Some really good players but I just don't understand Russian coaching/systems, sorry.

I am not happy the Oilers didn't let Leon Draisaitl play in this thing for Germany. Especially because it seems still possible he will be sent back to junior hockey before the year is out. This isn't really surprising news but I'm not totally sure the Oilers know what they're doing.

Please tell me you're not just figuring this out.

I've wanted Lowe fired since he traded Ryan Smyth and made my mom cry.

True story.

• Like 1

Only caught a bit of the 3rd between Russia and Sweden but it looked a heckuva game. That sequence where the puck was on the line twice in one shot was ridiculous.

Also... dat TSN Spengler Cup theme song. :)

Miss those goofballs.

• Like 2

Yes but that first period being 0-0 was somewhat hard to believe (for both). Such a great period. Game could have been very different. USA were just lightning fast in that first.

Probably the most amazing thing about this rivalry is that the games keep delivering. You're never wasting your time watching these teams play.

And, while Canada did have possession, the States' faster players had a handful of chances by getting behind Canada's D. High end scoring chances to be had. They could counterpunch Canada in a rematch and it wouldn't be surprising in the least.

LOL, the Slovaks were so pumped to medal that they hopped on the ice with 3 seconds left. Pretty fantastic game between them and Sweden. Denis Godla should get drafted this year, they'd have been a regulation risk without him. He's small, but he's definitely earned a chance.

First medal since the 99 Winnipeg juniors, where people chipped in to get them matching helmets and gloves. International hockey is great.

Slovakia are not fast but they played smart. Helps having a killer goalie performance.

I think Martin Reway might make it in the NHL even being a little guy without a ton of speed. He seems to survive mostly on just out-thinking people. Montreal have a pretty good track record with little guys so he's probably at the right club too.

. Denis Godla should get drafted this year, they'd have been a regulation risk without him. He's small, but he's definitely earned a chance.

I always find it weird when starting goalies from the world juniors go undrafted in general, even if they have some obvious problem be it size or technical issues. Is a 7th round pick better spent on a goalie project with some international experience, or, like, the 140th best player in the OHL? I dunno. The risk/reward seems to make sense to just take a shot.