DVDVR Message Board

Non NHL Omnibus thread

odessasteps

You're braver than I if you're going near there today.

I get not everyone is going to like every player. I mean, I don't like Rick Nash. I'm surprised about Jeff Cater. But come on this team is nothing less than great.

Hockeydb not hfboards!  I was looking up these KHL scrubs that Russia put on their team instead of Yakupov.

• Like 1

The "international hockey" card is a particular hoot, since Nash was a key member of the 2006 team that was, you know, the greatest disaster in Canadian hockey and all that. Hell, it was pretty much the moment when Nash's reputation got shot to hell publicly in the first place.

You guys talked me out of Taylor Hall. But in 2014 there's literally nothing Nash does better than Hall of any consequence. Though I'd give that spot to Giroux, thanks very much, seems clear he'd be next up in the pecking order if there's an injury. In no universe would I ever suggest Hall goes on the team before Giroux. I'm an Oilers fan not a lunatic. Also it was pointed out today that Marty St. Louis actually has the most points in the NHL since the last Olympics, so...

In the end it's probably a minor quibble. I won't lose any sleep over it, as mystifying as it is.

Just saw the Team Canada lineup. Really glad Yzerman was smart enough to put Chris Kunitz on the team. He and Sid have incredible chemistry. For whatever reason, it's not that easy to play on Sid's wing as was shown in last year's playoffs when Iginla did fuck all on his line. It takes time to get used to his crazy freewheelin' style of play no matter how talented you may be.

Plus, we saw last Olympics how teammates or former teammates - I'm remembering Orpik and Scuderi on Team USA - tend to have an advantage thanks to natural familiarity.

Oh and add me to the Fuck Rick Nash brigade. Guy is an overrated assclown. There's nothing he brings to the table that someone like say James Neal doesn't do 10x better.

• 2 weeks later...

There is an article on the SI website (think it may be in the print edition) on the greatest team in the history of hockey, the DANBURY TRASHERS! It is a must read if you don't know their story. For more fun go on Youtube and look up "Danbury Trashers" and see the legend for yourself!

You know people got so caught up in the Bobby Ryan not making the Olympics thing, but the US might have more egg on there face not taking Okposo. A Point Per Game player not making team USA when Dustin Brown who has 17 poins in 32 games this year does...

In hindsight, I'd take Callihan and Brown out, and put in Okposo and Saad. I'd run something that looks like...

Parise-Kesler-Kane

Van Riemsdyk-Stastny-Kessel

Pacioretty-Pavelski-Okposo

Saad-Backes-Oshie

Wheeler

Just some last minute second guessing though. I'd be confident in running all 4 lines against just about anyone: not as good as the Canadians, not as skilled as the Russians, but a lot of things that could work, with Wheeler plugging in wherever he's needed.

• 2 weeks later...