DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

I was planning on dropping the observer for the network. I can afford both but why should I do both?

As they fulfil didn't needs.

What?

didn't = different

Oh. Not for me they don't. They both kind of exist for me to reminisce about old shit. Now I'll just be watching the old shit.

I mean I read the current Observers and stuff but I get far more pleasure out of the old ones. I don't listen to the podcasts. They bug me.

I agree completely with Meltzer's analysis of the Bryan angle. The idea that creative is kind of scripting this "revolution" and getting the hardcore fans more and more fired up is dead on. Now, this is assuming that they don't stop watching, of course. There's a line you have to really straddle. If people still believe that the babyface get the big win, they'll stick with it. If they think things will eventually get mucked up, then you're WCW.

• Like 3

I liked Bryan correcting Dave about 10 times over saying it was the "Battle of Cleveland" not "Battle for Cleveland" and it never registered with Dave for some reason. Then when Dave came around to what Bryan was saying, there was just a ton of contempt in his voice. They are that married couple that drinks way too often and neither can stand each other.

But the make-up sex is great! ...
Holy Christ, you just described my marriage better than any therapist could. It's like you're hiding in my closet.

I agree completely with Meltzer's analysis of the Bryan angle. The idea that creative is kind of scripting this "revolution" and getting the hardcore fans more and more fired up is dead on. Now, this is assuming that they don't stop watching, of course. There's a line you have to really straddle. If people still believe that the babyface get the big win, they'll stick with it. If they think things will eventually get mucked up, then you're WCW.

Is a "he can lose, he gets more over by losing" mentality really a script of a revolution?

You never manipulate the crowd, is a two way relationship. The crowd is predisposed to like some guys, like some gimmicks, attitudes, segments etc. and dislike others. It comes from the fans education on wrestling and values over the years. So, to manipulate them you've got to know them and I think that WWE on the last months has missed most of their main event angles. They totally missed out on the Rumble. They obviously didn't want to sacrifice an important PPV to get Bryan over when Bryan wasn't even schedule for a relevant match at Mania.

Yes, WWE has to play with the reactions of the fans, embrace them and make it part of a major storyline, but the idea they are scripting it, that they scripted the turn on the Wyatts with a nonsense excuse and that they scripted that Bryan asked to be on the Rumble but denied (which was only turned public after the Rumble itself! Beforehand Bryan challenged Bray because he wasn't in the Rumble and seemed to be aware that would mean the he wouldn't be on the Rumble either).

Crowd and creative play into each other, it's not like creative can determine that Cody Rhodes is gonna be the top draw from now on but they just choose to "script" John Cena as such.

On Bryan/Dave: I always love when Dave says something weird or crazy, Bryan doesn't say a thing and then on other show just goes "I thought Dave was completely out of his mind the other day."

I'm always amazed that, over the past seven years, Alvarez has become a really astute and talented interviewer, yet makes a total fool of himself at least once a show when discussing wrestling/MMA current events and news.

It was also utterly surreal to hear Quack actually talk about storytelling and angles after years of his frequent and often comical refusal to break kayfabe in ostensibly real-world discussions.

I always tried to talk to quack about anything but the wrestling itself. That usually worked.

Also, as i said in the WOTD thread, drink whenver he says "performance art."

For a totally entertaning kayfabe interview, listen to the House to Astonish guys interview leonard f chikarason on their wrestling spinoff pod.

• Like 1

And my interview on Wrestlefolks for a completely different take on things! /shill

How did you end up doing commentary for AIW? Did you just happen to go to the shows or do you have some "input" on the company's workings?

Also, link for the wrestlefolks thing?

And my interview on Wrestlefolks for a completely different take on things! /shill

How did you end up doing commentary for AIW? Did you just happen to go to the shows or do you have some "input" on the company's workings?

Also, link for the wrestlefolks thing?

The podcast can be found here: http://wrestlefolks.wordpress.com/

As for AIW, after CHIKARA shut down, I half heartedly looked for more work and they were the only ones to reach out to me. They have a show this Friday headlined by Michael Elgin vs. Drake Younger and Kevin Steen vs. Ethan Page, check them out, they're awesome!

http://aiwrestling.com/tgif.php

/lastshill