DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

I can't imagine him being looked at for even a small world title run during that comeback, not with Austin, Rock, Taker, and Hunter all being in the main event picture.

You are forgetting how many of a coup signing Davey was during the Owen Hart death lawsuit time.

A little surprised that the results of the UFC Fight Night from Singapore wasn't posted on the site until just recently and even that in house show like format.  as far as I know the show was over about 3 or 4 hours ago.  It can't be because it was an online FightPass show because Meltzer is known to get up before 5 in the morning to watch the New Japan PPV. 

Maybe he didn't care about the show either. 

A little surprised that the results of the UFC Fight Night from Singapore wasn't posted on the site until just recently and even that in house show like format.  as far as I know the show was over about 3 or 4 hours ago.  It can't be because it was an online FightPass show because Meltzer is known to get up before 5 in the morning to watch the New Japan PPV. 

Maybe he didn't care about the show either.

I presume Dave stayed up to watch the Egg Dome show, which probably ended in the early morning in San Jose.

Maybe someone else was going to post them..

I still need to finish the final 30 minute show, but the first 2 shows were very fun to listen to.

First show was mostly Tokyo Dome with some UFC. Second show started with UFC and I skipped it. I think its about 15 minutes of just that to start. They throw in a bit of MMA throughout the show since they talked about some of the bad matches in Tokyo Dome shows back when New Japan was fixated in MMA. Rest is Meltzer rummaging thru printouts of emails! You can hear him skip through a page per email! It was great! Had some fun questions and some repetitive questions (like getting asked what he thought about the nWo again). There was also some dude who asked if they thought that within 1 year if Ronda Rousey would be more popular than Serena Williams and they actually discussed that for a bit, which seemed silly. Good shows though.

I think its pretty clear Bryan's master plan is to hook Dave Meltzer to a phone and do 24 hours of live streaming audio via Dave. :)

Rousey might have more mainstream crossover appeal than Serena (don't see Serena doing movies) but from a Q-rating, Serena is one of the most famous women athletes on the planet. So yeah, silly, but Rousey could viably become an action movie star.  

Rousey might have more mainstream crossover appeal than Serena (don't see Serena doing movies) but from a Q-rating, Serena is one of the most famous women athletes on the planet. So yeah, silly, but Rousey could viably become an action movie star.  

what's Gina doing these days?

• Like 1

what's Gina doing these days?

Fast and Furious 6, which made almost 800 million worldwide.

Expendables 3 won't make that much money, but it'll be a hit and if Rousey shows any charisma at all she'll get more work.

Now, MMA athletes will never get the endorsement deals or exposure of more mainstream sports stars, though.

It was story time from Dave on Twitter again last night

Dave Meltzer ‏@davemeltzerWON 13h
I don't think they took it from them, but the ending of Goto vs. Shibata was  similar to the finish of Toyota vs. Yamada's 1992 hair match

Toyota v Yamada hair match is still the best live pro wrestling match I've ever seen.

Sean Waltman was supposed to come with me and see it and got talked out of it.  When I saw him later and told him it was best match I'd

ever seen, I wasn't even trying to make him feel bad.  2,000 teenage girls hysterically crying in post-match.

20 years later I realize how fortunate I was to see that era of All Japan women's wrestling.  Sunday at Noon at Korakuen Hall some of

the best shows I've ever seen.

Once I was out way too late on Saturday night, had to rush to Korakuen and got there halfway thru Hokuto vs. Debbie Malenko singles match.

Learned my lesson, no more 4 a.m. nights in Tokyo before All Japan women at Noon.

And then there was this footnote
@NewJapanGaijin Toyota & Yamada got back together after that match.  I think that's why I think it's similar.
  • Like 1

Out of all of that, the story I most want to hear is what Dave was doing out in Tokyo until 4am. This is where we'd have a scene with Dave playing for his organs with the Yakuza.

12/4/1996 WON:

They did an interview with Olympic gold medalist Kurt Angle who did commentary on the match with Taz beating Little Guido. Taz said that Angle was the best amateur wrestler in the world but that he was going to show him the difference between the best amateur wrestler and the best professional wrestler. He then showed him a tape of Kenta Kobashi. Just kidding. 

It was a bit amazing to read that and realize the plan must've been for Angle's first big debut ECW match to be against Taz. And probably for Taz to win, given the way ECW was using Taz as the shooter who could beat real guys. Instead, Angle freaks out over the crucifixion angle, doesn't join ECW, eventually goes to WWE...and happens to lose to the debuting Tazz. 

It is a good thing Kurt didn't end up in ECW - he might have ended up taking stupid risks, destroying his body and battling drug addiction. (For less money.)

The ironic thing is that if Kurt did go to WCW, I could actually see him booked as a guy like Malenko or Guerrero where he doesn't do any of the hardcore stuff because Paul would want him to standout as being a 'pure' wrestler who gets by without having to do any risky stuff. Granted, even without weapons and all that he worked a high impact style, but he was involved in some WWE/F brawls with weapons that maybe he doesn't get involved in with ECW.

That's probably a stretch but still a possibility.