DVDVR Message Board

2024 SPRING TRAINING

RIPPA

Darryl Strawberry had a heart attack Monday

Though he posted on Instagram "that all is well"

Today is his 62nd birthday

Aaron Judge had an MRI done on his abdomen because he's feeling a lot of discomfort when he swings.  

He said it came back clean and he should be ready for Opening Day.   (But keep an eye on this space)

Per Aaron Boone today

• Gerrit Cole is having more testing today
  • Nothing definitive to announce
  • Will be a couple more days before "everyone weighs in"
  • Difficult to envision Cole starting Opening Day

I will probably regret saying this but it sounds like it isn't "Oh fuck - Tommy John time" but it also sounds like at least a couple of weeks

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Per Aaron Boone today

• Gerrit Cole is having more testing today
  • Nothing definitive to announce
  • Will be a couple more days before "everyone weighs in"
  • Difficult to envision Cole starting Opening Day

I will probably regret saying this but it sounds like it isn't "Oh fuck - Tommy John time" but it also sounds like at least a couple of weeks

It's almost very likely "Fuck, we need to give Boras money for Snell" time though.

• Like 1

Well their first choice was to connect back with the White Sox and see if they can pry Dylan Cease away

However - reports say that the latest offer still doesn't contain the name "Spencer Jones" so Chicago probably hung up the phone

Gerrit Cole will miss 1-2 months (assuming the surgeon doesn't end up finding something worse)

To quote from the article

Several Yankees doctors and ElAttrache have viewed Cole’s preliminary film, and while none has detected a tear in his ulnar collateral ligament, there’s enough concern about the ligament that ElAttrache has suggested an in-person visit.

• Sad 1

Gerrit Cole will due non-surgical rehab on his elbow (which as the recommendation from the doctors)

1-2 months is the speculated time he will miss

Of course, the ominous thing for Yankee fans is the way all the stories are written "won't need surgery... for now"

The Padres are gonna name Jackson Merrill their starting CF

That means there will be days when San Diego’s lineup will be a catcher and 8 converted SS

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Joey Gallo and Mike Zunino put in some serious work on that list.

So did Austin Hedges, who has rejoined the Guardians in an attempt to move up the list.

That list is essentially my life force. 

Blake Snell is a Giant with half his 2024 salary deferred as a signing bonus in 2026, 2/62 with an opt out. Some luxury tax fuckery but he has a home. 

Edited by TimLivingston

5 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Me, seeing several (NL) teams repped by pitchers on that list, and shedding a wistful tear for what once was

Detroit, too. Earl Wilson was a power hitter who hit 7 homers in a season twice. His 7 home runs in 1968 were 9th on the team for the Tigers. 

• Like 1

The Yankees are playing a game in Mexico City against a team from the Mexican League

A team that happens to have Robinson Cano

A team that just announced that Trevor Bauer will start the game for them (source on that is apparently Trevor Bauer himself)

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This might be my favorite stupid chart ever

Not surprising that over a third of the list is catchers, but good for Mike Zunino, Austin Hedges, and Jeff Mathis for making the list for two teams a piece.  

Yes technically the season started but I am not starting the new thread for two games that no one is watching

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Yes technically the season started but I am not starting the new thread for two games that no one is watching

I mean, just because the game is awful doesn't mean no one is watching...