DVDVR Message Board

2024 Puroresu General Discussion

lostinube

Posted (edited)

El Desperado is going to have a show called the Despe Invitacional on 6/10 at Korakuen. The gimmick is no participants and no card will be announced beforehand.

https://despe-invi.com/

Completely unrelated but because I saw it at the same time, GLEAT's Check Shimatani went to Uganda to see that SGW thing you've probably all seen online by now.

Edited by lostinube

NJPW Windy City Riot:

Spoiler

This was a pretty damn great show.  No doubt, the first spoiler you'll see is Mox taking the title from Naito.  I'm totally fine with that.  It creates intrigue going forward and Moxley instantly lined up some defenses against young challengers in the post-match promo and ensuing angle.  

A few other thoughts:

-Stephanie Vaquer is astoundingly great at this moment in time.  So crisp in her execution, and she's clearly more rudo than before, with a menacing aura.  AZM was a terrific opponent and such a sympathetic character for the crowd to root for as well.  It would be ridiculous to not further capitalize on Vaquer's momentum at this point...maybe something at Forbidden Door?   

-The tag team 4-way was lots of fun, and the crowd really got into it.  I was happy to see TMDK finally win some titles, although I do believe the West Coast Wrecking Crew came out of the match looking the best, they really won the crowd over.  

-The Jack Perry-Umino match was truly something to behold.  Words cannot do it justice.  If you have any way to watch this match, I implore you to see it.  It was quite the happening.  The crowd was kind of unglued and chaotic at times, randomly chanting anti and pro Perry-related chants, but Perry himself should get the credit for really nailing this performance.  Umino was the passenger in this dangerous vehicle and he played his part well.  I'd say whatever this was, it worked.  I was thoroughly entertained.  

-ZSJ vs. Riddle was beautiful to watch, and while I don't know how I feel about Zack having the belt again...well, I mean, I'm glad he beat Riddle (or didn't lose, in other words).  So, all is well.  Another possible talking point will be the way Riddle just up and left after the match, smiling and being all bro-like despite the loss.  Seemed like a "final match with the company" type of thing.  Match was great, but I also won't miss him.  Weird how that is.  

-I enjoyed everything on this card, top to bottom.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Evil Otto said:

NJPW Windy City Riot:

Reveal hidden contents

This was a pretty damn great show.  No doubt, the first spoiler you'll see is Mox taking the title from Naito.  I'm totally fine with that.  It creates intrigue going forward and Moxley instantly lined up some defenses against young challengers in the post-match promo and ensuing angle.  

A few other thoughts:

-Stephanie Vaquer is astoundingly great at this moment in time.  So crisp in her execution, and she's clearly more rudo than before, with a menacing aura.  AZM was a terrific opponent and such a sympathetic character for the crowd to root for as well.  It would be ridiculous to not further capitalize on Vaquer's momentum at this point...maybe something at Forbidden Door?   

-The tag team 4-way was lots of fun, and the crowd really got into it.  I was happy to see TMDK finally win some titles, although I do believe the West Coast Wrecking Crew came out of the match looking the best, they really won the crowd over.  

-The Jack Perry-Umino match was truly something to behold.  Words cannot do it justice.  If you have any way to watch this match, I implore you to see it.  It was quite the happening.  The crowd was kind of unglued and chaotic at times, randomly chanting anti and pro Perry-related chants, but Perry himself should get the credit for really nailing this performance.  Umino was the passenger in this dangerous vehicle and he played his part well.  I'd say whatever this was, it worked.  I was thoroughly entertained.  

-ZSJ vs. Riddle was beautiful to watch, and while I don't know how I feel about Zack having the belt again...well, I mean, I'm glad he beat Riddle (or didn't lose, in other words).  So, all is well.  Another possible talking point will be the way Riddle just up and left after the match, smiling and being all bro-like despite the loss.  Seemed like a "final match with the company" type of thing.  Match was great, but I also won't miss him.  Weird how that is.  

-I enjoyed everything on this card, top to bottom.  

Spoiler

I don’t know the ins and outs of current New Japan, but it’s very cool to see Moxley be the first to win the WWE, AEW, and New Japan Championship. He’s had a very interesting career so far.

The cards for Satsuma no Kuni on 4/29 and the two nights of Dontaku on 5/3 and 5/4 have been announced if someone wants to make a thread about that.

Satsuma no Kuni will be headlined by Hiromu/BUSHI taking on the War Dogs and DOUKI versus SHO.

Night One of Dontaku is ZSJ and Cobb for the TV title and oldfat Tanahashi versus Nic Nemeth for the IWGP US title.

Night Two is Gabe Kidd and Shingo fighting for the NEVER Title and Mox versus Narita for the IWGP title.

• Like 2

There's also a fun looking Korakuen card with a LIJ vs War Dogs series featuring Shingo vs Clark Connors, Naito vs Drilla Moloney and Hiromu vs Shingo. KOPW is on the line on one of those Road to shows with  O-Khan vs Uemura.

I think Cobb beats Zack so Zack can properly move on to bigger things.  I'm guessing most other champions retain, could see Hiromu finally getting a Jr tag run though.

• Like 1

NOAH is alright, but AJPW is the more interesting promotion. AJPW also had longer stretches of better or more interesting booking since the 00s. AJPW also actually gets their top guys eventually over.

Considering AJPW’s longstanding policy of making current foreigners  cosplay as famous foreigners of the past, I’m surprised they haven’t put Cyrus in Vader’s ring gear, dressed Lord Crewe up like Brody, etc.

• Like 1

Did i really just see Mitsuo Momota on the newest  GanPro show? 🤯 Didn't look a day over 60.

Edited by assfax
Upon further watching I realize the show is from 2019

Copied from some page that showed up in my feed on Facebook that I don't even subscribe to, so, ya know, grains of salt and all. Somebody else verify.

Yota Tsuji criticized AEW's decision to have Powerhouse Will Hobbs challenge Jon Moxley for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship. Tsuji made some pretty valid points.

"Where was the value of the IWGP? If Moxley has agreed to be the champion, then he certainly has the right to fight for the title. The problem is that New Japan Pro-Wrestling didn't say anything about it. What is that feeling? I wonder if they don't feel any discomfort with that. I feel nothing but disgust and displeasure.

"[Hobbs] may be a great fighter, but it's strange that a fighter who has no connection to New Japan and has never been to New Japan is suddenly challenging for the top belt, even if he doesn't win the [New Japan Cup]. I wonder if he has a visa. Even if he were to win the belt, would he be able to come to Fukuoka? I wonder how long they'll continue to be beholden to AEW, which has no respect for the IWGP. We are lowering the value of the pinnacle by ourselves, and I think we have to break out of this situation."

• Like 2

I’d also be about this getting Hobbs in the G1 this year. That would be rad he’d be great to send over instead of Archer as a G1 big guy, no offense to Archer he does great work in the G1 but Hobbs would be so fresh.

• Like 1

Question for those who are more well versed in the Japanese indy scene and Japanese MMA scene than I am. This Yutaka Kobayashi who worked the 4/17 GLEAT UWF show, was this is pro debut or does he have much pro wrestling experience? I can only find an MMA profile for him. I've only seen the one match from him, but he's already jumped toward the top of my favorite guys who work GLEAT.