DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2024 & Beyond)

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

I'm really hoping it's an actual game and not a GAAS gatcha shitshow.  It being Epic doesn't give hope.

It’s not Epic. It was only at an Epic (Unreal) showcase because it’s being developed using UE5.

I am sure I will play it but per the official description you play as all four characters from the trailer at different points which doesn’t exactly thrill me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

It’s not Epic. It was only at an Epic (Unreal) showcase because it’s being developed using UE5.

Oops, that's what I get for not reading the full article I got the video from.

This is probably "big" enough to mention here and not just in the BG3 thread

At a Game Developers Conference (GDC) panel today, Larian Studios founder Swen Vincke dropped something of a bombshell by revealing that the developer isn't planning to release any expansions or DLC for Baldur's Gate 3, nor a Baldur's Gate 4.

Instead, Vincke said at the panel, Larian plans to move away from Dungeons & Dragons entirely and do something new, leaving the IP in Wizards of the Coast's hands.

https://www.ign.com/articles/larian-studios-wont-make-baldurs-gate-3-dlc-expansions-or-baldurs-gate-4

• Like 1

I haven't read the linked article, but I'm curious whether this was actually Larian's choice or Hasbro's (Hasbro being WotC's parent company).

My understanding was that Baldur's Gate 3 was pretty successful, so it would surprise me if Larian deliberately chose not to do follow-ups.

6 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I haven't read the linked article, but I'm curious whether this was actually Larian's choice or Hasbro's (Hasbro being WotC's parent company).

My understanding was that Baldur's Gate 3 was pretty successful, so it would surprise me if Larian deliberately chose not to do follow-ups.

They way they are talking it sounds very much like they are tired of working in the D&D Universe and want to other things

A Larian Studios representative corroborated IGN’s report in an email to Kotaku, sending over the following quote from Vincke’s talk that “sums [the situation] up” pretty well:

I told you at the beginning that we were a company of big ideas. We are not a company that’s made to create DLCs [or] expansions. We tried that actually, a few times, and it failed every single time. It’s not our thing. Life is too short, our ambitions are very large. And so, like Gustav [the codename for BG3, taken from Swen’s dog who recently passed away], Baldur’s Gate will always have a warm spot in our hearts. We’ll forever be proud of it, but we’re not going to continue in it.

We’re not going to make new expansions, which everybody is expecting us to do. We’re not going to make Baldur’s Gate 4, which everybody is expecting us to do. We’re going to move on. We’re going to move away from D&D, and we’re going to start making a new thing. I’m saying it here because I have a forum and [we’re getting] bombarded by people that expect us to do these things, but that’s not for us. It’s going to be up to Wizards of the Coast, because it’s their IP, to find somebody to take over the torch. We think we did our job and so, for us, it’s time to get a new puppy.

Baldur's Gate 3 is still hanging around in the top 10 most concurrent players on Steam, which is downright incredible for a full price single player experience. Everything else on the list is your free to play and/or multiplayer behemoths. Well, and right now Stardew Valley has returned to the top 10 so I assume it's on sale again. It's very hard to think of the last single player focussed title that maintained this sort of momentum on the charts for this long, so even based solely on PC sales Larian made insane amounts of bank. 

Walking away from doing DLC or BG4 is absolutely leaving 9 figures on the table for the company, because hey, maybe they have enough money. What a novel idea.

5 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Baldur's Gate 3 is still hanging around in the top 10 most concurrent players on Steam, which is downright incredible for a full price single player experience. Everything else on the list is your free to play and/or multiplayer behemoths. Well, and right now Stardew Valley has returned to the top 10 so I assume it's on sale again. 

Not sure if it's on sale or not, but Stardew just got its first patch in years so it's got people coming back after being away for a long time.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 2:58 PM, Death From Above said:

Well, and right now Stardew Valley has returned to the top 10 so I assume it's on sale again.l

Major update that added tons of content. Been highly anticipated for years. 

• Like 1

Marvel is getting a game that’s a third person Overwatch clone, called Rivals, made by NetEase (yikes!). Not sure if it’s a paid or free game, or any details besides the roster, the key art and what the in-game art (not in-game models) look like. But they’ll be showing it all off today.

Rumored to be console & PC, but it being NetEase it might be mobile as well. Or just mobile and PC. Who knows.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Marvel is getting a game that’s a third person Overwatch clone, called Rivals, made by NetEase (yikes!). Not sure if it’s a paid or free game, or any details besides the roster, the key art and what the in-game art (not in-game models) look like. But they’ll be showing it all off today.

Rumored to be console & PC, but it being NetEase it might be mobile as well. Or just mobile and PC. Who knows.

And here's the trailer:

I don’t hate it honestly. It’s F2P, so naturally will come with (probably) a battle pass, etc and be highly predatory. But I’m a sucker for Marvel games, what can I say?

The closed beta is PC only, and they say upon release the first place it’s dropping is Steam, so… who knows. I think they’d be crazy not to release this on consoles personally, but that’s just me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Star Wars Outlaws: Story Trailer

Please don't suck

Please don't suck

Buddy of mine is mad there isn't a statue or a lightsaber or an actual item for the Gold and Ultimate edition. I told him I thought this is basically Ubisoft's last shot as a publisher. He'll still get it day 1 though.

• 3 weeks later...