DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023/24 - WEEK SEVENTEEN

Dolfan in NYC

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Insane, yet somehow plausible scenario...

Cleveland beats Cincinnati next week.  

Baltimore loses to both Miami and Pittsburgh.

Miami loses to Buffalo....

Guess who gets the #1 seed. 

It's not that insane,  the Browns have been good all year,  last year they were ok,  the year before they won a playoff game. They are talented at almost every position, and are finally getting competent quarterback play. They're actually on schedule for what they're trying to build. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

It's not that insane,  the Browns have been good all year,  last year they were ok,  the year before they won a playoff game. They are talented at almost every position, and are finally getting competent quarterback play. They're actually on schedule for what they're trying to build. 

Insane, in the fact that they're doing this on their 4th quarterback and without their best running back, who's been out all season.  AND they'd be beating two teams with the best offenses in the league. The Brownies having a very small shot at pulling the inside straight and ending at the 1 seed...  that's incredible.  And this is regardless of whether or not they actually pull it off or not. The fact that they're in the playoffs is crazy enough.  

Stefanski went from calls for his head early this season to very potentially winning coach of the year. And I think it's easy to say, they're the team absolutely no one wants to have to play in the playoffs right now. 

I had to tell my partner after the Cooper 245 yard game - because he was still expecting this to all fall apart - every once in a while, you have to really take stock at what has just happened, and allow yourself to smile. Because this sort of thing... it just doesn't happen that often.  

• Like 1

Flacco is proof of something I wrote in week one or two this season. Throwing downfield is the cheat code that is right there for everyone to use,  but everyone is too scared to make a mistake to use it. Flacco drops back sees someone running way down field and says,  "fuck it,  I trust my guy," and throws it deep. It makes the defense have to defend the entire field, which is nearly impossible,  and leads to more big plays,  touchdowns,  and defensive penalties. Sure,  it is going to lead to more turnovers,  but all of those other outcomes are better for an offense than a turnover is bad for an offense. Chuck that bitch downfield as often as possible,  and see what happens. 

• Like 1

Flacco beating a guy that died would be a pretty impressive comeback.

I think people are getting a little too excited about Flacco as he is still very Flacco, but its a fun story so I don't begrudge anyone for getting into it. He definitely would have been better for the Jets than the players they'd gone with this year anyway.

• Like 1

Damar's only played in 5 games and started 0 of them, so if he has a season where he starts or plays regularly, then that might be when he gets Comeback Player of the Year.

then again, Chad Pennington once won AP/PFWA comeback player of the year twice in three years (2006/2008), so... it's not impossible to win CbPOTY in back to back seasons

I’m proud of Joe Flacco but the Jets weren’t ready to play football, which would be an improvement perhaps because of how bad they truly suck at football when they try. The Jags were already falling apart and the last team they beat was the other team Flacco beat. A playoff team would beat the Browns by 3 touchdowns IMO. 

And Idk what’s going on in this Cowboys vs Lions game. It’s about to be a 2 possession game when the team winning has a turnover and a negative yards total besides 1 WR’s yards.

Edited by BloodyChamp

19 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

And Idk what’s going on in this Cowboys vs Lions game. It’s about to be a 2 possession game when the team winning has a turnover and a negative yards total besides 1 WR’s yards.

I can't think of very many games I've ever seen where on consecutive drives both teams got down to goal to go and neither scored a point.

Hey look Mike Mccarthy with horrible clock management late in the 4th quarter allowing the Lions to take the lead in about a minute

Man the Cowboys got lucky as hell on that one.  Dan Campbell aggressiveness cost them.  You would think the 3rd attempt is enough

Edited by hammerva

I know very well that Dan Campbell’s Madden tendencies aren’t always smart but that was more 90s Brett Favre if you ask me on going for 2. He saw the win to be a play away and went for it in that play. He didn’t think there was any other way. Then what was he going to do change his mind just before he was about to bust?

I’d take the Lions in the rematch, and I’d take the Cowboys topping themselves vs the 49ers for the 4th straight time if they have a rematch. 

I understood them going for two when they were on the two as that's fine but still going for it after the penalty (and second penalty) was just insane. His defense had been playing well all things considered, his offense just had a great drive, why risk that instead of going to OT?

11 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Also the Cowboys weren’t going to play Prevent in OT. And is this real? I didn’t see this on TV IIRC.

They showed this on ESPN, Aikman and the ESPN ref said that either the ref didn’t hear #68, or he was trying to be sneaky in how he reported so the Cowboys wouldn’t pick up on it.

I always thought when someone “reported” they yelled at the ref and brushed the front of their jersey?

1 minute ago, Mister TV said:

They showed this on ESPN, Aikman and the ESPN ref said that either the ref didn’t hear #68, or he was trying to be sneaky in how he reported so the Cowboys wouldn’t pick up on it.

I always thought when someone “reported” they yelled at the ref and brushed the front of their jersey?

Ok so what I saw with my eyes happened. That’s all I need to see, no pun intended. There’s no way that anybody but him messed that up, and not by failing to see or hear the 2 giant men talking and signaling to him.

22 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Ok so what I saw with my eyes happened. That’s all I need to see, no pun intended. There’s no way that anybody but him messed that up, and not by failing to see or hear the 2 giant men talking and signaling to him.

Actually there were 3 giant men, why was #58 even over there? The more I thinking about it the Lions were trying to be sneaky and it backfired, they sent 3 players over to the ref with only 1 or 2 of them “reporting” to confuse Dallas.