DVDVR Message Board

DEADL2NE - 12/9/2023

Dolfan in NYC

It's Christmas season!  And it's Gimmick Match~ season!   

Welcome to the final (!) WWE PLE for the year....  it's NXT's Deadline II !

THE CARD~

FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - Ilja Dragunov (c) vs. Baron Corbin

FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP - Dominick Mysterio (c) vs. Wes Dragon Lee

MEN'S IRON SURVIVOR MATCH - Dijak vs. Trick Williams vs. Josh Briggs vs. Bron Breakker vs. Tyler Bate

WOMEN'S IRON SURVIVOR MATCH - Tiffany Stratton vs. Lash Legend vs. Blair Davenport vs. Kelani Jordan vs. Fallon Henley

STEEL CAGE MATCH - Roxanne Perez vs. Kiana James

Carmelo Hayes vs Lexis King

** Axiom vs. Nathan Frazer

--

Iron Survior Matches will determine the next #1 contenders for each gender's world championship. 

** - Pre-show match

After a reign this long I think they have to give someone the big moment, my vote is for Ilja at Mania too. Then maybe have Gunther go for the big belt at the Berlin PLE in August. Has he ever played a face? I can picture Gunther/Roman but it feels like someone would need to shift character to make it work

The alternative is he goes after the Third Title and they have him smash Rollins or Punk (maybe McIntyre) for it. Punk/Gunther is by far the match I want to see right now

I like the idea of Ilja beating Gunther for the IC belt. He beat him for the UK Title when that was a thing and I think they could tell the story that Ilja is the one dude on the roster that has Gunther's number. But I'm good with whatever they do with Gunther down the line as long as he gets to destroy people.

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’d rather see him win a world title while still holding the IC belt. This company seemingly loves tournaments. 

THIS company loves tournaments? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Spent all day playing with my niece and nephew so they would pass out early and I could watch this

I hope Punk's promos getting cut short becomes a running joke, there were a few packages for main roster guys that were not necessary so that was a choice. He had just enough time to make an internet reference Shawn Michaels didn't get

Dragon Lee and Dirty Dom put on a really good opener. Lee is obviously amazing in the ring and for me is tied with Darby Allin for best tope going today, whether he can become a true crossover star is entirely dependent on his promo ability

The Iron Survivor gimmick is okay, feels little TNA to me. There was a lot of fun spots and a ton of great potential stars in the first one, Stratton is a clear talent and I think Legend and Jordan could be huge too. I hope Davenport can make a good run of it, she's been in the game longer than some of the other women and might be getting overtaken

Lexis King (ugh) is getting things together as a heel, match was a little heatless though so he as ways to go. So heatless I did dishes

Not a fan of Nikita Lyons

I thought everyone in the second Iron Survivor looked great, even Briggs who I've found a little underwhelming before. Maybe he and Dijak should team regularly. Loved that they rebuilt the announcer's table so it could be broken again. Fantastic final stretch and I think the right win for the night, let's see if Trick can rise to the occasion

I like Perez, I find Kiana James not good at all. All her stuff is so corny and choreographed and forced, like a bad CAW. I wandered away but I did see that wild Code Red, that ruled

From what I've seen NXT Corbin has been better than main roster Corbin, there's even a dueling chant at the start, but the crowd wasn't with them on this one. Too bad, maybe with more energy to feed off this would have felt better because I think there was a lot of good stuff

• Like 2

Axiom/Frazer from the kickoff show was pretty good. Was nice to see Frazer slow down a pinch and display a little attitude. Glad Axiom won. He has needed a good victory for a while now.

Dom/Dragon was another fairly good match between the two. I'm not big on Dom losing the belt to Lee, but that was probably the original plan anyways, just to Wes instead of Dragon.

Women's Iron Survivor took a bit to get going, but was pretty nice from Kelani's entrance and on. Lash really made the most of it and looked the most impressive she has sans slamming Otis on Tuesday. Kelani got no points, but had a good showcase with the impressive stuff she pulled off. Was happy to see Blair win though this wasn't her best performance.  The match with Lyra will hopefully be better.

Hayes/King was pretty solid though I felt King needed to sell his hand better. 

Men's Iron Survivor was great with tons of neat action and everyone looking impressive. Loved the tease of things ending so poorly for Trick only for that ending stretch to take place. Honestly with how hot they got the crowd this probably should have been the main event. 

Roxanne/Kiana was pretty solid but lacked any decent heat. Going Trick's match didn't help, but I also still think Kiana just has nothing behind her charisma wise. She has also probably reached the limits of her business gimmick.

Ilja/Corbin was good. It has been nice seeing Corbin showing off more of what he can do ring wise in NXT. Dug the finish with Ilja murderign Corbin the way he did. Only change I would have done was to use a diving H-Bomb instead of Torpedo Moscow. I like the latter well enough, but the former always comes across as more brutal and would have fit the story more. 

The matches were all at least solid with some really good stuff coming from the men. I think the Men's Iron Survivor match was MOTN and great overall. Probably would give it to Ilja/Corbin or Axiom/Frazer after that. One thign that was noticeable though was the crowd heat. Could be good at times but also patchy or straight up absent at other times. As much as I enjoy NXT I really do think once again that they need to let them start touring again even if on a small scale shows and buildings wise. I don't think the talent is doing things wrong most of the time. I just think the larger audience at times don't really know them. They also should try to keep these shows down to five matches. Axiom/Frazer, Hayes/King, and Roxanne/Kiana did not really need to be on here despite being solid-good matches. Minor complaints aside this was a good show. NXT continues to be the most consistent thing in WWE when it comes to quality.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I had a late one and managed to catch the main event. It is mental that Corbin has improved a lot, but is still a total chud in the ring. He did far more here than during his main roster run, but also this was a big spotlight main event against a guy who is maybe the best worker on the roster and it was totally forgettable and average. Ilja rules so happy to see him retain, and I did enjoy the first match with Trick a lot, but can't say I care about the rematch. Trick is still pretty green and average. Interesting to see if Hayes gets called up as he's one of the best guys in NXT but not sure he has the size or presence to be more than a flavour of the month on RAW or Smackdown. 

Trick still has moments when I can see the gears turning, his main attribute is his height. Carmello and guys like Tyler Bate are more prepared and may be more talented than Trick but will always swim upstream in WWE

Hayes is currently billed at the exact same height and weight as Bryan Danielson, obviously Danielson has intangibles that allowed him to transcend his 'lack of size' and the question is whether Carmello does too. One of the issues with the NXT system is the same as with any corporation looking to standardized its product, it removes most of the unique qualities that made the product so interesting in the first place. Hayes has been at the PC since he was 19, he's a purely WWE wrestler and may not have the wide array of influences that could help him find those little things that get him over at a higher level

On 11/27/2023 at 2:21 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's Christmas season!  And it's Gimmick Match~ season!   

Welcome to the final (!) WWE PLE for the year....  it's NXT's Deadline II !

THE CARD~

FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - Ilja Dragunov (c) vs. Baron Corbin

FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP - Dominick Mysterio (c) vs. Wes Dragon Lee

MEN'S IRON SURVIVOR MATCH - Dijak vs. Trick Williams vs. Josh Briggs vs. Bron Breakker vs. Tyler Bate

WOMEN'S IRON SURVIVOR MATCH - Tiffany Stratton vs. Lash Legend vs. Blair Davenport vs. Kelani Jordan vs. Fallon Henley

STEEL CAGE MATCH - Roxanne Perez vs. Kiana James

Carmelo Hayes vs Lexis King

** Axiom vs. Nathan Frazer

--

Iron Survior Matches will determine the next #1 contenders for each gender's world championship. 

** - Pre-show match

Quoting to let you know I wished you a happy birthday in said thread as I can't tag you or embed pictures.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Hayes has been at the PC since he was 19, he's a purely WWE wrestler and may not have the wide array of influences that could help him find those little things that get him over at a higher level

Huh? Hayes has only been at the PC since 2021. He started in 2014. He's also 29.

7 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Huh? Hayes has only been at the PC since 2021. He started in 2014. He's also 29.

Whoops, read the wrong info. He worked mostly for Chaotic Wrestling until then so forget that whole point. Always appreciate the correction, Eivion

My overall point is that Danielson used things he picked up from wrestling around the world that were fresh in WWE and I think Hayes might need to have a lot of different tools in his toolbelt to become a main event guy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gorman said:

I looked at the scoreboard with 2 minutes left in the Men's Iron Survivor match and said to myself, "Well, I guess it isn't Trick's night."

Same, I was at a friend's house and I turned to him and said, "this is kind of dirty to do to Trick".

• Like 3