DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2024 OFFSEASON

Cobra Commander

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

I believe that coal mining is one of the few jobs to not get a WWF occupational gimmick

Jim Cornette ran actual coal mining towns, and it never happened while he was in WWF creative. Damn shame.

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Unless those weight rooms can make him grow by 4 inches or so, he's still going to be murdered repeatedly by TE's and WR's.  And god help him if an O Lineman comes out to run block. 

But hey, COACH PRIME got his meme commit.

Though, to be fair, I don't think Saban and his staff would've given the kid preferred walk on status if they didn't see at least a little bit of potential in him. They definitely did not need a low level recruit to bring extra attention because of who his dad is.

I wonder if he's fast enough to move to safety or something.

On 1/17/2024 at 3:48 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

GD_dLs5W8AAz2Qb?format=png&name=small

LB Gage Goldberg (left) has committed to Colorado.

What’s funny/sad is that I vividly remember the night this happened, and the Raw thread was absolutely savage about this poor kid’s physique.

*reads the rest of this thread*

Never change, DVDVR.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, EVA said:

Just when you thought Ohio State was going to buy their way out of their Michigan problem…

Wow.  New AD has barely been there a day, and things are already getting Bjorked up.  

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I believe that coal mining is one of the few jobs to not get a WWF occupational gimmick

Coal Miner's Glove was a gimmick match in many a wrestling promotion, though.

7 hours ago, EVA said:

Just when you thought Ohio State was going to buy their way out of their Michigan problem…

Look... when you get a chance to hire the only OC in NFL history to lose three straight games while their defense was allowing 10 or fewer points, you gotta take it. 

• Haha 1

In a bit of a surprise, Noah Fifita and Tetairoa McMillan announced at a basketball game they are both staying at Arizona. Huge win for the new coaching staff.

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Michigan needs a new HC

I'll be shocked if it's not Sherrone Moore. Especially seeing how devastated teams losing coaches late have been by transfers. Moore gives them, by far, the best chance to keep everyone in house. I'll also be shocked if it takes more than about 36 hours, tops.

Moore is the obvious pic in a lot of ways. The only potential hiccup there is the Connor Stalions investigation. If there’s real smoke there (and Harbaugh’s insistence on an immunity clause suggests he certainly thought sanctions were possible), Moore is almost certain to be involved in it. Honestly, you could convince me that Harbaugh was insulated from it in the way that politicians get insulated from the dirt their underlings do, but there’s no way Moore and Minter weren’t involved, because they’d have to be the guys changing the plays.

Michigan might want to make a clean break from the Harbaugh era to mitigate any potential sanctions, if they think that threat is real.*

*I’m not so sure!

5 hours ago, EVA said:

Moore is the obvious pic in a lot of ways. The only potential hiccup there is the Connor Stalions investigation. If there’s real smoke there (and Harbaugh’s insistence on an immunity clause suggests he certainly thought sanctions were possible), Moore is almost certain to be involved in it. Honestly, you could convince me that Harbaugh was insulated from it in the way that politicians get insulated from the dirt their underlings do, but there’s no way Moore and Minter weren’t involved, because they’d have to be the guys changing the plays.

Michigan might want to make a clean break from the Harbaugh era to mitigate any potential sanctions, if they think that threat is real.*

*I’m not so sure!

I really don't know if Moore or Minter had any idea how Stalions was stealing signals, which is the real point. Brent Venables at Clemson was notoriously great at signal stealing. Michigan firmly believes Ryan Day had Don Brown's signals, etc.

I think it's entirely plausible that Michigan knew Stalions was really good at stealing signs, but assumed he was doing it the same way other teams did, a combination of watching the TV broadcasts, watching the All-22, and the network of staffers at other schools who are friends and share information after games.

I'm not at all convinced they didn't know, either, just to be clear. But I do think the "everybody successfully steals signs, why would we have thought he was doing it differently?" line is a plausible one.

-----

But anyway, unless Michigan thinks the NCAA has specific info on Moore, I'll be shocked if he doesn't get the job.

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

doesn't the whole transfer portal thing incentivize hiring another team's HC to open up their portal too?

You open up one team to try and recruit from, sure. But you also open up your entire roster to be recruited by 132 other schools, and you are fighting this without the coaches who have relationships with the players. Alabama has basically been ravaged by this and don't have any real chance to restock until the spring window.

The thirty day rule makes sense, but it's brutal for the program that gets left behind.

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

But anyway, unless Michigan thinks the NCAA has specific info on Moore, I'll be shocked if he doesn't get the job.

• Haha 3

Ultimately, the NCAA is in a precious state of affairs, and I don’t think it’s in their immediate interests to bring the hammer down too hard on a big, influential program like Michigan, so I would honestly be surprised if too much comes of the Stalions investigation.

But it is rather ironic that Harbaugh appears to be leaving college football under very similar circumstances as his old pal, Pete Caroll, in 2009: getting out of town just before the posse comes.

18 minutes ago, EVA said:

Ultimately, the NCAA is in a precious state of affairs, and I don’t think it’s in their immediate interests to bring the hammer down too hard on a big, influential program like Michigan, so I would honestly be surprised if too much comes of the Stalions investigation.

But it is rather ironic that Harbaugh appears to be leaving college football under very similar circumstances as his old pal, Pete Caroll, in 2009: getting out of town just before the posse comes.

Has the NCAA ever brought the hammer down on an influential state school like Michigan? In the long run Penn State wasn't really punished for covering up children being raped in their football locker room, did they do anything to UNC for 18 years of academic fraud? USC and Miami got hammered for agent/booster stuff, but both are private schools.

34 minutes ago, EVA said:

Yeah, I was gonna say...  USC, Ohio State, Miami, all on the line for you sir...