DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXXVII : WarGames - 11/25/2023

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

What it looks like with Tony is that WWE guys and guys who couldn't be employed by the WWE a few years ago during the most recent Vince reign of terror went to Tony for a job, and some of them have either found a way out of a job or otherwise made it obvious they're going back with HHH around. So Tony looks like a rube with a checkbook either way, doesn't he?

No.

• Like 4

Women's War Games was fun. There were plenty of neat spots and some brutal moments. Poor Shotzi taking those spinning trash can lids to the face in particular as nasty. Loved Io getting to hit a repeat of the Sasuke tribute in front such a large audience like she did in the first women's War Games in NXT. Charlotte and Becky coming together made for a nice moment, and I dug Bayley saving Kairi twice before losing the match for her team.

Gunther/Miz was pretty good as  I hoped. It didn't steal the show, but it was good seeing the Miz wrestle differently from his norm and showing that extra effort. Dug Gunther busting out a Lion Tamer for the win.

Santos/Dragon was a good showcase for both guys with them dragging the crowd into a decent bit. Still can't help but think they could have gotten even more out of it in forn of a non PLE crowd.

Rhea/Zoey was a nice showcase for both women.

Men's War Games was good, probably MOTN. Thought the pacing was generally good. There was plenty of action. And they told some solid stories with Drew vs. Jey, Cody and Seth putting differences aside, Randy's return, and even a tease of his issues with Jey. I also love how much everyone continues to hate Dom. The man was getting booed a good minute before he even entered the match. Super fun match overall.

Thought this was a good show with the big matches mostly delivering and the smaller stuff still being good fun.

I missed the Punk return, but I can't really say I give much of a shit. Never been a fan and would prefer not see him, but it is what it is. I don't foresee him taking over wherever he ends up so I'm not super worried about him messing anything up.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I missed the Punk return, but I can't really say I give much of a shit. Never been a fan and would prefer not see him, but it is what it is. I don't foresee him taking over wherever he ends up so I'm not super worried about him messing anything up.

Here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H1MBYsVamBQ

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

They sent him home for like 9 months last time around... this time they fired the guy knowing that Survivor Series is in his home town. Tony just gave the WWE another top guy at a time when the perception is that WWE is up and AEW is down. Maybe CM Punk just 1996 Pillman'ed Tony Khan without getting into a Humvee wreck. Maybe things just came together magically.

For the record, We're at exactly 90 days since Wembleymania.

What it looks like with Tony is that WWE guys and guys who couldn't be employed by the WWE a few years ago during the most recent Vince reign of terror went to Tony for a job, and some of them have either found a way out of a job or otherwise made it obvious they're going back with HHH around. So Tony looks like a rube with a checkbook either way, doesn't he?

I guess for the record, the return wasn't discussed until this week. But hey, they lied on other things on this story so it wouldn't surprise me to read if that story wasn't exactly true.

Anyways.. I guess the angle is gonna be Seth Rollins vs CM Punk for the Raw title in a few months.

Of all the viewpoints, this is one. Tony improved his team when big name free agents were available. That's what competent sports GMs do. Black thanked TK later for not releasing him when he asked. I don't buy that tons of AEW guys are unhappy. Maybe Andrade. And that dude is never happy. I give Phil a year before he's storming the Impact Zone because he ran afoul of the wrong people in WWE. You can't reward bad behavior like WWE just did. A pop in Chicago isn't worth taking a big creamy shit in your own locker room. Tony should sign Mustafa Ali and bring Mercedes and Ronda around the women's division. That's a trade that's more than worth it. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Phil.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

surreal seeing Punk back in WWE for the first time in 9 years

not counting WWE Backstage. Which might as well have happened on another planet for all intents and purposes.

Back to Punk...

CM Punk is basically Wrestling Morrissey. There are people who pay attention to the drama. There are people who just show up for the concerts because they like that kind of music and they don't care if he's an asshole.

I mean if you wanted to be a stickler about it all, Punk has been a sellout in the "CBS promotes the Clash, not for revolution, just for cash" sense for years. He was before and after he was employed by a former DVDVRMB poster. Because this is wrestling after all.

Extra show note that I forgot to type: Boy, did that preview panel look cold or what. If Lawler hadn't had the stroke and he was still in his role of "only works preshow panels", would he have nope'd out of working outdoors in Chicago tonight?

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Neither do I, but it’s not the craziest thing to think my man Punk and your man Ricky could finish their business at WrestleMania 41.

That would depress the shit out of me, because then I'd have to pay attention to WWE's product.

• Like 1

getting a major WWE PPV that didn't last as long as a college football game was sort of an interesting throwback to the good ol days of actually having to wrap things up in a certain time.

also, for the record, i'm not watching an entire 3 hour Raw this week.

edit: also gonna note that R-Truth is back, which is great news for the people writing backstage segments on WWE TV

Edited by Cobra Commander

If CM Punk does more Bret Hart tribute matches, I’m in. 

6 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

They’re belting Cody at Mania and have Punk, welcome to my world!

I could see them being cautious with putting Punk in the main title picture. 

• Like 1

There are like three world titles right now. If it means Punk wins one of them then I'm fine with that as long as they get them off Reigns and do something with them.

The potato chip commercial backstage segment was funnier than it had any right to be. I'm glad Tozawa is getting a check even if it is mostly for goofy skits.

Tony Khan never learned that he's the owner of the company and his word is final.   Yeah, Punk is back in WWE and they can take the "risk" because it's not really a risk for them.  Hunter will fire Punk's ass on the spot.  You can tell from the press conference he still doesn't even really like the guy. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Octopus said:

If CM Punk does more Bret Hart tribute matches, I’m in. 

Just remembered The Miz doing a ringpost figure four vs Gunther tonight.

It was a good match, not just a good Miz match, although there was a little bit of a "this pop star is a real musician, as evidenced by this acoustic album" energy with how the commentary talked about The Miz at times. Yeah, he actually watched the product, but good luck getting the people who don't like him to buy into that.

• Like 1