DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON 2023

RIPPA

The Giants interviewed assistant coach Alyssa Nakken for their managerial opening

It is believed she is the first woman formally interviewed for a MLB manager position

25 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Giants interviewed assistant coach Alyssa Nakken for their managerial opening

It is believed she is the first woman formally interviewed for a MLB manager position

The clitoris has over 8,000 nerve endings and it still isn't as sensitive as men faced with the possibility of a woman succeeding in "their" sport.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Ng released her own statement and basically was all "Bruce Sherman won't stop fucking meddling" which was the same exact thing Derek Jeter said when he left

• Like 1

And here is the other shoe - per Jeff Passan, the Marlins are/were planning hiring a president of baseball operations who Ng would have lost all her power too.

So yeah.... never change Marlins

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Trevor May announced his retirement and then had some... thoughts... about Oakland's current ownership

one season, and he wasn't even all that great (who was, this year?), but I'm ready to retire his jersey number just for this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hope you all are sitting down for this shocking news

Michael Fulmer will miss the entire 2024 season after having elbow surgery (what he exactly had was "UCL revision surgery")

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I hope you all are sitting down for this shocking news

Michael Fulmer will miss the entire 2024 season after having elbow surgery (what he exactly had was "UCL revision surgery")

I realize elite athletes are just "different" but when do you decide, "Yeah, that's it for me" when you're hurt all the time?  

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Joe Joe West, your Hall of Fame induction is calling

Bill White and Joe West are no-brainers, not sure about the rest.  On the surface, Jim Leyland SEEMS like a good candidate.  And then you remember that his Pirates teams should've made a World Series and that his Tigers teams underperformed, too.

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Bill White and Joe West are no-brainers, not sure about the rest.  On the surface, Jim Leyland SEEMS like a good candidate.  And then you remember that his Pirates teams should've made a World Series and that his Tigers teams underperformed, too.

Davey and Lou have interesting cases with some similar traits/events

Davey: won the World Series in his 3rd year managing, and then managed good teams but never made it again (Went to the playoffs again with the Mets, went with the Reds and Orioles, went with the Nationals). He managed to draw ownership groups that wanted to bounce him as quickly as possible post-NYM

Lou: won the World Series in his 4th year managing, and then managed good teams and never made it again (Went to the Playoffs with the Mariners and Cubs). Lou made the postseason 6 times post-WS.

Coincidentally they both managed in New York at the same time so i'm sure writers compared the two over and over during that time.

I'm sure that the voters will be reminded to not try combining Lou's non-HOF quality playing career with his managerial career to try getting him over the threshold.

I suspect that the voters know that they have at least 3 managers on the way to the Hall very soon (Francona, Dusty, and Bochy) so inducting guys with weaker cases than those 3 probably isn't on the agenda.

I think Gene Mauch is the unofficial threshold for HOF managers, so if you're a manager with a stronger case than Gene Mauch, you can get in, but if you don't have that, you stay out.

Lou Piniella has 67 fewer managerial wins than Mauch and 324 fewer losses. Jim Leyland has 133 fewer wins and 309 fewer losses.

Davey is way low on the total wins list (Bob Melvin and Joe Maddon have more wins than Davey) but he's top 20 for number of games over .500. Every retired manager with more games over .500 than Davey is in the HOF (Dusty Baker and Dave Roberts are ahead of Davey for wins over .500)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Lou: won the World Series in his 4th year managing, and then managed good teams and never made it again (Went to the Playoffs with the Mariners and Cubs). Lou made the postseason 6 times post-WS.

Lou is also the guy who somehow couldn't win with a team that included prime A-Rod, prime Junior Griffey, prime Edgar Martinez, and prime Randy Johnson.  And managed to get blown out in the playoffs after winning 116 games.

TL;DR - he didn't suck but he's nowhere near a HOF manager, IMHO.

• Like 1

Fun with awards voting, Jim Leyland won Manager of the Year 3 times. None of the 3 seasons were his World Series season (the 1997 Marlins). Yeah, I know the voting takes place before the playoffs.

Leyland might be in the club with Davey and Piniella for guys whose case suffers a little due to their post-WS body of work.

Leyland also managed to sign a contract to manage in 2000 for 3 different teams and didn't manage in 2000 for any of them. He left Pittsburgh after 1996 with a deal that went through 2000, he left Florida after 1998 with a deal that ran to 2001, and he left Colorado after 1999 with a deal that ran to 2001.

• Like 1

Yeah.  This is sort of a weak crop.  Clearly it's designed to put in Joe West who...well, horrible ump but he lasted forever.  I guess they can put something on his plaque about not being QUITE as terrible as Angel Hernandez.  Shrug.

(Funny, Rippa and I were chatting about the list and since neither of us can remember ANYTHING about Ed Montague other than the name, we realized he probably was the HOF-worthy ump.)

And maybe-probably Bill White gets in for a being all over the place as a little of everything.

Both aren't anything strong but I guess it would pad out any other inductions.

Johnson, Leyland and Piniella's cases are pretty identical but nothing truly compelling about them.   Each got a ring but probably should have/could have had more.  When your failures are louder than your successes you probably aren't a HOF manager.

With three pretty much locks coming up in Francona, Bochy and I guess Dusty Baker along with Mike Scioscia on the periphery I don't see the voters getting too excited about any of the three. 

But vets committees are weird.  Harold Baines could get in again.

• Haha 1