DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON 2023

RIPPA

So going into "Black Monday" - the open managerial positions are

• Cleveland
  • San Fran
  • NY Mets

Since all signs are pointing to Aaron Boone coming back that leaves Bob Melvin and Phil Nevin the most likely to be shown the door

I should point out that Buck being fired was all the doing of David Stearns and the reports out of New York are that Stearns is going to bring in Craig Counsell (whose deal in Milwaukee is up).

If you believe the reports - it basically is a question of does Counsell want to keep managing (the prevailing thought there is because both of Counsell's sons are currently playing college baseball he wants to take some time off)

Leaking out that Sean Casey is being retained as the Yankees hitting coach, so, expect nothing from the Yankees this offseason except maybe scapegoating an analytics nerd and we'll revisit when the Yanks go under .500 next year.

It appears that - via an awkward statement - the Padres are keeping both A.J. Preller and Bob Melvin

Because when you can keep two people that don't like each other - you gotta do it

I don't expect the Cubs to make any changes. They'll all pat themselves on the back for making it over .500 on the year, say that they got close to making the postseason, and how all they need to do is make a few more changes to get there next year while ignoring the litany of issues the team has or that they were basically on a miracle run to even try to get a wild card spot and so they go absolutely fucking nothing for Bellinger this year.

So, typical post-WS Cubs bullshit.

I'm going to miss Terry Francona, he is easily my favorite Guardians manager. They were up and down during his tenure,  but I never felt like they underachieved.  Not only that,  the players asked to love playing for him. Hopefully he enjoys a long happy retirement 

• Like 2

For what feels like the first time in forever, the Tigers seem to be moving in the right direction.  Yeah, they won only one more game than 2021 but 12 more than 2022.  They figure to add through subtraction with the retirement of Miguel Cabrera and his .353 SLG and .675 OPS.  Riley Greene looked good before getting hurt.  Kerry Carpenter shows promise with good pop.  Spencer Torkelson hit 31 homers and should continue to get better.  The pitching staff, outside of Joey Wentz and a couple others, wasn't terrible.  

The team is mostly young.  They lose a bad contract in Cabrera but are still stuck with the god-awful Javy Baez (62 OPS+, yay!) and his $27m/yr contract for another four years.  Playoffs are probably not realistic but anything less than 85 wins next year will be a disappointment.

the only way the Angels could have been less subtle about bouncing Nevin is if his keycard stopped working as soon as Game 162 ended

But yeah, it'll be a slow Black Monday when the worst teams in baseball either

• Have a rookie manager (KC, White Sox)
  • Don't care about winning anyways (Oakland)
  • Have committed to giving their manager another go (St. Louis)
  • Signed their manager to an extension before the 2023 season (Colorado)
  • Signed their manager to an extension during a 90 loss season (Washington)

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I’m sure you’ll all be shocked at this.

Must be cool to have the kind of job security to be the absolute worst at your job year after year and never be penalized for it.

Hernandez is awful, no doubt. But I will say this:

1) As CloseCallSports on YouTube has taught me, the TV graphic is not particularly accurate for up & down. And misses margin of error a lot. 

2) On some of those, the catcher "framed" the pitch by yanking it the entire height of the zone - or more. If your catcher is doing that, screw you, you deserve to get a ball called (no, not really, but it sure is annoying). 

I've noticed several Royals games where the K-Zone box looks like it's not aligned with the side of the plate. Even weirder is when it lines up on one side but not the other. Not sure if that's an optical illusion or them not making the box the right size for where they're filming from

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I’m sure you’ll all be shocked at this.

Must be cool to have the kind of job security to be the absolute worst at your job year after year and never be penalized for it.

it's the bad umpiring version of Gretzky scoring 50 goals in 39 games or all of Wilt's NBA scoring records.  Just an eye-poppingly dominant performance where he's so clearly the greatest of all time you can't even discuss it because by virtue of asking the question you've already proven you don't know what you're talking about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sure there's other umps still around who worked in the mid-90s, but it feels like Angel Hernandez is the last of the really shitty umps back when you had a bunch of morbidly obese umps and other assorted maniacs that called insane strikezones

Bucknor first umped a game in 1996. Angel Hernandez was umpiring games in 1991.

Here's a list of worst umpires from March 1999: Charlie Williams, Eric Gregg, Joe West, Bruce Froemming, Harry Wendelstedt, Ken Kaiser, Durwood Merrill, Ted Hendry, Joe Brinkman, Dale Ford

A few of those umps got bounced out after the Mass Resignation and some had to crawl back in later.

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm going to miss Terry Francona, he is easily my favorite Guardians manager. They were up and down during his tenure,  but I never felt like they underachieved.  Not only that,  the players asked to love playing for him. Hopefully he enjoys a long happy retirement 

Tom Hamilton (radio play-by-play) said that Francona's teams were only mathematically eliminated from the playoffs for 25 games in 11 years. Growing up as an Indians fan, we were often out of the playoff picture for months.