DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/23 - 8/29/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Between major Colliders colliding with the Dynamite crew out of nowhere, people not being confined exclusively to Saturdays like Malakai wanted for himself, and stuff like the Jericho-Naito set-up and the Jack Perry FTW stuff ending up on Saturdays, I’m wondering if PPV-related business is just going to be a drag on Collision whenever one of those weekends is coming up. 

Oh well, at least the All-Star tag is gonna be dope.

My takeaways from Collision are that Perry almost landed headfirst on that sledge and died, and that Punk really wanted to get reps in with Swerve and White (not sure about a Swerve match; Punk didn’t look like he really wanted to take any of his signature offense.) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, (BP) said:

My takeaways from Collision are that Perry almost landed headfirst on that sledge and died, and that Punk really wanted to get reps in with Swerve and White (not sure about a Swerve match; Punk didn’t look like he really wanted to take any of his signature offense.) 

To be fair, his signature offense is so thoroughly dumb.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I missed a whole half hour and then paid very little attention but boy they did not like Punk there. And hey, Zicky Dice is a free agent? I have no idea what the comment about him getting in trouble in different feds was about. (Meanwhile, poor Keith Lee is removed from mothballs and unrolled from bubble wrap, wound up and let run for a couple minutes, then placed back in his box to remain in mint condition.)

On 8/25/2023 at 2:04 AM, zendragon said:

I always So there's this movie called Kissing a Fool which is notable for being Produced and Starring David Schwimmer in 98.  Written by one James Frey notable for his fabricated Memoir A million Little Pieces. The Plot involves a man having his best friend trying sleep with his girlfriend. Roger Ebert's review states that "none of the characters behaves at any moment like any human being we have ever met"find myself coming back to that line when people act nonsensically in wrestling like Nick Wayne instantly forgiving AR Fox, this is the stuff that I consider "business exposing" in 2023

Oh man, I remember that movie! It was after I loved Jason Lee so much in his Kevin Smith stuff that I sought out everything he did. On the plus side, I would not have seen 'Mumford' if not for this plan, on the downside 'Kissing A Fool'!

• Like 1

A throwaway Collision but the main introduced a few interesting combinations for the future. Punk/White, Punk/Strickland, and Allin/White all have legs as future feuds. Strickland and White would make a fun tag team that sounds like a law practice too, even though both guys could and should be in the top singles tier

Punk played a little too much into the mixed reactions this time imo

People shorten Luchasaurus to Lucha but I think he should transition to just Saurus. I can't take him all that seriously as a monster when he has a winky name although maybe I don't need to

I've never been a fan of Mr. Get My Shit In but water finds its level and he's perfectly serviceable as a mid-card fall guy. Let Hook merk him on his way to something better

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, zendragon said:

A fun yet throwaway Collision. A bit weird that Chuck and Trent are more concerned about Sue's minivan than Fenix getting beat about the head with a crowbar

They've seen the things Fenix has kicked out of and assume he's pretty much indestructible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Really enjoyed the Willow-Robyn Renegade match, much more competitive than I would have expected and you can see Renegade getting much better than where she was a year or more ago on Dark.

Main event was pretty good too and like Godfrey I was most intrigued by all the future matchups it can set up including something like Punk-Jay White that I had never considered but now is a must have. Luchasaurus may be a lost cause at this point.

Acclaimed rap and video was great. “You couldn’t draw money with a box of green crayons” is a sick burn.

It was hard to enjoy the trios match with Penta being his absolute worst self.

I don’t like Jack Perry but I was very much rooting for him to retire the stupid FTW belt.

Don’t remember much else. Started watching last night but was too drunk to pay much attention. Finally watched this evening but exhausted after 8-9 hours of packing boxes for the move. Hoping I’ll have time to watch the PPV tomorrow, my wife is actually very interested in the MJF-Adam Cole storyline and match. She also likes Orange Cassidy. Of course she also likes DMD.

• Like 1