DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/9 - 8/15/2023

Dolfan in NYC

24 minutes ago, Log said:

They did do a video package for Jay/Shida. Went through their history (Shida was Jay's first AEW opponent).

I mean, I don't think it made the match feel more important, but it was there.

They did one on I think Collision as part of Anna's promo.  Might have been Rampage.

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Preach - those frames were the original 'hardest part of the ring!'

Word. Dude in my backyard fed went for a shooting star press off a ladder, ladder shot out from under him, lands hard enough on the frame to dent it. Springs pinched him pretty good too.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

God forbid your leg went between the springs.

I was bullied as a kid and one of those wonderful methods was the rest of the kids "bouncing you up", as in surrounding you in a circle while you were bouncing; how it was supposed to work was they bounce as you hit and you bounce higher. What really happened was they jarred the canvas as you hit which would ruin your bounce and jack up your spine. It'd get to the point where they're all bouncing around you and you're caught on the canvas while it vibrates uncontrollably like an earthquake. One time the kids did that and it fucked up my back for like six months. I could barely walk for PE and the teacher didn't believe I was hurt for shit. Never told my parents, just gutted it out.

Yeah, not a fan of trampolines. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm game for the rubber match. 

Rematch. A rubber match refers to the third match in a series, but only if they're tied 1-1 going in.

(Because one person is going to 'erase' their loss with the rubber, innit?)

I enjoyed 90's nostalgia night

bad night for refs thought, brice really ate that chair, but some cheating right in front of them.

sigh that's gotta be the 5th or 6th time I've seen that finish with penta.

I just don't care about that dork Roddy

Another 10 minute main event for the women though 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zendragon said:

sigh that's gotta be the 5th or 6th time I've seen that finish with penta.

I'm glad someone else feels that way, I forgot to mention that earlier - so I guess there were two things I didn't like on this one (solid ratio!)

Enough with that, enough with the heel stealing it (we just did a mask theft angle with HOB and Andrade that only got blown off like two weeks ago with that kickass Collision ladder match) and my God I think I'll lose it if someone ties one to the bottom rope again.

I did love the rest of the match though - which probably helped in erasing the mask stuff from memory by this morning

• Like 2

13 hours ago, EVA said:

Man, I cannot get behind RVD looking great out there. He was fine, but dude was cautiously measuring everything he was doing and I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that he hurt himself at some point, because by the end he was audibly groaning on every high spot. He was totally out of control on the guardrail leg drop and just splattered Jack unnecessarily.

I feel he always splattered dudes on the guard rail spot. But yhea was having some trouble with his footing , so maybe he doesn’t need to be a regular in “All Petit Wrestling”. Also same finish in the tag match. Felt the long tights look good on Jack , and he’s been hitting the weight room

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

And stretching/warming up for an hour before your match pays off

Considering all the stretching and warming up I do before and after working out etc, I can also attest to the added functionality that gives you! And RVD has been doing that for decades now! Everyone should give it a shot, on their own level, of course.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Sign RVD for a year and put him on Collision please and thank you.

I know some are gonna be against this idea, but to me RVD has always been one of those guys that comes with almost a built-in fanbase of his own, like a Matt/Jeff Hardy or Punk. YMMV on his performance Wednesday, but business-wise, I think it's worth a shot at using his name get back into 'growth mode.' And even if I'm overstating his current popularity a bit (which is entirely possible) I think there's still mileage in RVD as a midcard vet

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

RVD is a sometime food. He has star power, but a lot of what made him special is exceptional and unique and (my guess is that it) can't be taught to younger wrestlers.

I'll agree with this for the most part - I guess my only hangup is this: while it might be difficult for him to pass along that sort of 'intrinsic' stuff to the young guys (I'll go back to my Magic coaching the Lakers example from a few weeks ago when we were talking about the Bret/agenting rumor) I still think that even if he's not in a position to coach/teach, he's still got enough of that star power in the tank to where a Jack Perry going over him is a fairly big deal. So I think that's more where the value is, in putting guys over on TV, rather than in coaching them

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'll agree with this for the most part - I guess my only hangup is this: while it might be difficult for him to pass along that sort of 'intrinsic' stuff to the young guys (I'll go back to my Magic coaching the Lakers example from a few weeks ago when we were talking about the Bret/agenting rumor) I still think that even if he's not in a position to coach/teach, he's still got enough of that star power in the tank to where a Jack Perry going over him is a fairly big deal. So I think that's more where the value is, in putting guys over on TV, rather than in coaching them

Sure, once a quarter, not once a week.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Sure, once a quarter, not once a week.

Fair enough - I could get behind a Sting-type schedule, or breaking him out for a big PPV or themed-Dynamite once in a while.

Dont take this as me trying to start an argument, cause it's totally a taste/opinion thing and I respect that fully, but let me ask you a follow up question:

Take your average Rampage episode - all things being equal, 7 to 11 minute midcard TV match: would you rather watch Josh Woods roll around to silence, or RVD play the hits?

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Fair enough - I could get behind a Sting-type schedule, or breaking him out for a big PPV or themed-Dynamite once in a while.

Dont take this as me trying to start an argument, cause it's totally a taste/opinion thing and I respect that fully, but let me ask you a follow up question:

Take your average Rampage episode - all things being equal, 7 to 11 minute midcard TV match: would you rather watch Josh Woods roll around to silence, or RVD play the hits?

It's taste, so this isn't necessarily the answer.

I'd rather see Woods vs Chuck Taylor or whatever personally. But then I'd rather see Woods than 2002 RVD too. I was never a fan.

I'm ok with them using him like Sting four times a year though and think there's value there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I'd rather see Woods vs Chuck Taylor or whatever personally. But then I'd rather see Woods than 2002 RVD too. I was never a fan.

I'm ok with them using him like Sting four times a year though and think there's value there.

No argument here, and your having never been a fan of his kind of clarifies your stance a bit more - and honestly, my overrating RVD is probably one of those 'fandom blind spots' because the tag run with Sabu, the TV title run, the Lynn matches etc. are all fond childhood memories for me.

Let's split the difference: RVD vs Chuck Taylor? 🙂

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

No argument here, and your having never been a fan of his kind of clarifies your stance a bit more - and honestly, my overrating RVD is probably one of those 'fandom blind spots' because the tag run with Sabu, the TV title run, the Lynn matches etc. are all fond childhood memories for me.

Let's split the difference: RVD vs Chuck Taylor? 🙂

If that's how you want to use his quarterly appearance, so be it! I'm sure Chuck won't mind.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I just found my answer for when I get paired up with you for Secret Santo 😈

• Haha 1