DVDVR Message Board

THE FLASH - 6/16/2023 - SPOILERS

Final trailer for THE FLASH

Premieres 6/16

---

Creating this because of the final trailer and some huge spoilers for cameos and plot points out there already.     Tag 'em until the 16th please.  

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to THE FLASH - 6/16/2023 - SPOILERS

I don't give a fuck how many Batmen or Super-people are in this, Ezra Miller can go fuck themselves.  I'll wait til it hits MAX, and then it's a maybe.

• Like 1

On a Facebook group I'm a member of which is normally good at withholding spoilers, another member spoiled a cameo. Twat. I'm even more thankful for how people are great with keeping spoilers and posting spoiler warnings here. 

Edited by The Natural

Saw this on a random Google-pushed article and I'm like god damn it. I'm going to have to block any mention of the movie for 2 weeks:

Re:  Keaton's Batman

Spoiler

In this movie, Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne has retired as Batman.  He has done so because Gotham has become the safest city in the country. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 12:34 PM, The Natural said:

On a Facebook group I'm a member of which is normally good at withholding spoilers, another member spoiled a cameo. Twat. I'm even more thankful for how people are great with keeping spoilers and posting spoiler warnings here. 

I let my guard down and scrolled through the Google Newsfeed and got an article about a "evil, disrespectful" cameo.  When I went to block the entire site (the Guardian, obv), I got a *MASSIVE* spoiler that I would have loved to have been surprised by.  

Fuck those idiots. God damn it am I mad. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I let my guard down and scrolled through the Google Newsfeed and got an article about a "evil, disrespectful" cameo.  When I went to block the entire site (the Guardian, obv), I got a *MASSIVE* spoiler that I would have loved to have been surprised by.  

Fuck those idiots. God damn it am I mad. 

Sorry you were spoiled, mate. Infuriating when that happens.

Younger Barry was the most insufferable character in recent memory. The flash’s first solo moving being a version of Flashpoint is such a leap and missing 2-3 movies of character development it’s wild. I knew what this was going to be going in, and I was still surprised at how little central city there was how the only supporting character was Iris for all of five minutes and 0 established flash villains 

• Like 2

Supergirl was the best part of this and she got fridged infinite times to make crappy Barry angry

The CW did a better job honoring DCs live action history

I hope by the end of Aquaman it’s revealed the whole justice league was in Metropolis when Zod attacked but unaware of each other 

• Like 3

On 6/15/2023 at 7:58 PM, Bustronaut said:

It's a spoiler thread, if you don't want this shit show spoiled, don't read the thread 

On 5/25/2023 at 3:01 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Final trailer for THE FLASH

Premieres 6/16

---

Creating this because of the final trailer and some huge spoilers for cameos and plot points out there already.     Tag 'em until the 16th please.  

Watched The Flash (2023) last night. 21 seats sold but only 11 showed.

I went solely for Michael Keaton back as Bruce Wayne/Batman for the first time in 31 years. Cool how I've seen every appearance of his in the part on the big screen thanks to the 30th Anniversary re-releases of Batman (1989), Batman Returns (1992) and now The Flash (2023). Growing up on the first two alongside Batman (1966) and Batman: The Animated Series are the reasons I'm the Batman devotee you see before you now. Best thing about the film by far. Hearing Keaton say "I'm Batman" put a big smile on my face. Ditto Danny Elfman's Batman score. Really wanted Descent Into Mystery. Need more of Michael in the part akin to Old Man Bruce/Batman of the Future (1999-2001) as it's called where I'm from.

Really liked Sasha Calle as Kara Zor-El/Supergirl. Surprised she was barely in it.

Ezra Miller is insufferable as Barry Allen/The Flash. One is bad enough, but two is even worse. One of the worst comic book castings ever.

Enjoyed Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne/Batman. One of his best showings.

SPOILER THOUGHTS:

Spoiler

Uncomfortable with the cameos of people who are no longer with us for reasons people have touched on in this topic.

The CGI/VFX are truly terrible. The babies. The CGI Kal-El/Clark Kent/Superman iteration of the late great Christopher Reeve.

THAT ending looked like a spliced Nespresso advert with George Clooney and Ezra Miller. First time in 26 years for George Clooney playing Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Good seeing Gal Gadot as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman and Jeremy Irons as Alfred Pennyworth for the last time.

The iconic Batmobile of Batman (1989)/Batman Returns (1992) is never driven here. That was really dumb decision.

Didn't like Supergirl getting killed repeatedly. Reminded me of Kenny from South Park. Batman as well.

Edited by The Natural

Overall I enjoyed it. I don't think Ezra Miller is a good Barry Allen, but it was a strong performance nonetheless. I liked Keaton's performance and seeing Keaton as Batman. Those scenes were my favorite. Sasha Calle was Ok as Supergirl, but she didn't have much to actually do.

The third act was a mess. They needed a stronger villain for this storyline. 

Flashpoint itself is a messy story. I don't think it was a good basis for the first Flash movie.

• Like 3

I like Flashpoint (2011) and Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013). Shame we never got live action Thomas Wayne/Batman played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan who played Thomas Wayne in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) but if it's a choice between him or Keaton's return only, I'd choose Keaton every time.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ligerbusa said:

I guess one that's trying to protect it from a falling building and takes it out of the microwave and lays it down on a stretcher. It's weird that is an idea that was written but no, Ezra Miller did not microwave a baby.

Yes, but then someone Reverse Flash'ed the footage of him taking the baby out of the microwave, to make it look like they just microwaved a baby for a laugh.

1 hour ago, Ligerbusa said:

I guess one that's trying to protect it from a falling building and takes it out of the microwave and lays it down on a stretcher. It's weird that is an idea that was written but no, Ezra Miller did not microwave a baby.

Good seeing you, Bat bud. What did you think about The Flash?

• Like 1

I liked it quite a bit. I thought Ezra Miller did a good job playing both characters, Supergirl was cool for the time she was around, and if Keaton didn't take his cowl off you wouldn't know how old he was. I liked the story, some of the comedy was a bit weird. Didn't find the cameos offensive because they were basically like cartoon characters. Not quite as gross as Peter Cushing in Rogue One. A stylistic choice as apparently Nicholas Cage actually filmed his scene. Didn't care for Keaton being the old crazy guy with long hair, a beard and flip flops as it feels like we've seen that a bunch. But I liked all the action with him as Batman.

Apparently they filmed three endings. One with Supergirl and Keaton Batman at the courthouse which leaked in set pictures. Another ending with Keaton's Batman, Supergirl, Wonder Woman and Henry Cavill as Superman. That makes sense as there was a behind the scenes picture of Gadot and Calle together. Then the ending we got with George Clooney. Wild.

• Like 1