DVDVR Message Board

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 - 5/5/2023

I will say this though, the movie is still outstanding and the High Evolutionary is one of the best villains they've ever had. If we put all of the animal testing and abuse aside, he's just a real piece of shit and he's played extremely well. It's a really good performance. When you add in everything else, yeah, Thanos doesn't seem so bad.

• Like 1

I just decided I'm going to wait for when it hits Disney+ and before watching get timestamps of when these moments happen.  Life's too short and while I want to see this there's no way in hell we'll ever see these scenes.  Now if Disney offered a version on there that didn't have that then that'd be even better but that won't happen.

• Like 2

Just out of the theaters. I think the reports of the intensity of animal cruelty are fairly exaggerated - much more is implied than shown. I'm not trying to take away from anybody's experience having seen the film but I truly don't think any of it is cause to skip it. Granted, I experienced a lot of medical trauma from my youngest child's birth and early life, so maybe I'm a little calloused. What does happen has a purpose and leads to a worthy resolution. 

That aside, decent flick. Lots of emotion, excellent villain, and a good sendoff to this team of Guardians. Still can't take Warlock seriously though...

• Like 2

Oh, and one thing that really did get to me was Nebula, Drax, and Mantis realizing Rocket was okay - especially Nebula nearly breaking down. I'm getting misty just thinking about it. 

• Like 5

Finally saw this yesterday with my daughter and we loved it.  High Evolutionary was a total dirtbag and arguably the best Marvel villain since Thanos.  Not even the Sovereign fucked with that guy.  The whole Adam Warlock thing was eh.   You could've left him out and the story would still be decent.

Geeked out again for the members of Vance Astro's Guardian team moonlighting as Ravagers.

It was a nice touch for them to simply to break up the team and explain away why some cast members won't be returning to the franchise.  Much better than killing all or most them.  There were a couple of times where I thought Drax was a goner.  Glad I stayed spoiler free until I saw the movie.

I'm assuming that the little girl on Rocket's new team was MCU Phyla-Vell.

Hugged my mom's Yorkie when I went to visit mom for Mother's Day. Made sure to tell her that she was a good dog.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Not really a hot take, but people complaining about the animal cruelty in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 realize the ones committing the acts of cruelty are the bad guys right? I respect people loving animals and not wanting to see animals get hurt on screen, but the point is to show that the Guardians value the lives of these creatures and The High Evolutionary does not. The movie is the opposite of pro-animal cruelty.
  • Like 4

There is some really uncomfortable stuff in terms of animal cruelty, but not nearly as bad as I feared. It def got the heat on High Evolutionary and made me VERY happy to see his face get ripped off.

Film made me cry multiple times.

My only real nitpick was Adam Warlock, as I felt like they wrote themselves into a corner with him. My theory has always been that he was included in GOTG2 to set up Infinity War, and when he wasn't used in that, they had to find something for him in GOTG3. Other than being used to set up the plot in the beginning, he didn't add anything to the movie, and was mostly treated as a joke.  Otherwise I thought it was a fantastic movie.

• Like 2

Yeah, anyone who thinks that movie condones animal cruelty is an idiot. Not only is all of the evil science being conducted by the bad guys, the Evolutionary never acknowledges Rocket's sentience or respects his right to life.   He never refers to Rocket as Rocket.  He only uses Rocket's serial number.   Rocket and the other creations, even Ayesha and Adam Warlock, are just test subjects to the High Evolutionary.

The Evolutionary is so much of a dick that he is completely baffled by how a "thing" like Rocket could solve a problem his advanced intellect couldn't.

"There is no God.  That's why I stepped in," has to be the best MCU bad guy line in a long time.

Rocket is now officially Rocket Raccoon.   Now if we can get him in his green combat skeinsuit from the comics instead of the ugly blue Guardians coveralls.

The saga of Cosmo is a bad dog is the bestest.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:
Not really a hot take, but people complaining about the animal cruelty in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 realize the ones committing the acts of cruelty are the bad guys right? I respect people loving animals and not wanting to see animals get hurt on screen, but the point is to show that the Guardians value the lives of these creatures and The High Evolutionary does not. The movie is the opposite of pro-animal cruelty.

On 5/13/2023 at 7:59 PM, christopher.annino said:

Just out of the theaters. I think the reports of the intensity of animal cruelty are fairly exaggerated - much more is implied than shown. I'm not trying to take away from anybody's experience having seen the film but I truly don't think any of it is cause to skip it.

2 hours ago, RandomAct said:

There is some really uncomfortable stuff in terms of animal cruelty, but not nearly as bad as I feared. It def got the heat on High Evolutionary and made me VERY happy to see his face get ripped off.

Yeah, all this.  It's implied far more than it's shown, but to the film's credit, you're made to care so much about these CG creatures that you maybe leave sort of thinking you saw more than you did, if you catch my meaning.  But yeah, it's not like this is the Requiem for a Dream of animal cruelty or anything.  It's more like those god damn Sarah McLachlan commercials.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

The Evolutionary is so much of a dick that he is completely baffled by how a "thing" like Rocket could solve a problem his advanced intellect couldn't.

Oh man, the "BUT HOW DID YOU KNOW?!" scene was amazing.

• Like 3

And yeah.  Star-Lord went from "We are not killing anybody." to "We're killing everyone." pretty fast when Rocket's life was on the line.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7

I went with both of my kids this weekend. They both loved it. My son (6) did comment afterwards that it was really sad, and my daughter (12) cried multiple times. Neither, however were referencing the animal cruelty. There are a ton of emotional beats in this movie that will get to you.

Like @J.T. said, I liked how they handled breaking up the team. Going in knowing (or at least hearing the rumors) that this was going to be a few cast members' last time in the franchise had me expecting a death or two. In the end, I'm actually happy they didn't kill off any of the main characters.

The biggest surprise to me came at the very, very end:

Spoiler

I know this is a spoiler thread, but I still figured I'd put this here...

After the second credit scene, there's the "Starlord Will Return" stinger. I thought it was interesting that it wasn't "The Guardian of the Galaxy Will Return". Has there been an announcement of a stand-alone Starlord movie I missed?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Oh man, the "BUT HOW DID YOU KNOW?!" scene was amazing.

The irony of the Evolutionary not knowing how his creation knew was fucking great.  The relationship between The Evolutionary and Rocket obviously runs parallel to Mary Shelly's back and forth between Victor Frankenstein and the Creature, even down to the part where the Evolutionary sets out to destroy Rocket out of fear of what Rocket may become..  Mostly because the creator feels inferior in relation to the creation.

Chukwudi Iwuji hammed it up awesomely in that scene and it still did not feel like he went completely over the top.  His overall performance was tremendous.  Even though he was totally chewing on scenery at numerous points in the movie, it looked natural.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Second to High Evolutionary being a fantastic villain.  I'm guessing based on us not actually seeing his death that we're going to get some timey wimey fuckery by our buddy Kang and we'll see him again at some point.   Hopefully they'll get Chukwudi back (assuming he's not busy being John Stewart).  

I'm really glad though that Gunn decided to make a team movie that wasn't just about the leader.  Like we've had two Star-Lord movies, now we've had a proper Rocket Raccoon movie. 

Very good and definitely felt like Gunn leaving with a friendly note to his remaining friends at Disney saying, "Top that."  

• Like 5

Did you notice that Denerian Saal's GotG line "What a bunch of a-holes..." was taken from the script and pasted into Marvel Studios opening montage for GotG3?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I know the animal cruelty is done by the bad guys. I read a James Gunn interview saying how he was conscious about what was and wasn't shown when it came to Rocket and his friends.

How would you rank the MCU trilogies now Guardians of the Galaxy can be added to the list? I'm only doing the ones I've seen all three of:

4. Thor (2011). Thor: The Dark World (2013). Thor: Ragnarok (2017).

3. Iron Man (2008). Iron Man 2 (2010). Iron Man 3 (2013).

2. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017). Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019). Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021).

1. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011). Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014). Captain America: Civil War (2016).

Captain America is by far the best for me, think it's second only to The Dark Knight Trilogy. Spider-Man like Cap's has no weak entry. Hardest choice was between Iron Man and Thor. Iron Man has the best film while the sequels are two of the worst MCU movies, ditto for Thor: The Dark World. Thor is very underrated.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

And yeah.  Star-Lord went from "We are not killing anybody." to "We're killing everyone." pretty fast when Rocket's life was on the line.

I'm looking forward to seeing this again on D+ now that I've had time that really think about it all, and especially how just badass and cold it was when Quill told Groot to kill them all. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hopefully they'll get Chukwudi back (assuming he's not busy being John Stewart).  

I think his time in DC stuff, excluding voiceovers or anything with a ton of makeup, is over. He had a season long run as a character on Peacemaker.

51 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Someone pointed out how Gunn likes to reuse actors, so could see him being almost anyone in Gunn's Superman movie: Steel, Perry White, Luther. 

Yep.  It took a while for me to figure out that Daniela Melchior aka Ratcatcher II from THE Suicide Squad played Ura, the hot Orgoscope alien tech that Quill cons into giving him access to the computer system.

I love how not once does Nebula dispute Quill's synopsis of the Infinity Saga, especially the part about her "sister", Gamora, being a total dick.

Edited by J.T.