DVDVR Message Board

April 2023 Wrestling Discussion

5 minutes ago, Dog said:

Didn't WCW announce Harlem Heat as being form "across 110th Street"?

AFAIK it was from 110th Street. I doubt they came straight out of the Anthony Quinn and Yaphet Kotto blaxploitation film. Unless Turner bought the rights for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I need to look up where the Gang was from before he was billed as being from Halsted Street in Chicago. Guessing Crusher Broomfield was from somewhere does south. 

lmao Halsted is nice as hell. Well, now it is. I have no idea about back then.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

AFAIK it was from 110th Street. I doubt they came straight out of the Anthony Quinn and Yaphet Kotto blaxploitation film. Unless Turner bought the rights for it.

If they came out to Bobby Womack, it would be the greatest entrance ever!

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, caley said:

If they came out to Bobby Womack, it would be the greatest entrance ever!

Fuck. Now that I think about it...Jackie Brown came out during the height of Harlem Heat/the beginning of Booker's push. The Harlem Heat theme was very recognizable by then, but if they switched it for the Bobby Womack song, that would have been the best.

• Like 4

Best we'd have gotten is Ersatz Bobby Womack composed by Jimmy Hart.

Pam Grier driving away from Robert Forster while I yell GO AFTER HER, YOU FOOL is a great use of that song. Second greatest would be Stevie Ray shit-talking on his way to the ring while that song plays.

• Like 2

This is where I miss wrestling hotlines.

Is CM Punk replacing Tucker Carlson on Fox News? What role did Cody Rhodes' loss at WrestleMania 39 have in the Dominion settlement? For all the news and more, call 1-900-909-9900. Kids, get your parents permission before calling. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This is where I miss wrestling hotlines.

Is CM Punk replacing Tucker Carlson on Fox News? What role did Cody Rhodes' loss at WrestleMania 39 have in the Dominion settlement? For all the news and more, call 1-900-909-9900. Kids, get your parents permission before calling. 

What former world champion was backstage at Raw tonight? 

This week's Between the Sheets episode introduced us to a terrifying future where Bix was able to create an AI Murray Hodgson voice (which was in response to the guest talking about the idea of making a better AI Mean Gene voice)

Soon enough Bix and Kris will use AI to make 7 hour long podcasts instead of talking.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

What former world champion was backstage at Raw tonight? 

On a serious note: My bigger question is how did he get backstage in the first place? Those folks are at the building all damn day before the show. Did they just notice a dude with tattoos who looks remarkably just like Phil Brooks was walking backstage? That's kinda bizarre.

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

What WWE Superstar snuck Phil Brooks backstage? Was he in a laundry basket? Someone's trunk? Call the hot line

Now I gotta go find Prichard doing Jim Cornette from the Royal Rumble 1998 STW episode where he does Jim's full explanation of why Chainsaw Charlie should come out of a box by giving several, specific different examples of wrestlers coming out of boxes.

Everyone comes out of a box at some point, Jim.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Is there any reason Bill Watts never signed Randy Savage in the years before his WWF debut? Given he worked in Memphis wouldn't he have had an in when Bill Dundee was booking?

Given what happened between Savage and Dundee, lol that's probably why.

• Like 2