DVDVR Message Board

2023 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

God, To Live and Die in LA is still nuts. If The French Connection is cocaine, LA is crack. It's the '80s version, blew up in proportion in all ways for the decade. You gotta love that William Petersen got to play a variant on the same character in two equally slick thrillers, this and Manhunter. This version is probably the crazier one -- and the Manhunter one is a chaser of serial killers! What a movie. So, so sleazy...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

God, To Live and Die in LA is still nuts. If The French Connection is cocaine, LA is crack. It's the '80s version, blew up in proportion in all ways for the decade. You gotta love that William Petersen got to play a variant on the same character in two equally slick thrillers, this and Manhunter. This version is probably the crazier one -- and the Manhunter one is a chaser of serial killers! What a movie. So, so sleazy...

I have been known to fire up the magnificent Wang Chung theme from To Live & Die in LA on Spotify if I am on the highway at night and am in need of some mellow driving music.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I have been known to fire up the magnificent Wang Chung theme from To Live & Die in LA on Spotify if I am on the highway at night and am in need of some mellow driving music.

If that's the one that plays during the drive-away scene at the end, I thought I was in the wrong movie in that moment and was actually watching Colors and hearing Herbie Hancock. It was surprising for me to read that that was Wang Chung and that Billy Friedkin was a huge fan but then it's like "well, of course it is, and of course he is."

This is another funny part, he was supposed to make a TV show based on the film for years and I think it was even still supposed to get the go ahead when he died. And guess what show that later ended up getting its own movie (the other way around) that was very similar that ALSO had a director who made another slick '80s thriller in a similar mold? Michael Mann's Miami Vice. 

• Like 1

I watched Ridley Scott's "Kingdom of Heaven" last night after hearing a recommendation on a podcast I love. I really, really liked it and I had never heard of it. It's got a great cast including Liam Neeson, Orlando Bloom, Jeremy Irons, Brendan Gleeson, Ed Norton, Alexander Siddig, and more. I read a little about it after and now I want to see a director's cut. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Michael Mann, Thief is doing the rounds on Showtime. Watch it. 

EDIT: I was just wondering why the hell Jimmy Caan would go to a mob boss (the incredible Robert Prosky, who effortlessly converts from father figure to Count Dracula in the space of one monologue) to purchase a child. I mean seriously, you ever heard of adoption? And it dawned on me that Caan hasn't a clue how to navigate straight life to the extent that he can't even fathom that. Everything has to have an angle, be bent in some way, for it to function. Even his dealership has to be a front. When the cops beat him up because he won't cut them in he asks them why they can't make an honest living, and then says "take down your own scores". THAT is his "honest living". 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

need a recommendation:

my wife is out of town for the weekend, so i'm making it a point to watch good/bad foreign films. already watched Martial Club (1981, Hon Kong kung fu flick) and Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994, Japan (duh)). 

i want to watch at least one more, preferably from a different genre and region, but i'm really not all that picky. are there any African films that i could semi-satirically review that would be worthwhile? South American?

HELP?!?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

City of God is first thing that comes to mind for South American pictures. 

checking wikipedia, that sounds like a pretty damn good movie. like WAY too ggod for a drunken satirical review.

still, it sounds worth checking out.

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

need a recommendation:

my wife is out of town for the weekend, so i'm making it a point to watch good/bad foreign films. already watched Martial Club (1981, Hon Kong kung fu flick) and Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994, Japan (duh)). 

i want to watch at least one more, preferably from a different genre and region, but i'm really not all that picky. are there any African films that i could semi-satirically review that would be worthwhile? South American?

HELP?!?

Let the Right One In (2008) is a different genre and region, Sweden. It's a fantastic film.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

need a recommendation:

HELP?!?

Infernal Affairs (2002) is a crime drama from Hong Kong which was remade into The Departed (2006), an English language remake. The original is much better.

Rec (2007) is a Spanish found footage horror film. Recommend these as really good films.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

City of God WASN'T EVEN NOMINATED FOR BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE OSCAR?! They needed emergency surgery to remove their noggins from their rectums on that one.

Foreign language/foreign country is just too broad a spectrum for me to touch. You'll have to be more specific.

Neither was Let the Right One In. Scandalous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Don’t want to say much about it, but go watch No One Will Save You on (depending on your market) Hulu or Disney+ before it gets memory-holed for tax purposes. Gave it a look because of Guillermo del Toro putting it over on Twitter. Only 90 minutes, worth a look. 

*slaps his money on the table*

(Certainly not for John, nor for Guillermo, but for Kaitlyn Dever)

I ended up not being super impressed by No One Will Save You - interesting premise, great performance, but the ideas felt immature.  Ultimately, it seems small-minded and maybe even a bit navel-gazing to think only one person has a rich enough internal dialogue to warrant the response that happens, and that so many others are so easily glossed over.  That's 100% on the writer/director for not taking it somewhere more compelling.  I also felt like it kind of gave away too much too early, instead of going for a slower build.  It just jumps in tone from thriller to action in no time.