DVDVR Message Board

Bad/Unknown/Unpopular Movies You'll Always Defend

RonL21

I LOVE Airborne. I watched that movie all the freakin' time. Early Jack Black AND Seth Green and I think it's a movie that Jack Black never wants anyone to remember. 

I also love the shit out of Armageddon. I keep telling people, but the best way to watch Armageddon is to track down the Criterion Collection version, or a newer version that has the cast and crew commentary. Watch that shit with the commentary track on. It is the funniest fucking movie ever. THEN, re-watch it without the track. It's the goofiest, most insane movie ever and I love almost every minute of it. "He's got space madness." LOL

• Like 1

I will always love Rocky V, I think it had a good story and the final fight was great. At the very least it did not deserve to be disowned by its creator. 

I'll defend Rocky IV to, I feel like it was a sorta music video musical. I thought the character stuff was done well and it was really slick. 

But I'm not sure how Rocky IV is viewed today, I think a lot more people appreciate it now, but I am not sure. 

When was the last time someone talked about "What about Bob?"  I love that movie, but it never seems to come on cable.  I remember watching it at school on a day before a holiday where I was wishing I was anywhere but school and for about an hour and a half I was actually happy I was there. 

What About Bob? is a better movie after finding out Richard Dreyfuss really isn't acting, disliked Bill Murray for real, and Murray apparently played off of that animosity.

• Like 1

When was the last time someone talked about "What about Bob?"  I love that movie, but it never seems to come on cable.  I remember watching it at school on a day before a holiday where I was wishing I was anywhere but school and for about an hour and a half I was actually happy I was there.

What About Bob? is a better movie after finding out Richard Dreyfuss really isn't acting, disliked Bill Murray for real, and Murray apparently played off of that animosity.

I loathe that movie because i sympathize with Dreyfuss.

It had good intentions and I think it worked well in a lot of ways,. 

I think it would have been better if Stallone had directed it. By 89 I think he was a better director than John Avildsen. 

If you want more terrible opinions from me, I like Staying Alive. Which in some ways was like what Rocky IV became. 

I want to defend Transformers: Dark of the Moon. They did away with a lot of the shitty and sometimes racist comedy. They also got rid of Megan Fox who is great to look at but added very little to the franchise. I could also see what the fuck was going on in a lot of the action sequences so there is another plus. I'll put it like this, the first hour or so of "build" is weak and the plot is not great but once they get into the final battle it is fucking great. Overall the movie is probably 5/10 but that final battle scene is an easy 9/10 and nearly saves it.

Dark of the Moon is easily the best of the series, so of course it's the least popular.  Like you said, it was put together better than any of the others, and really cut out the bullshit.  Guess people wanted more robot balls.  Fuck the Bay Transformers though, seriously.

I want to defend Transformers: Dark of the Moon. They did away with a lot of the shitty and sometimes racist comedy. They also got rid of Megan Fox who is great to look at but added very little to the franchise. I could also see what the fuck was going on in a lot of the action sequences so there is another plus. I'll put it like this, the first hour or so of "build" is weak and the plot is not great but once they get into the final battle it is fucking great. Overall the movie is probably 5/10 but that final battle scene is an easy 9/10 and nearly saves it.

I am so glad it was shot in 3D, despite not watching it in 3D.  It forced Bay to slow down and shot the action scenes in a somewhat coherent style, and it improved the film by a lot.

As did getting rid of the racistbots.  New talentless hot chick was no better or worse than Fox, and, in my not so common opinion, better looking.

• Like 1

Rocky IV is great.

Rocky V does not exist, not sure what you are talking about, there is no Rocky V.

Hey Rocky iV ended the Cold War, despite what the History books say

I always liked how it was a patriotic movie that was anti patriotism, since in the end Rocky and Drago were only fighting for themselves. 

Which reminds me, I thought the scene in Rocky V post fight were well done. Though Rocky probably should have taken that pay check. 

Rocky IV is great.

Rocky V does not exist, not sure what you are talking about, there is no Rocky V.

Hey Rocky iV ended the Cold War, despite what the History books say

I always liked how it was a patriotic movie that was anti patriotism, since in the end Rocky and Drago were only fighting for themselves.

But I guess that's better than 20 million.

Sometime in the near future (probably when the trailer is out) I will create a Transformers thread. I feel really weird about this franchise. It's by far one of my favorite cartoons ever, I had all the toys, etc..  I wanted these to be great and I thought the first one was actually pretty solid. The second film is so fucking terrible though...  I remember trying to find ways to defend it and it's almost impossible. With that said, there's a lot of cool shit in these. I feel like somewhere between the three films is a damn good movie.

If anything needs a reboot it is this franchise.

Yeah, I have so much built up love for Transformers that I own all three of those films on blu-ray, despite not liking the first one, hating the second, and only slightly liking the third.

However, Tim Brayton's reviews of the three films are must read.  http://antagonie.blogspot.com/2007/07/awful-cartoon-about-toys-who-do.html

http://antagonie.blogspot.com/2009/06/robots-in-disgust.html

http://antagonie.blogspot.com/2011/07/vroom-vroom-skrash-kaboom-skree-bang.html

• Like 1

RE: The Transformers movies. It's like, I'm not naive, I know the movie industry is almost all about money these days (if you want art, go to TV.) But those movies are just so shallow, soulless and disposable. And they don't even try to be anything else but shallow, soulless and disposable. It's depressing.

OK, so they get rid of Megan Fox because she's a bitch and compared Bay to Hitler. Understandable. So do you take this opportunity to get in a more competent, but still good-looking actress? No. You literally just pick the hottest chick you can find out of a lingerie magazine. Because she's super-hot and that's all that matters. And she somehow manages to make Fox look like Meryl Streep.  

The third movie might be more competently made, but there's still the same problem with this franchise. There is nothing there.