DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

I don't understand why the Pirates ran their club hall of fame during a series with the Blue Jays of all teams. Like, they've been in baseball since damn near the invention of the sport and there may not be a single current major league team they have less history with than the Blue Jays.

• Like 1

Minnesota Twins catcher Gary Sanchez was feeling fortunate Sunday after he nearly walked into a major injury.

Sanchez was almost struck in the head by a full swing by teammate Gilberto Celestino during Minnesota's 5-1 victory against the Chicago White Sox.

The incident occurred when Chicago brought in Kendall Graveman to face Sanchez with two outs in the eighth inning. Sanchez was heading back to the dugout to learn more about the reliever when he was almost hit by Celestino in the on-deck circle.

Celestino missed Sanchez's face by mere inches.

The incident occurred when Chicago brought in Kendall Graveman to face Sanchez with two outs in the eighth inning. Sanchez was heading back to the dugout to learn more about the reliever when he was almost hit by Celestino in the on-deck circle.

Celestino missed Sanchez's face by mere inches.

"I had a few minutes to go and ask a couple questions about that pitcher," Sanchez said through an interpreter. "I saw his bat was on his shoulder just standing there in the on-deck circle and so I went back to the dugout and I didn't notice he was swinging."

Sanchez lowered his head after the bat passed, and Celestino leaned back with an incredulous look on his face.

"He almost hit me, but thank God, nothing happened," Sanchez said. "It's just an accident. It's fine."

Aaron Judge now has 54 HRs. That ties him with A-Rod for most HR by a Yankee since 1961

He is one pace for 65

Side note - for those curious, the Yankees are presenting it as his chase for the franchise record. (Since he can pass Maris and they don’t have to do a messy “real HR record”)

21 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Presumably, to some fans, being the Yankee record holder is more important than being the MLB record holder. 

By some fans, you mean Billy Crystal

• Haha 2

If they're presenting it as the Yankee record, that's pretty new, as they've been talking about it being the American League record since he hit a pace to break 61.  It just so happens that the Franchise and AL record are the same.  

I don't think anyone's really going to get near 73.

I guess it depends on the broadcast because I’ve definitely seen them throw up graphics that say franchise record.

Don’t ask me which broadcast because, similar to Jon Sterling, I’m lucky I’m remembering I watched the game

Just wanted to mention that for the last month Joe Maddon has been on a campaign to shit on the Angels and analytics

Most recent is this

It's full of "you can't tell me what to do if you have never played in the bigs" energy which is amusing coming from a guy who never played in the majors

Red Sox and Enrique Hernandez have agreed to a 1 year, $10 million extension

Boston needs warm bodies for next year and Kiki is thrilled that someone wants to pay him despite how shitty he has been this year

I like how that's the highlight that Dolfan chose to feature and not this one

Longest HR in Coors Field history and longest in the majors since 2019 (third longest since StatCast started tracking in 2015)

Well, I posted the one I did because lolmets more than anything else.  

ALSO... speaking of lolmets.   They have now officially blown the 10 1/2 game lead they had on the NL East in June. 

31 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

ALSO... speaking of lolmets.   They have now officially blown the 10 1/2 game lead they had on the NL East in June. 

Which related to NY and blowing leads, The Athletic is DESPERATE for the Yanks to somehow not make the playoffs (their playoff probability is 99.9%)

I think they had 3 different stories about it this weekend

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, I posted the one I did because lolmets more than anything else.  

This is somewhat disingenuous: The "blown" lead had more to do with the defending champs catching fire and simply refusing to lose than anything else.

2 minutes ago, madl said:

Not sure if This goes here or in the stupid crap thread.  Doug Gottlieb retracted the claims he made about Freddie Freeman’s agent.  

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34542980/radio-host-doug-gottlieb-admits-made-false-claim-freddie-freeman-contract-talks-atlanta-braves

Funnily I put it in the Sports Media thread after having that same internal debate

6 minutes ago, madl said:

Not sure if This goes here or in the stupid crap thread.  Doug Gottlieb retracted the claims he made about Freddie Freeman’s agent.  

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34542980/radio-host-doug-gottlieb-admits-made-false-claim-freddie-freeman-contract-talks-atlanta-braves

I think we all knew there was no way that story was true from the get-go. Gottlieb, though, is such trash he just couldn't resist the hot take he HAD to know wasn't true.