DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2013: WEEK 12

Dolfan in NYC

Denver @ New England

And if my math isn't off, Seattle can clinch a playoff spot with a win this week and a SF loss.  

And the Dolphins try to save their season yet again against... ugh... 6 game winning streak Carolina.  I'll fetch the gifs. 

Well Seattle is on bye - so not quite

EARLY SCENARIOS TO WATCH

By Joe Ferreira, NFL playoffs expert
Denver Broncos
DENVER can clinch a playoff berth this week with a win + San Diego loss or tie + Pittsburgh-Cleveland tie + Oakland-Tennessee tie + Either Baltimore-NY Jets tie OR Baltimore loss and Miami loss or tie.

Kansas City Chiefs
KANSAS CITY can clinch a playoff berth this week with a win + Pittsburgh-Cleveland tie + Oakland-Tennessee tie + Baltimore loss or tie. Kansas City doesn't need the Miami loss or tie as they would have conference record tiebreaker advantage over the N.Y. Jets in this scenario.

Indianapolis Colts
INDIANAPOLIS can clinch the AFC South division title with wins over the next two weeks at Arizona and vs. Tennessee. The wins would get Indy to 9-7 at worst and would limit Tennessee to 9-7 at best with a Colts sweep of the Titans.

Seattle Seahawks
SEATTLE is on bye this week before hosting New Orleans on Week 13 and traveling to San Francisco on Week 14. By winning both of those games, Seattle would clinch the NFC West division title and, with a loss/tie by Detroit, a first-round playoff bye. The Seahawks can also clinch homefield advantage throughout the playoffs by Week 14 if they win Weeks 13 and 14 plus any Detroit loss/tie and if New Orleans loses to Atlanta (Week 12) and Carolina (Week 14) [one of the Saints losses could be a tie] and Carolina loses to either Miami (Week 12) or Tampa Bay (Week 13).

BTW - this is the Giants season.

They can afford to lose one game max the rest of the way - it certainly can't be against Dallas.

Besides dropping two back in the NFC East - they would lose the tiebreaker to Dallas thus for all intents and purposes making it a 3 game lead.

Okay - everyone excuse my moment of insanity but the Aaron Rodgers injury caused this

Giants have won two straight - sit at 2-6

vs. Oakland

vs. Rodgers less GB

vs. Dallas

at Washington

at San Diego

I am suddenly seeing them at 7-6

AND then Seattle flies TO NY

Katie Bar the Fucking Door

You posted this in the Week 10 thread, RIPPA.  2 W's down, 3 to go.  Very much attainable.

So yeah, Broncos/Patriots this week...

Oh and this was on reddit.  What was the last time Team X made it to the playoffs with their current record

pNHBswD.png

Good to know the Bills are eliminated yet; It would take a miracle worthy of creating a new religion for it to happen(and no I'm not predicting it, I'm not crazy). . . .

I like these kind of seasons in which half of the damn league still have a chance at the playoffs. Granted, most of have mediocre (if you wanna be nice).. But it still makes it fun/stressful to watch as your team fucks up as much as possible and still think they can make the playoffs.

Fucking Dolphins. This is what you get for changing the logo. <_<

Bringing back the Patriots getting "screwed" twice this season from last week's thread for a minute. They didn't get screwed against the Jets, the refs made the call they were supposed to make, as per the rule book. Let's also not forget they got away with a holding call on the game winning touchdown vs New Orleans. I think last night's call was wrong, so that puts them at 1-1 in the "bad call that determines the outcome" department.

Hoping that "Less Shitty Than Normal" Geno Smith shows up to play QB for the Jets this week, so they have a chance at winning. They did just set the record for the longest run from the start of a season alternating wins and losses, so at least it's a history making season. :D

Bringing back the Patriots getting "screwed" twice this season from last week's thread for a minute. They didn't get screwed against the Jets, the refs made the call they were supposed to make, as per the rule book. Let's also not forget they got away with a holding call on the game winning touchdown vs New Orleans. I think last night's call was wrong, so that puts them at 1-1 in the "bad call that determines the outcome" department.

Hoping that "Less Shitty Than Normal" Geno Smith shows up to play QB for the Jets this week, so they have a chance at winning. They did just set the record for the longest run from the start of a season alternating wins and losses, so at least it's a history making season. :D

It was defensive holding, not interference, as it started way before the pass. It would give them one more chance from the 15(?) yard line? Not a gimmee

As long as Geno is their starter, they will be screwed in late-season games unless they're down south or in a dome.

I couldn't be any prouder of the Carolina Panthers.  It occurred to me though that while we are improving, the gulf between the Panthers and Patriots is still huge.  For Carolina, this Monday was the biggest game for them in five years.  For the Patriots, this isn't even their biggest game THIS WEEK.

It was defensive holding, not interference, as it started way before the pass. It would give them one more chance from the 15(?) yard line? Not a gimmee

Gronkowski was the intended receiver on that play, I would assume that makes the penalty pass interference, and not just holding.

Gronkowski was the intended receiver on that play, I would assume that makes the penalty pass interference, and not just holding.

If it's a penalty (I thought it was), it's D holding - or at the absolute lightest Illegal Pass Play Contact - because a) the hold started before the ball was thrown and B) the ball was intercepted 3-5 yards in front of where Gronk was when the ball arrived, making it uncatchable. Of course, the reason it was uncatchable was because of the hug he was receiving at the time, but aside from the holding penalty, I don't think the rules can compensate for that. 

The ball was at the 16, I believe, so since it was holding not PI, it would be 1st down and Goal from the 8 (half the distance) for 1 untimed play since the clock had expired. 

I couldn't be any prouder of the Carolina Panthers.  It occurred to me though that while we are improving, the gulf between the Panthers and Patriots is still huge.  For Carolina, this Monday was the biggest game for them in five years.  For the Patriots, this isn't even their biggest game THIS WEEK.

All I can remember about the last two minutes of that game was about 20 horrible flashbacks to Super Bowl 38.  When Gruden actually mentioned the game when there was less than a minute left, I completely lost my shit.

I honestly had forgotten what it's like to root for an important game. (Given my combined Panthers and pre-Panthers LA Ram fandom, big games have not happened frequently in my life).

Bringing back the Patriots getting "screwed" twice this season from last week's thread for a minute. They didn't get screwed against the Jets, the refs made the call they were supposed to make, as per the rule book. Let's also not forget they got away with a holding call on the game winning touchdown vs New Orleans. I think last night's call was wrong, so that puts them at 1-1 in the "bad call that determines the outcome" department.

If it's a penalty (I thought it was), it's D holding - or at the absolute lightest Illegal Pass Play Contact - because a) the hold started before the ball was thrown and B) the ball was intercepted 3-5 yards in front of where Gronk was when the ball arrived, making it uncatchable. Of course, the reason it was uncatchable was because of the hug he was receiving at the time, but aside from the holding penalty, I don't think the rules can compensate for that.

The ball was at the 16, I believe, so since it was holding not PI, it would be 1st down and Goal from the 8 (half the distance) for 1 untimed play since the clock had expired.

PI = spot of foul = in end zone = 1 yard line.

PI = spot of foul = in end zone = 1 yard line.

If the call had been PI, then, yes, 1 yard line.  Had it been defensive holding, it would have been the 13 yard line.  If the refs were utterly incompetent, it would have been no call, game over.