DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 8

Dolfan in NYC

lol Shoeless Sean Payton calls three passes in the red zone to make sure Brady gets the ball back

edit:  I stand corrected the Saints were allowed to play defense

Edited by BobbyWhioux

20 hours ago, Mister TV said:

The Steelers get the W with the always fun 15-10 final score, the Brownies and Bungles are showing their true colors today. 

Baker is the ceiling for the Browns, and that ceiling is pretty low right now. He's injured,  but that's only half the issue. His biggest flaw is his complete unwillingness to throw downfield, and it makes them too easy to defend.  The defense doesn't have to respect the deep ball,  which is going to make the offense struggle against any decent defense. I really hate the fact that the team is setup to be really good over the next few years, but they're going to have to pay the one player who can ruin that potential an exorbitant amount of money to fuck it all up. 

• Like 1

Watching the Steelers struggle without a kicker brought back some fun memories.  Back in the 90's, I played in a charity golf tournament and got put in a foursome with the then-current Steelers kicker.  Tournament was held on an unusually hot spring day and said kicker drank wayyyy too much, so he was more than willing to air his issues with the team out in public.  We also found out more about his hot wife than we needed to know.

Basically, dude had a "little man" complex and felt he wasn't taken seriously by coaches and teammates.  He was surprisingly short, fwiw.  For the most part, it didn't sound like people meant it maliciously, but, yeah, even his friends on the team had a habit of making "you're not a real football player.  You're just the kicker"-type remarks.  He also though that, regardless what was said publicly, coaches and the gm basically thought he was invisible except when he missed a kick.

I distinctly remember him telling a story, then turning to us - drink in hand - and practically shouting "M*ther F**ker, wait till I get hurt and then you'll find out how f***ing important I am".  Did I mention he was a foul-mouthed drunk?  Well, he was.  it was oddly endearing, sorta like watching your five-year-old swear.

Anyway. from what I can remember, most of the stories he told use were "dog bites man" type stuff.  Just offhand remarks that came out wrong or minor slights that the dude blew up more than he needed to.  And, of course, he was quite drunk for most of the afternoon.  I guess maybe we should have tried to keep drinks out of his hand or shushed him, but, well, the rest of us were young twenty-somethings who needed to blow off some steam too and thought drunken ramblings were mostly funny, so we probably egged him on more than we should have.

Edited by Eoae
typos
  • Like 3