DVDVR Message Board

Let's Talk Next-Gen

Tabe

I'm not sure I follow you. Are you talking about needing a disc? You need the disc if you originally bought a disc. You can't buy a disc and install the game and not have to use the disc in the future, you still need it. But if you just buy the same game digitally from the psn store and download it then there is never a disc involved.

I just read a review of the Xbox one on the verge and holy hell did they screw up the kinect voice thing. Apparently you have to memorize a ton of commands or it won't recognize what you say.

I thought you couldn't play games on the console though unless the game was in the system... despite having to download it to your hd

You can purchase any games digitally through PSN on the day they're released, so you do not have to have the disc.

For me, that only seems logical if you think you'll never trade the game.

My only concern is being given the ability to deactivate a console as your primary if the console ever foobars. 

Yeah that matters.  If you're talking about a disc game, you always need the disc to play the game.  But you can buy the same game that comes on the disc digitally in the PSN store and download it, no disc.  You can play anything you've bought digitally on the PSN store on any console that you log on to.  You also have one console that is your primary console and anyone can play anything you've bought digitally on that console. 

Yep. As nice as the FIFA demo was, it didn't make me want to buy a PS4 and everything else about next gen just troubles me.

Well I can tell you the system is hands down much better than PS3 and that was a great console.  The controller is worlds better for one.  The interface is a million times better.  Another change is them finally implementing cross game chat.  So you start a chat party and do whatever you're doing on the system and you stay connected.  I'm not sure if it works on other shooters but at least on Killzone when I'm already in a chat party with friends and I go to join an online game it will automatically bring the people in the chat party with you and it hasn't failed once.  Very seamless and easy.  Everything loads up much faster as well. 

The only negatives I have for the console is that I have a wireless pulse headset and they haven't patched the support for that yet and the fact that you can't use an external hard drive.  Games at launch are obviously a little thin but this launch is a lot better than the previous gen in that regard.  It would have been nice if Watchdogs didn't get delayed for sure. 

I would probably give the XBOX One a slight edge in games right now... Ryse, Forza and Dead Rising 3 are all games that I would want to play though Ryse might end up being a pretty game with lackluster replay value.

Thing is..  Sony is going to end up having the library that I prefer for the longterm. I already realize this. Like I said before, when I have more free time I'll end up going back to PS4 but it's definitely possible I could buy the XBOX One down the road. I ended up owning every PlayStation and every XBOX thus far

Can the PS4 play playlists off your iPod if you plug it in a USB slot? The PS3 couldn't and the 360 could. That's a big reason I usually played more 360 games for multiplayer, I could listen to my own music with the game's sound effects over it. I've heard the One does not, but they may patch that in later.

No I don't think it does. 

Thing is..  Sony is going to end up having the library that I prefer for the longterm. I already realize this. Like I said before, when I have more free time I'll end up going back to PS4 but it's definitely possible I could buy the XBOX One down the road. I ended up owning every PlayStation and every XBOX thus far

Same here.  I will most likely get a One at some point when they have a price drop and/or sell it without the kinect bundle but that will probably be a good ways down the road and if they have some exclusives that I really want to play.  Right now the only thing on the horizon that I'm interested in is Titanfall and that will be coming out around the same timeframe as Destiny anyway. 

More than likely, I won't be getting a Xbox One. Microsoft's handling of the previous generation has left a sour taste in my mouth and I don't honestly foresee the upcoming gen being any different. The exclusive games (Quantum Break, Titanfall, etc.) for Xbox One just don't appeal to me as well.

*shrugs* Microsoft's handling of the previous generation is the biggest reason I want a One.

I'm excited that all the new consoles being sold for both Sony and Microsoft come with headsets. Hopefully, it'll be the like the early days of 360, when everybody talked.

Lots of early reports of people's XBones having defect disc drives that result in awful grinding/rattling noises when a disc is inserted. Not good...

I don't think it's THAT widespread. This issue and the PS4 brick issues are pretty small and will be forgotten soon... I hope.

Lots of early reports of people's XBones having defect disc drives that result in awful grinding/rattling noises when a disc is inserted. Not good...

I don't think it's THAT widespread. This issue and the PS4 brick issues are pretty small and will be forgotten soon... I hope.

Don't be THAT guy.

No, seriously. Is there any hard data to support that the failure rate of the X-Box One is anywhere near as high as the 3 Red Lights problem? Or even the current PS4 problem? If there is, I'll shut my mouth, but I haven't seen it yet. Just seems like the standard console launch where there's a small group of bad consoles. Has happened with every console since the PS2 (except the 360, who had a crazy fucking failure rate).

Goes back further - PS1 had issues. Remember people turning their systems over to keep them from overheating? Dreamcast had major issues with Midway games not working at all. Probably gotta go back to Saturn or earlier to get a glitch-free launch. Maybe that's just because they were pre-internet.

• Like 1

That's not because the NES is built shoddy. It's because of dust and other crap getting on the cartridge's contacts. NES systems are like tanks. I just found one that was sitting in a garage (in Minnesota so it dealt with freezing and hot/humid) and it worked perfectly. My PS3 barely lasted 5 years and I treated that like a baby.