DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

22 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I enjoyed Batman and Harley Quinn just as a fun one-off animated adventure done in the style of BTAS/TNBA.  Bruce Timm did grow up loving the Adam West show.  Even TNBA and BTAS had some of those weird campy tonal elements thrown in at times.  I did enjoy Batman's reaction to the farting in the Batmobile.  

Though I didn't really love Rauch as Harley Quinn.  I think Tara Strong does a much better job.  As for the sex:

Reveal hidden contents

I think they were just playing around and didn't actually do the deed, or maybe they did.  I think you can interpret it either way.

Was Batman and Harley Quinn meant to be/marketed as a BTAS callback?  Didn't know that.  Might have passed if I had.  B:TAS and the 60's tv show aren't my thing.  On that level, the movie is ok, I guess.  There are a lot of campy/silly elements that fine in with the tone of those shows.  The goofy opening credits sequence, the music score, the long scene in the supervillian bar ("Ouch!  My balls!" did get a chuckle out of me), the fart joke, etc.  If that's what they were going for, fair enough.  I just wish they had kept that tone and not snuck in current elements.  Maybe it's the way Rauch reads her lines, but her interpretation of Harley came off as nasty and snarky to me.  And then there's the casual swearing and the implied sex scene, etc. Pick a lane and stick with it.

18 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Was Batman and Harley Quinn meant to be/marketed as a BTAS callback?  Didn't know that.  Might have passed if I had.  B:TAS and the 60's tv show aren't my thing.  On that level, the movie is ok, I guess.  There are a lot of campy/silly elements that fine in with the tone of those shows.  The goofy opening credits sequence, the music score, the long scene in the supervillian bar ("Ouch!  My balls!" did get a chuckle out of me), the fart joke, etc.  If that's what they were going for, fair enough.  I just wish they had kept that tone and not snuck in current elements.  Maybe it's the way Rauch reads her lines, but her interpretation of Harley came off as nasty and snarky to me.  And then there's the casual swearing and the implied sex scene, etc. Pick a lane and stick with it.

Can you going in to more detail on why TAS isn't your thing? I wouldn't call it overly goofy.

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

It reminded me of the Farmer Brown episode of TNBA, where they did a little meta "Holy Cow" joke like something out of Batman & Robin.  Joe Landsdale wrote that episode.

17 hours ago, Matt D said:

Can you going in to more detail on why TAS isn't your thing? I wouldn't call it overly goofy.

No, it's not, and i really don't have an argument for why I don't enjoy it.  I don't think it's terrible, or something I dislike passionately.  It seems fairly well done for what it is, and some of the design elements are fairly brilliant.  It just never grabbed me.  i saw a lot of the episodes when they aired (probably more than once) and got a good deal on the box sets  a year or two ago, so i bought the complete run and marathoned it.  There are a few episodes I really like, but, on the whole, I don't enjoy it overmuch.  It's kinda average entertainment for me, even though i feel like, objectively speaking, it's probably quite good.

Watched two more DC animated movies last night - Son of the Bat and Batman: Bad Blood.  Probably going to check out more of the DC animated films.  I saw a couple when they first started releasing them years ago, and i've watched a couple lately.  Son of Batman was kinda average, i though.  Villains were kinda generic - mostly nameless League of Assassins cannon fodder - and I thought introducing Deathstroke as a  League underling and retconning his origin so that Damian took his missing eye was a fairly poor use of the character.

Did enjoy Bad Blood quite a bit.  Paced better and better fight sequences.  I liked Dick's run as Batman and am generally more interested in Dick/Damian that Bruce/anyone.  Thought they handled Batwoman well.  Didn't like Batwing being Lucius Fox's son, but that's apparently canon and I didn't know it.  Didn't realize until I googled the character that they relaunched the Batwing series with a new character in the role.  Guess setting the series in Africa didn't do a lot for sales.  I read the Batwing series while Winnick was on the book, but quit paying attention the moment he left.  Anyway, dug this Batman film more than the other couple I've watched lately.

Finally watched Batman and Harley Quinn. Thought it was pretty fun though it was weird seeing it use elements from Adam West Batman. Didn't hate Rauch as Harley, but Tara Strong would have been so much better. Harley also felt just a pinch off with regular swearing. Still well worth catching.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

REALLY late around to watching Batman & Harley Quinn because life has been bananas, and uh...wow. That sure was a thing.

It wasn't BAD by any means but like...the fluctuations between being mostly serious to Batman being farted out of the Batmobile to the WAY TOO LONG musical numbers bit to the completely bizarre ending...it was an experience. I don't know how GOOD it was but I wasn't ever bored.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Oh my god.

Scooby Doo & Batman: The Brave and the Bold movie coming direct to DVD in January.

Yessssssss.

every time i say I'm done buying batman dvds, they find a way to get me all excited. day one purchase for me.

All the LSH talk in the comics forum got me to finally break down and buy Season 2 of the cartoon off Amazon.  I saw every ep of the first season as it aired and have owned it for a while, but have never seen anything from S2 but the Karate Kid episode so I'm looking forward to digging in.  Pretty much all I remember is being shocked that Imperiex had a personality since he was literally an empty shell in the comics.  ETA: I remember pointing out when this was finally purchasable on Amazon, and it feels crazy that it took me a year plus to get to it myself.

Meant to post this at the time it happened but forgot:

Batman the Animated Series logo.jpg

Happy 25th Anniversary to Batman: The Animated Series. Wonderful show. If you asked me "what's my favourite Batman ever?", I'd go for B: TAS and I'm counting Batman: Mask of the Phantasm with B: TAS ; )

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...