DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

This is the Spider-Man film by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller of The Lego Batman Movie so it had my interest, some was lost when it was announced Miles Morales was under the mask. I like Miles but I prefer a number of Spiders to him: Peter Parker, Otto Octavius, Gwen Stacy, Ben Reilly, Kaine Parker and Miguel O'Hara. Now that the film is billed as Into the Spider-Verse, hopefully we see them.

On 11/17/2017 at 10:35 AM, The Natural said:

Meant to post this at the time it happened but forgot:

Batman the Animated Series logo.jpg

Happy 25th Anniversary to Batman: The Animated Series. Wonderful show. If you asked me "what's my favourite Batman ever?", I'd go for B: TAS and I'm counting Batman: Mask of the Phantasm with B: TAS ; )

DLS4oaUWsAAbOEL.jpg:large

First time the complete Batman: The Animated Series DVD box set is available in the UK. Only the first two volumes you could get in the UK which I had when they came out in '05. I was tempted to buy this Batman: The Animated Series complete box set before Christmas but it's for Christmas from my parents. That's me sorted! Love the show.

7 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

The League movie has me revisiting all the Fourth World eps of STAS and JL/U.  Darkseid's interactions with basically everyone still give me chills.

Hard to beat the flash/Mr miracle episode.

Although Darkseid killing Dan Turpin (aka Kirby) is amazing. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For Batman Brave and the Bold fans, the new animated Scooby-Doo team-up movie is a fun little companion piece for the show.  It's basically a heavily padded extended episode of the series, but it's got all the light hearted humor from the show, done in the show's style, plus the return of the theme song (remixed version tho), Aquaman (John DiMaggio), and Plastic Man (Tom Kenny).  The humor never gets too meta, and the third act is a little convoluted, but hey more Brave and the Bold for people who liked that show. Also, Jeffrey Combs returns as the Question.

• Like 2

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight

Freakin dope AF. I really can't get enough of the Elseworld stuff that DC puts out, it really helps break the monotony of the regular superheroics in general.

I would really love for them to try them out in live action, optimally via mini-series format. DCU has a such a glut of classics and greats from their library, it would be easily to cherry pick from.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my god. The new TMNT deal.

I love April. Making her black is a great call and the design is great.

I love that the Turtles are ACTUAL TURTLE TYPES and different ones (Leo is a Red Eared Slider, Don is a Soft Shell, Mikey is a Box, and Raph is a Snapper).

I love a lot of the creative decisions.

The Turtles' ACTUAL DESIGNS are UNSPEAKABLY HORRIBLE. It looks like something the Sonic Boom designers would come up with. Raph actually reminds me of their Knuckles.

I want so badly to like this but I don't know if I can get over those designs.

• Like 1

The designers make the same mistake as the Michael Bay movies.  Just because Splinter is a rat, he has to be some ugly diseased looking vermin.  IMO that's not how Splinter should look.  In the movies, splinter was a family pet, not an average sewer rat.  In the 2012 series, he used to be Hamato Yoshi, and he doesn't look freaking ugly and scary.

Plus, I mean, the only reason he had sai in the first place was because Elektra did. And they can probably move on from being a really strange tribute/homage/parody of Miller's Daredevil by now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Caught Gotham by gaslight last night. Never read the comic, but I dug the film. Its not top of line animated DC or Batman, but it is still good.

Also forgot to mention that I finished up the latest season of RWBY two weeks ago. I think it was easily the best season they have had so far with the build, explanations, and payoffs. Its the first time the show actually has me truly looking forward to whatever comes next.

• Like 1

I did not realize before watching it that Gotham by Gaslight was rated R. Really caught off guard by the blood and language early on. Not a complaint, just surprised.

It's quite good though.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Constantine: City of Demons

Know what? WTF don't they just make a Berlanti-verse animated anthology series. Do stuff that they can't do on TV with it... like the hard rated R material found in City of Demons. It was quite good... not the gore and stuff, but that you can tell they were able to stretch their legs sorta speak.

And the fact that...

Spoiler

They introduced me to the wonderful Nightmare Nurse. Seriously, she needs her own horror series.