DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

In terms of writing, storytelling, and dialogue, Exo-squad still holds up remarkably well. I just wish we could get some sort of Exo-squad reboot already.  Seems long overdue for someone to try one. 

I'd settle for being able to buy it. I did a rewatch when it was about to fall off Hulu and am annoyed it doesn't have a full DVD or Amazon VOD option.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered if Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker was the uncut version on Amazon Prime and it was! The flashback sequence to Batman, Robin, Batgirl, the Joker and Harley Quinn still sends a shiver down my spine. Its f’n brutal especially what’s done to Robin.

Finally starting to catch up on Voltron after loving the first 2 seasons, then having a hard time getting excited to start what came after.  (I totally blame finding the $70 diecast combining Voltron on clearance).  This show is so weird and interesting, and makes me think I need to finally watch the Avatar shows. I absolutely love their take on Lotor so far (4 eps into S3).  And I'm really happy that Netflix has committed to an end date barely halfway through, so that we don't have to worry about truncation or getting dragged out.

There is an end date on Voltron? Didn't realize. When is it? I actually finished up the latest season a couple of weeks ago. The show annoys me at times, but I do enjoy it well enough. I think its gotten better with Lotor. Still not sure where it goes, but I think I enjoyed S4 the most so far And yes, you should absolutely catch Avatar.

21 hours ago, Eivion said:

There is an end date on Voltron? Didn't realize. When is it? I actually finished up the latest season a couple of weeks ago. The show annoys me at times, but I do enjoy it well enough. I think its gotten better with Lotor. Still not sure where it goes, but I think I enjoyed S4 the most so far And yes, you should absolutely catch Avatar.

Netflix has said 78 episodes, and I think we're at 45 now.  IIRC the current plan is to keep doing two to three half-seasons a year rather than waiting til they have 13 to drop anything.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 7:53 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Netflix has said 78 episodes, and I think we're at 45 now.  IIRC the current plan is to keep doing two to three half-seasons a year rather than waiting til they have 13 to drop anything.

They have those 13 episodes ready though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay single sentence review:

"I can't fucking believe I just watched a movie that had Punch and Jewelee in it and now I really want to reread Secret Six."

Didn't dig Batman Ninja all that much.  Visuals look great and I dug a lot of the costume redesigns.  But there wasn't a whole lot of story to prop up the art direction.  The writers seemed to have in mind the anime tropes they wanted to toss in and they put a bare minimum of thought into explaining the whys and hows, or developing characters.  Alfred still wearing his butler uniform after living in feudal Japan for two years?  Um, ok.  Batman driving the batmobile around after it's been in feudal Japan for a couple years?  Less sure about that?  All the Bat villains having these weird-ass, animatronic houses that grow "legs" and walk?  I didn't dig that idea at all (I guess maybe Grodd could build something like that?).

By the time the final battle rolled around and the villain's mobile fortresses combined to from a Voltron-style giant mecha, I was ready to check out.  Too many ideas that seemed to used for throwaway scenes.  I would have preferred they spent some of that time on a character arc or giving one of the villains a motivation that wasn't completely generic.

On 3/6/2018 at 9:06 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I did not realize before watching it that Gotham by Gaslight was rated R. Really caught off guard by the blood and language early on. Not a complaint, just surprised.

It's quite good though.

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight (DC Universe Movie.) Same day I read the original source material, I watched this. Batman’s after Jack the Ripper in Gotham City. A really good Batman film, interesting seeing the similarities and differences to the book. I liked how it used characters that don’t show up in the graphic novel. Selina Kyle and Leslie Thompkins stand out. I didn’t see the twist coming. The animation is another plus point. The movie has strong violence and dark subject matter/themes. Not one for kiddies.

Batman: Bad Blood (DC Universe Movie.) Batman has gone missing. We see how the Bat-family of Alfred Pennyworth, Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne take it as new heroes arrive in Batwoman, Batwing. I went into this for Dick Grayson as Batman and Kate Kane’s Batwoman making her debut in the DC Universe Movie series. I’m a big fan of both from the comic books so I got what I wanted. Kate’s origin/look is as it should be part from one deviation. The story itself is just fine/there. The film has gory deaths.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watch seasons 3 and 4 of Star Wars Rebels?  I've seen seasons 1 & 2 and liked them a lot.  I'm thinking of sinking the time into seasons 3 and 4 (probably after re-watching S1 & 2) and wondering if I should do it now or.... some other time.

If it matters, I'm not much of an American cartoon guy (I do watch a few anime series).  I like animated series here and there, but generally not into even the well-received ones.  I didn't enjoy Clone Wars overmuch.

The last two seasons are good and worth checking out. offhand i'm not sure they reached the high points of Clone Wars, but they certainly came close. Besides you're more receptive to Rebels. Watch it now opposed to later.

Overall I would give it to Rebels because they didn't have nearly as many weak episodes. Still I really dug a lot of Clone Wars arcs, especially stuff focused on the clones themselves. Also should Clone Wars really have felt like the original Star Wars? It may be the same universe, but its a different time period and story despite also being a war. The situation was more complex politically and morally.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I haven't seen a bit of Teen Titans Go, but that was a mighty fine trailer.  Might not see it in theaters, but if it's good I might catch it when it hits Netflix.

My little Sister very rarely goes to the cinema but she said she would see this with me. Hope it happens!

• Like 1