DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Green Lantern was good, but short lived and not on the level as say YJ which lasted about as long and took way less time to get going. 

GL got 26 episodes vs YJ's 46 and had two complete season style arcs in that time, with forward momentum in each arc yet always being self contained. If anything it moved way faster than YJ. 

I think YJ was the superior show for a few reasons but if anything it's the slower pace and penchant for character episodes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

GL got 26 episodes vs YJ's 46 and had two complete season style arcs in that time, with forward momentum in each arc yet always being self contained. If anything it moved way faster than YJ. 

I think YJ was the superior show for a few reasons but if anything it's the slower pace and penchant for character episodes.

My mistake then. I thought Green Lantern had a full length first season and shortened second. When I said get going I was talking less the speed of the plot and more level of interest.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

That, Megas  XLR and post-season-one Exo Squad are my top WHY WON'T YOU LET ME PAY YOU? shows.

Never really saw much of Exo Squad as a kid so I can't remember it well. My older brother on the other hand absolutely loves it and is in the same boat as you. We both loved Megas XLR.

Exo-Squad had really high quality writing.  Unfortunately, the animation doesn't hold up all that well.  It was really like the heir apparent to Robotech, but since it was made directly for western audiences, it didn't have the hang-ups of being a re-versioned Japanese anime.  

At the time though, I was still pretty pissed it had that epilogue/cliffhanger that never got resolved.  Especially when the story got to a perfect endpoint for almost all the characters.

Nolan North and Jason Marsden were both hyping up the Bring Back YJ thing today at Dragon Con, and Peter David allegedly told people a couple weeks ago at a con that he had been asked about pitching an ep. I will believe it when there's a press release..but creators talking it up gives me a fragment of hope.

Any idea when Jack is supposed to start up again?

I think someone died down the Peter David comment and said it was a misquote so I wouldn't expect anything from Young Justice. Honestly out of the Weisman shows that ended too soon I would still prefer a Gargoyles return over both YJ & Spectacular Spider-man.

• 1 month later...

I saw Return of the Caped Crusaders last night, it was a lot of fun.

Some spoilers and easter eggs

Spoiler

In my favorite bit, Batman gets knocked loopy and sees three Catwomen, Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether and Eartha Kitt.

Catwoman tries to turn Batman evil, it doesn't work at first but he begins to change and uses a duplication ray to create multiple Batmen that take over Gotham. It starts with him getting mean, firing Alfred and beating the villains with brass knuckles while saying, "You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts!". I was hoping his appearance would change into Frank Miller's Batman.

The Batusi is well represented.

A bunch of secondary villains appear like King Tut and Egghead.

Catwoman: I'll turn myself in on one condition. You run away with me to Europe, we drink tea at a cafe and live happily ever after.

Robin: Holy unsatisfying ending, Batman!

Yeah, they took a shot at The Dark Knight Rises.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm mad late to the party, but I finally watched "The Killing Joke."  I actually liked the Batgirl/Paris Franz story, with him being in her head and making her doubt herself. They just did a really half-assed job at trying to connect it to the main story. But, by their own admission, their only goal was to lengthen the film.

It just didn't really add anything. And honestly, I feel like the Paris stuff is the least of the objectionable content in that stretch and more Batgirl whining "It was just sex okay? It doesn't have to mean anything!" and pretending she isn't hurt like a teen drama. 

Bruce Timm working his ships into an actual film is just weird. Especially because the age difference/power dynamic between them is fucked. It's like if you picked up your son's girlfriend who you're also coaching in kickboxing. Just sleazy. Also I firmly believe the creepy gargoyle watching them fuck is a placeholder for Bruce Timm himself.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

It just didn't really add anything. And honestly, I feel like the Paris stuff is the least of the objectionable content in that stretch and more Batgirl whining "It was just sex okay? It doesn't have to mean anything!" and pretending she isn't hurt like a teen drama. 

Bruce Timm working his ships into an actual film is just weird. Especially because the age difference/power dynamic between them is fucked. It's like if you picked up your son's girlfriend who you're also coaching in kickboxing. Just sleazy. Also I firmly believe the creepy gargoyle watching them fuck is a placeholder for Bruce Timm himself.

I totally agree, that's why I specifically said it was the Batgirl/Paris story that I actually enjoyed.

I guess my problem is that I can't detach the two. It feels like Babs is drawn to Paris because "At least he pays attention to her." Or something equally stupid/awful. His infatuation is clearly meant to reflect/contrast her own and it just comes off ugly.

Would have much preferred a double feature with a straight adaptation of Killing Joke followed by an adaptation of Ostrander/Yale's Oracle: Year One.