DVDVR Message Board

ALL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY THREAD

hammerva

• RIPPA changed the title to All PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY THREAD

BETTY WHITE -- 100 YEARS YOUNG

it was announced that this documentary on Betty White will still screen on Jan. 17 at around 900 U.S. theaters. It was originally intended to mark her birthday and, given her passing, there was talk of pulling the film.

Just watched THE GHOST OF PETER SELLERS on Criterion Channel this morning and if you like documentaries about disastrous movie productions, check this out.  It's directed by Peter Medak (The Ruling Class, Changeling) about his failed pirate film GHOST IN THE NOONDAY SUN [1974].  It starred Peter Sellar who was absolutely insane on the set and that was just part of all the problems that had started from day 1 in production.  I loved this. 

The Shortlist for the Oscars Best Documentary was announced - so the nominations will come from this list of 15

• Ascension
  • Attica
  • Billie Eilish: The World’s a Little Blurry
  • Faya Dayi
  • The First Wave
  • Flee
  • In the Same Breath
  • Julia
  • President
  • Procession
  • The Rescue
  • Simple as Water
  • Summer of Soul (…Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised)
  • The Velvet Underground
  • Writing with Fire

I'll co-sign on the Super Bob Einstein doc being really good! 

The Beanie Baby doc on HBO Max is good and a really interesting watch, as someone who was a cynical 20something Gen-X'er who mocked the fad back in the day it was cool to get the story on why Beanie Babies were such a huge deal. 

• Like 1

I’d forgotten some of the early Bob stuff, like being writing team with Steve Martin.

i don’t think they mentioned Another Fine Mess, the movie he wrote about Nixon and Agnew. I’ve never seen it, but it’s supposed to be terrible.

edit: oh look, it’s on YouTube.

Edited by odessasteps

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’d forgotten some of the early Bob stuff, like being writing team with Steve Martin.

i don’t think they mentioned Another Fine Mess, the movie he wrote about Nixon and Agnew. I’ve never seen it, but it’s supposed to be terrible.

I only saw the second half or so of the doc so that's pretty wild! The only reason I got to see it, honestly, is because HBO was having a New Year's free preview and it showed up. Be happy to watch the whole thing in a heartbeat. He seemed like such a sweet and loving guy yet with a dirty mind, which is perfect. The pictures with him and his kids are pure love. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

This was posted by JT elsewhere. My response was "the next one Kamau does is gonna be We Need To Talk About MJ"

They did - it was called "The Last Dance"

(Yes I know you meant Michael Jackson but Michael Jordan is MJ"

• Haha 1

Losers on Netflix is pretty fucking awesome.

Now you know why I hate amateur figure skating and the fixed culture that favors the dainty ice princess archetype.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to ALL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY THREAD

The entire series of the Cosby documentary is at Showtime on Demand and I guess I should spoil for the ones who are only watching it on Showtime regular

Spoiler

To say that the signs were there was pretty obvious.   I mean apparently the first known case was in 1966 I believe.  I have only gotten past part 4 yet but the thing that kind of surprised me was almost all but very few white people.  But I guess that mostly changed from Cosby Show then it was anyone.    Maybe that was one of the ways he was able to get away so long with it as fucked up as that sounds.    Also as I guess a way to get away with it he didn't slip the drink sneaky in the drinks.  he handed it to the women.  It just shows the level of trust they had with him 

The other big part of this was the "Spanish Fly" joke.  Doing as far back as 1969.   Imagine doing a joke about a date rape drug for decades and nobody was bothered about it.   Just a sign of the times.  He did the Spanish Fly in his book about childhood for fuck sakes.  Then there is the infamous  'barbeque sauce" scene on Cosby that ends with Bill freaking out that little kids were having this.  

Also interesting that the person who finally put the whole mess out in the public was a comedian born in Philadelphia.   Talk about ironic