DVDVR Message Board

ALL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY THREAD

hammerva

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Andy Warhol Diaries

6 part documentary series

It appears to be half documentary, half reading/recreating Warhol's diary (the one that was published after his death)

For me, I find the continued fame and notoriety for a guy who ... painted a soup can ... far more interesting that the guy himself.

3 minutes ago, Tabe said:

For me, I find the continued fame and notoriety for a guy who ... painted a soup can ... far more interesting that the guy himself.

I nearly spit out my drink when, in the trailer, Rob Lowe says Warhol was the most famous person of the 20th Century

45 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I nearly spit out my drink when, in the trailer, Rob Lowe says Warhol was the most famous person of the 20th Century

I don't even understand why someone would think that's true.

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

I don't even understand why someone would think that's true.

I think Lowe's just so unrelentingly positive that he'd say that about any celebrity.

"Oh, Alex Karras?  He is literally the most famous person of the 20th century!"

"Oh,  Sean Astin?  He is literally the most famous person of the 20th century!"

"Oh, Mary Tyler Moore?  She is literally the most famous person of the 20th century!"

And so on.

Warhol was an influencer before it was a thing. He represented the countercultural revolution in the higher echelons of New York society for the young, rich, and famous who weren’t interested in dinner parties where the wildest thing that happened was Truman Capote telling a ribald anecdote. 

• Like 1

I would definitely recommend the Kanye West documentary on Netflix.  I don't know how many episodes there is going to be since they are doing once a week but each one is 90 minutes long.  it is extremely detailed as it really should be since one of the producers was his friend Coodie who basically gave up his standup career to document Kanye's life.  While it feels like it will start to turn on the next episode after he won his first Grammys, it was fascinating to see his progression from trying to prove that he is more than a producer to trying to join Roc a Fella to trying to get his first album.  Lots of details on his accident before College Dropout came out and how much he was still grinding.    Again if it wasn't for how he turned out and became such a egomaniac  it is almost makes you support him.  Especially around his family.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I would definitely recommend the Kanye West documentary on Netflix.  I don't know how many episodes there is going to be since they are doing once a week but each one is 90 minutes long.  it is extremely detailed as it really should be since one of the producers was his friend Coodie who basically gave up his standup career to document Kanye's life.  While it feels like it will start to turn on the next episode after he won his first Grammys, it was fascinating to see his progression from trying to prove that he is more than a producer to trying to join Roc a Fella to trying to get his first album.  Lots of details on his accident before College Dropout came out and how much he was still grinding.    Again if it wasn't for how he turned out and became such a egomaniac  it is almost makes you support him.  Especially around his family.

It's going to end up being the single biggest insight in to just how fame changes someone, especially when they want it as much as Kanye always did. But I think the real cause for everything he's done since is when Donda passed away. That's kind of when things took a real nosedive, both in his career and personal life. He definitely changed hip-hop with 808s & Heartbreak, and was still massively successful, but I don't think he's ever properly grieved over his mom's death. You can clearly see how much Donda means to him through this documentary, too.

I'm really excited for this to get into the 808s/Twisted Fantasy/Yeezus/Life of Pablo eras of his music, those are my favorite albums of his. At the same time, it's going to be real tragic to watch too, and I'm not looking forward to that.

I wonder if Kanye actually did get creative control over the documentary like he was wanting. Seems very bizarre to cut it down to three parts when Coodie was around for basically every album except Twisted Fantasy. Covering the next 15 years in an hour and a half episode is a real weird choice. Also - I mean, unless it happens more in the third part, there's only been like... two or three times where the film shifted to be about anything other than Kanye. And those moments only happened for a few minutes, tops. Seems like an odd thing to complain about when it's 5 minutes out of a 5 hour documentary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 3:09 PM, RIPPA said:

Jimmy Savile: A British Horror Story

Well this clearly is going to be enraging

Posted this in the TV thread forgetting we had this. I can't remove YT videos on my tablet. The trailer is chilling and the crimes committed by Saville are repulsive. Hope the fucker's rotting in hell.

Watching the MLB Network documentary on Don Mattingly and wait there is a documentary in movie theatres on Nolan Ryan?   Sign me the fuck up. I think it debuts in May

Wait they are also doing on George Carlin documentary in May on HBO. as well 

Edited by hammerva