DVDVR Message Board

General Music Discussion Catch-All

RIPPA

12 hours ago, DMN said:

Drake just dropped a response, but, ehhh, people don't seem to be fucking with it, and it's kinda mid, tbh. Claims he fed Kendrick false info, but you think you would have been ready to hit back with that right after Meet the Grahams if that was the truth, and claims he's 'too famous' to be a pedophile as if there literally isn't mounds of proof that it takes forever for rich and famous sexual predators to get got.

Big 'I'm getting my ass beat but I'm gonna try and act like I won and walk away' energy. Waiting on the next Kendrick track.

The fact that the internet has spent every minute after he dropped bringing in receipts for all the things Drake says Kendrick is lying about is kind of crazy. There is literally an article about Drake paying $15,000 in child support for a 2 year old girl in Miami from 2015. 

Drake is coming off like Frank Reynolds, putting out stuff saying "I don't diddle kids" ignoring the fact that by saying that it just makes it look like he does

James

Just now, J.H. said:

Drake is coming off like Frank Reynolds, putting out stuff saying "I don't diddle kids" ignoring the fact that by saying that it just makes it look like he does

James

His response was essentially, "You fell into my trap,  I leaked all this false information to you and now everyone believes I'm a pedophile."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/4/2024 at 9:41 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I dunno. My bar for "fucking crazy" in a rap battle is shooting at each other. What's so wild about this one?

well, there was a drive-by shooting at Drake's Toronto mansion today, and his bodyguard is in critical condition. We crazy enough yet?  [no word on if it is actually connected to this rap feud or not]

• Like 1

14 hours ago, twiztor said:

well, there was a drive-by shooting at Drake's Toronto mansion today, and his bodyguard is in critical condition. We crazy enough yet?  [no word on if it is actually connected to this rap feud or not]

The rumor is that it wasn't anyone in Kendrick's crew, but it was someone from The Weeknd's crew.  

http://youtu.be/VYMLSPUGfUY?si=uMp8E_d80Pn1ORqw

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'justin sayles @doxellis 21h The plan: Plant a hidden daughter story so you can call your opponent out about fact checking and and win the rap battle on a technicality " yc'

Has drake ever won one of these?

Yeah, I'd say his beef with Meek Mill was "won" by him. I think that's what has his head pumped up thinking he could go against Pusha T and now Kendrick. 

• Like 1

I was about to write no classic rock lunchtime playlist, as the BW3 appeared to be playing modern pop,but as I write this, they are playing So Far Away by dire Straits.

There was a 120 BPM techno version of "If You Wanna Be My Lover" by the Spice Girls on the radio at work yesterday and I thought "if I had to listen to this on a loop I would have a panic attack". It was literally making me nervous. I commented to a co-worker "I usually listen to fast music, but this?" 

• Haha 1

Bill Nelson's Chimera... this was an outstanding new romantic synthpop record. May be one of my favorite records of the year, EP or otherwise. Yukihiro Takahashi of Yellow Magic Orchestra collaborated with Nelson on several of the tracks and at times this feels like an extension of the Naughty Boys record I loved so much. Great record.

The Human League's Fascination!  -- speaking of New Romantics, it's The Human League. The Human League were under immense pressure from their record label to produce a follow up to their Dare album and released this EP as a stop gap measure. It's a credible effort. I prefer the tracks where Phil Oakey sings lead vocals and the girls do backup vocals, but I can see how the alternating vocalists may be appealing to others.

Fall of Saigon's Fall of Saigon... I have mixed feelings about minimal synth. I can enjoy it as background music if I'm in a relaxed enough mood, but if I want to put on a record and get a hit of something, it doesn't really do the trick. This was another group with alternating male and female vocalists. The pair produced quite different sounding tracks. I preferred the female vocalist, whose tracks were built around haunting melodies. The male vocalist's tracks were closer to art pop. 

Children's Hour's Flesh... this was a Kiwi post-punk and whose members went on to form The Headless Chickens, a band I'm much more familiar with having watched a lot of Kiwi music TV in the 90s. Not a bad record this. Outside of the Dunedin sound, this was one of the most interesting records to come out in NZ in 1983. 

Mecht Mensch's Acceptance... low fi hardcore record. Some pretty intense thrashing. They slow things down at times before lashing out again. I quite liked the vocals on this. 

On 5/11/2024 at 12:52 PM, Shartnado said:

Is @Curt McGirt aware of Lorna Shore? My cousin brought this to my attention and if you are looking for a more pleasant panic attack, then...

I looked it up and saw "deathcore" and said no thank you haha. Sorry. 

I was goi g to skip the chain restaurant playlist today but the. I just heard Garbage’s cover of Starman. 

also Mellencamp, Fleetwood Mac, the Stones

On 5/13/2024 at 12:49 PM, odessasteps said:

I was goi g to skip the chain restaurant playlist today but the. I just heard Garbage’s cover of Starman. 

also Mellencamp, Fleetwood Mac, the Stones

I bet it wasn't as good as Tom Jones

I wandered into Vision Video's show at Dragon Con 2021 basically cuz it was Sunday night and I hadn't seen any live music (one of the big reasons I love that con) and the regulars all skipped that year. I've been a huge fan ever since, and their new single is gorgeous, and explicitly about lead vocalist Dusty Gannon dealing with the PTSD he accumulated in Afghanistan and as a paramedic. If they come thru and you like guitar goth/post-punk, the live show is strongly recommended. 

https://youtu.be/fTC-vGWJaDQ?si=CgpcxOnmR5I7i3c5

• Like 1

I've been listening to a lot of Manu Dibango this week. He is mostly known for his international hit, Soul Makossa, which was covered by a bunch of artists in the 70s, but he has an interesting discography beyond that song. Interestingly, while Soul Makossa encouraged United States recording artists to incorporate more African sounds into their music, Dibango borrowed quite heavily from American funk music and later in the 80s even tried to incorporate an electronic sound similar to Herbie Hancock with Rockit. Listening to a bunch of Dibango records let me down a jazz-funk rabbit hole and now I'm on a Lonnie Liston Smith & The Cosmic Echoes kick.