DVDVR Message Board

2021 INDIE WRESTLING

10 hours ago, hammerva said:

So GCW announced on January 29th (I believe) that they will have a 24 hour live show.   Given the amount of talent I don't know how they are going to do it

Here is what the write up on the WON site says

Game Changer Wrestling has announced a 24-hour digital telethon event that will take place in late January.

Joey Janela came out during tonight’s Good Riddance pre-show event and announced that the promotion will be holding a 24-hour telethon called Fight Forever. The show will stream live for free starting on January 29 at 8 pm ET and will run through January 30 at 8 pm ET. It will be a closed set event.

The press release noted that GCW “will partner with individual talent to book curated programming blocks over the course of the telethon.” Matches and participating wrestlers will be announced over the next few weeks.

"Independent wrestling is built on the passion and dedication of its talented performers," GCW promoter Brett Lauderdale said in the press release. "Their sacrifice fuels our industry. These athletes need support, and with no immediate end in sight to the current circumstances, FIGHT FOREVER is a historic opportunity for the wrestling community to come together and have their back when they need it the most."

100% of the donations during the telethon will be given to the performers. Seed funding for the event has been donated by Orange Crush: The Journal of Art and Wrestling.

Can't imagine anything going wrong...

• Like 1

• RIPPA pinned this topic
On 1/5/2021 at 1:05 PM, Log said:

I had heard they were in financial trouble under Al Snow.

This is very interesting.  Jones and Greenberg are actually some players here in Kentucky.

Al had caught a lot of flak during and after the "Speaking Out" movement, too, in regards to his verbal mistreatment of female talent.

On 12/31/2020 at 7:59 PM, hammerva said:

So GCW announced on January 29th (I believe) that they will have a 24 hour live show.   Given the amount of talent I don't know how they are going to do it

Just have people do multiple matches?   

there’s been at least a couple places in WA/BC doing shows from 24-72 hours without huge rosters. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

IT'S A BIG WESTERFUL LIFE! (part one)

WARNING: violence, language, blood, use/mention of beer and marijuana
ORIGINAL AIRDATE: January 24, 2021

...so maybe December 26, 2020 just wasn't meant to be. This "holiday" wrestling special, where "Mad Dog" Marty Sugar has lost the Spirit Of Wrestling and is visited by friends and foes alike as he sleeps the holidays away, has been on the back burner for over a month due to mental health.

Do yourself a favor and don't put your mental health on the back burner. It doesn't help you or the ones you care about the most. Resources are available if you just simple search for them: use your search engine of choice to get the help you need. Today.

In this first half of "It's A Big Westerful Life," Chris Olson tries to help a sleeping Marty Sugar find the Spirit of Wrestling, but will the ghosts of Big West Past and Present be of any help? And what happens when Marty's dreams get invaded by such pests as the DWO and the man who broke Sugar's spirit...Camaro Cope?

With appearances by Danni Deeds, Deztro The Eskimofo, Dylan Murphy, The Advocate, Zilla, and many others. Enjoy!

Edited by Marty Sugar

I'm bummed Allie Kat's show isn't until tomorrow. This card is bonkers.

• Allie Kat vs Willow Nightingale
  • Faye Jackson vs Erica Leigh
  • Lady Frost vs Molly McCoy
  • Kaia McKenna vs Holidead
  • Ziggy Haim vs Brooke Valentine

Camp Leapfrog is doing a Cibernetico, too.

• Like 2

If you take a drink every time you hear Terry Funk yelling FIGHT FOREVER in the Highspots commercial, you will be dead by midnight at this rate.  

The sounds has been shaky all night but for a minute it sounded like the commentary team was actual robots 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, hammerva said:

If you take a drink every time you hear Terry Funk yelling FIGHT FOREVER in the Highspots commercial, you will be dead by midnight at this rate.  

The sounds has been shaky all night but for a minute it sounded like the commentary team was actual robots 

My favorite was somebody on Twitter said it sounded like two depressed robots having sex. I loved it. 

They’re saying it will be back up soon and the audio issues are caused by the simulcast, if they continue they will ditch one of the streams. I guess drop fite? YouTube peeked at 3.3k viewers during the first match, not sure how many are on fight. 

1 hour ago, Peck said:

This is a fantastic Tweet.

1 hour ago, Peck said:

This is a fantastic Tweet.

So,  I was at this show and as I was arriving Nate was getting out of his car. We walked into the venue together and he kept saying how old school it looked. The Palisades had some legendary boxing and wrestling matches but is in one of the worst parts of town. Nate was hilarious. He was only brought in 2-3 times and as a huge 2001-2005 IWA-MS fan I always wanted to see him more.  Still have the signed 8x10 he gave me.  

8 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And it looks like WMG took the replay down so they're gonna need to consider not playing licensed music or skip entrances altogether. Unless they say "Fuck YouTube" and keep it on Fite. 

Ugh hopefully this only affects what’s aired already and doesn’t prevent the rest of the show, music or not. 

22 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Ugh hopefully this only affects what’s aired already and doesn’t prevent the rest of the show, music or not. 

The replay is still on Fite so that's good. If that works when they come back on then I say fuck YouTube and keep it there. 

And it's back up on both. Awesome. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I need to post this before I forget but I'm watching Homicide vs Effy in a quasi death match in 2021. What a time to be alive. 

Also, AJ Gray's match on For the Culture is worth tracking down as well as the main event. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

One day I will quit my job and roam the country helping independent wrestling promotions get their audio levels set correctly for their commentary/ring announcing.  It will be my greatest contribution to mankind. 

• Like 3

So I tweeted that I wasn't a fan of JROSE and think he tries to hard to put himself over instead of the wrestlers. Some girl send me a lengthy tweet back, called me a bitch and blocked me.  Seriously I didn't realize it was wrong to have an opinion in 2021.  I get that its 20 degrees or whatever in the building but he was out there with a heavy fucking jacket on while the ref is still in short sleeves. Be fucking professional and take off the jacket while doing ring introductions. 

You can be unique without making it all about yourself.  Look at Gertner, Chimmel (SP, and Larry Legend for example.  

Also, love the matches I've seen so far but the commentators yelling "fuck' just to do it is about as overdone as the Terry Funk "fight forever" commercial that has played over 400 times so far.