DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

16 hours ago, Craig H said:

I refunded my biomutant preorder. Pretty disappointed to see what the word of mouth is. 

As always, I'll wait for a sale and hope for a NMS-esque transformation in the months to come. 

On the other hand, my daughter got into playing Subnautica. I wonder what she would think about NMS.

I believe they’re also working on a PS5 upgrade. By the time that comes out, the game would be tweaked and patched a lot probably.

I’m seeing a lot of 6-8 scores, and some 4 out of 5s too. Ultimately I think in a few months, once they fix the complaints about an empty open world/sound design/etc, it’ll be a good game. Seems like the base is there, and it’s not a Cyberpunk/Avengers situation where it’s an inherently broken game from the jump. Just some tweaks, really.

I’ll get it when it goes on sale and hope for a free “next-gen” upgrade, instead of them charging for an upgrade (or even worse, straight up releasing a separate, full price PS5 version)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

While technically it might not happen - pretty much everyone is saying that Team Ninja's Final Fantasy Origins game will be officially announced at E3

The rumor I'm hearing as well is it's essentially a Dark Souls or Nioh in the Final Fantasy world.

On 5/19/2021 at 8:56 PM, Casey said:

Lost me at fuckin’ Pinocchio, but yeah no interest in Souls-like games. I don’t enjoy games that difficult just for the novelty of being difficult.

As someone who wrote an essay a few pages back on discovering the Souls series and how I was miffed I had been lead to believe for 10 years that they were just “hard for the sake of hard” games, I must come to defend FromSoft’s honor. Though they will punish carelessness, they are not hard for the sake of hard, are almost always fair and often have an easy way out of tough spots you can discover, and are not even that bad at all if you use a walkthrough. A lot of the Souls-like games even have difficulty settings.

Edited by A.M.B.
  • Like 1

Sony State of Play on Thursday focusing on Horizon Forbidden West.  14 min of gameplay and a release date is what's expected.

Sega's doing a presentation on Thursday focusing on Sonic the Hedgehog.

Info on Dying Light 2 probably being revealed Thursday during a Twitch theme.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Seems like the base is there, and it’s not a Cyberpunk/Avengers situation where it’s an inherently broken game from the jump.

The, I believe, Kotaku review I read said the game crashed about once an hour on the PS5. So it does seem legitimately broken. 

13 hours ago, Jiji said:

The, I believe, Kotaku review I read said the game crashed about once an hour on the PS5. So it does seem legitimately broken. 

It is never a good sign when, if you Google "Biomutant video game crashes" the entire first page of results is "How to prevent Biomutant from crashing at launch"

(though to be fair it seems to be happening more to PC players than console players)

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Pokemon Shining Pearl will both be out on Nov 19

Pokemon Legends Arceus will be out on Jan 28, 2022

• Like 2

I'm really gonna need more reasons other than "4k docked" if Nintendo wants me to buy their new Switch. I'm interested, but for that same amount of money, I can get an Xbox Series S (or an X, depending on how far above $299 they go for the new model). And I'm not interested in shit like Mario or Zelda or Metroid or whatever enough to justify that price tag, either. Nintendo's stuff is basically 1st party games (good to great), then poorly optimized ports of games that are on other systems, some interesting indie titles, and then just thousands of shovelware games.

I want a handheld console again, but I'm not sure the Switch is it for me. Maybe the new Steam/Valve handheld that's rumored, or just spend $100 on a PocketGo s30 or something.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm really gonna need more reasons other than "4k docked" if Nintendo wants me to buy their new Switch. I'm interested, but for that same amount of money, I can get an Xbox Series S (or an X, depending on how far above $299 they go for the new model). And I'm not interested in shit like Mario or Zelda or Metroid or whatever enough to justify that price tag, either. Nintendo's stuff is basically 1st party games (good to great), then poorly optimized ports of games that are on other systems, some interesting indie titles, and then just thousands of shovelware games.

I want a handheld console again, but I'm not sure the Switch is it for me. Maybe the new Steam/Valve handheld that's rumored, or just spend $100 on a PocketGo s30 or something.

Yeah, honestly Nintendo needs something that's not just first party games for whatever new system they have. Their lack of decent third party exclusives have been a problem since the Wii days.

There's not really a point in getting something for the Switch that's third party because it'll show up on PS4/XB1/Steam too.

I bought a Switch Lite from a friend who was done with it which is not bad for a $50 Wawa gift card.  I was going to hold out for the upgraded Switch but you can't go wrong with that price.

As for the upgraded Switch it's definitely on my radar but I worry about supply when considering the chip shortage going on.  I feel I'm going to have a decision to make by year's end on whether i want to get that or try my luck with a PS5.  As for Steam's portable console I'll believe it when I see it but that's on my radar as well.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

God, I like the Switch a good deal - I've liked every Nintendo console, even the Wii U - but your description of the Nintendo catalog is wayyy too accurate.  I do think the Switch has far better third party support than previous consoles, but, even so, most of the third-party Wii U games I buy aren't available on the Xbox store or PSN (Mr. Driller Encore, Black Bird, etc.).  I've gotten too the point where I kinda dislike browsing the Nintendo eshop because there's just so much shovelware and I don't have the time to try to figure out what's worth my attention.  I was browsing the eshop last night and I think 20+ games are releasing for Switch today or tomorrow (I didn't count, but it was quite a few).  I've never heard of most of the titles.

I'm guessing I'll buy a Switch Pro asap, but it depends on how much they enhance the games.  Not too hung up on 4K docked, and I haven't played in handheld mode since the night I bought my first Switch back in 2017.  I'm assuming we'll get into a .5 situation where games are optimized for the Pro or have features not available on the base model.

BTW, Casey, $399 is the rumored price point for the Pro.

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Nintendo's stuff is basically 1st party games (good to great), then poorly optimized ports of games that are on other systems, some interesting indie titles, and then just thousands of shovelware games.

The problem is that Nintendo's hardware is basically one generation behind at least since the Wii, so the publishers can either choose between heavily stripping down their new games, release 5-year-old stuff, develop games specifically for the platform (but then on the cheap side, as it will be Nintendo-console-only) or simply ignore Nintendo's consoles.

Koei is quietly releasing a Modern Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (the sigmas)  re-release next month.  I might grab it to tide me over between ME and whenever Horizon: Forbidden West comes out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Koei is quietly releasing a Modern Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (the sigmas)  re-release next month.  I might grab it to tide me over between ME and whenever Horizon: Forbidden West comes out.

Speaking of Horizon, in just minutes (5pm EST) there's a State Of Play showcase for Forbidden West, with the countdown currently showing vast landscapes from the game. Shit already looks awesome ?

I don't understand why Rippa is going out of his way to ignore the big gaming news of the day.

Re: HFW.  Herman Hulst (ex-president of Guerrilla Games, current head of Sony Worldwide Studios) said about a month ago that HFW was still scheduled for release this year.  It was widely assumed that the State of Play would include a release date.  Kinda odd.  I really can't think of a compelling reason to show off footage if they don't have a release date nailed down.

Edited by Eoae