DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Wobbly Walrus - 9/11/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I was ROLLING when the camera cut to Tamina and Cole hit us with “Tamina also in this matchup.” Sums up her career.

I lost it again when she ate the pin.

Still funny to me that Vince didn’t “get” Broken Hardys, but Firefly Funhouse is now a thing.

Thought everything else was pretty good. Annoying how so many people are still “go away Roman” because his character is finally on the level of his in-ring, absolutely killing it.

Edited by crazypook

16 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hmm...

Nikki tried to dive through the padding to escape.

Pouring one out in solidarity as another successful team act gets thrown on the singles push chacmool ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

also, the Sister Abigail is a terrible hold for that "surprise" moment they were trying to sell that as

"OH MY GOD!"

like, how are you still surprised after she held her in that position for 5 seconds.  Scream that when she first grabbed her, at least.

7 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Bayley might be the best heel in WWE and is cutting the best promos of her career.  She's stepped it up big time since they've gone no crowds.

Amazing transformation from huggable babyface beloved particularly in NXT to where she is now as a heel. Some wrestlers can only be a great face, a great heel. Fewer still are great at both.

Was happy to see Otis continue to outsmart Miz and Morrison.

Women's 4-way was decent. As was Alexa's turn. Still not exactly sure where they go with it. Bray doesn't need a valet/manager ad Alexa isn't replacing Bayley as top female heel any time soon. I'm also trying to figure out how Carmella, Naomi, &/or Mandy didn't make it into this match. Any of the three would have been more interesting opponents for Bayley at Clash.

The mystery woman thing is weird. Carmella and Mandy are only the two who make sense at the moment, and neither needed a gimmick change.

I kind of enjoyed the Fire Fly Funhouse tonight.

Dug everything with Roman once again. I just love the demeanor and minor reactions he does right now. They just say so much about his current character.

17 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Amazing transformation from huggable babyface beloved particularly in NXT to where she is now as a heel. Some wrestlers can only be a great face, a great heel. Fewer still are great at both.

the fun thing about Bayley -- and it's an increasingly rare thing in this era -- is that her turns are infrequent enough to actually still mean something.  Hollywood Hogan was a big deal because it had a decade of Hulkamania as context.  People pleaded in vain for years for the Cena heel turn because it was the only thing left for him to do.  Obviously Hugger Bayley wasn't around nearly that long, but Hugger Bayley was around long enough to have "missed opportunities" to turn, to actually become "played out", making it all the more significant when she finally did.  The opposite of the diminishing returns of The Big Show, who's turned back and forth so much none of it ends up mattering.  Hugger Bayley lasted so long that Evil Bayley -- as fantastic as she is at it (refer to my repeated gushing about her heckling Michael Cole's commentary during the beginning of empty arena days, or her complete checklist of Old School heeling at the Rumble that resulted in the only Lacey Evans match I've ever not regretted watching) -- still feels "wrong" somehow, evidence that the [WWE] universe has been thrown into a disorder that a sufficiently heroic babyface will and must eventually set back to right by beating Bayley for the belt.

Bayley's face run still matters as context to her heel persona, and it's so fun when wrestling storytelling rewards you for remembering historical context of someone's career rather than punished (as is all too often the case, especially in the WWE).  I mean, Sasha initially pulled her to the dark side, and now she's so much further down the darkside that she's now ruthlessly jettisoning Sasha for being a liability and the catalyst for Sasha turning face when she comes back. That's some MacBeth shit and I'm absolutely here for it.

The hugger emoji isn't gone from Bayley's gear; it's crossed out. [which will, hopefully, pay off in 2 or 3 years when she's wrapping up and the "right" Bayley, banished long enough to be missed, finally comes back.  And then we can really start talking about her in that Randy Savage/Eddie Guererro Two Way Players strata] It's just too bad we didn't get a minor chord warped parody of her old theme music like we got with Hollywood Rock or Trust Me Jake; it's about the only thing missing.

and in the meantime she's just such a magnificent Asshole and the matches are good, too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think putting Bray Wyatt/Fiend into the title scene last year was a mistake. Bray Wyatt/Fiend doesn't even seem to care about or even want the title. 

I will say that I like that they actually have the Vince puppet saying "This is such good ****!"

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

the fun thing about Bayley -- and it's an increasingly rare thing in this era -- is that her turns are infrequent enough to actually still mean something.  Hollywood Hogan was a big deal because it had a decade of Hulkamania as context.  People pleaded in vain for years for the Cena heel turn because it was the only thing left for him to do.  Obviously Hugger Bayley wasn't around nearly that long, but Hugger Bayley was around long enough to have "missed opportunities" to turn, to actually become "played out", making it all the more significant when she finally did.  The opposite of the diminishing returns of The Big Show, who's turned back and forth so much none of it ends up mattering.  Hugger Bayley lasted so long that Evil Bayley -- as fantastic as she is at it (refer to my repeated gushing about her heckling Michael Cole's commentary during the beginning of empty arena days, or her complete checklist of Old School heeling at the Rumble that resulted in the only Lacey Evans match I've ever not regretted watching) -- still feels "wrong" somehow, evidence that the [WWE] universe has been thrown into a disorder that a sufficiently heroic babyface will and must eventually set back to right by beating Bayley for the belt.

Bayley's face run still matters as context to her heel persona, and it's so fun when wrestling storytelling rewards you for remembering historical context of someone's career rather than punished (as is all too often the case, especially in the WWE).  I mean, Sasha initially pulled her to the dark side, and now she's so much further down the darkside that she's now ruthlessly jettisoning Sasha for being a liability and the catalyst for Sasha turning face when she comes back. That's some MacBeth shit and I'm absolutely here for it.

The hugger emoji isn't gone from Bayley's gear; it's crossed out. [which will, hopefully, pay off in 2 or 3 years when she's wrapping up and the "right" Bayley, banished long enough to be missed, finally comes back.  And then we can really start talking about her in that Randy Savage/Eddie Guererro Two Way Players strata] It's just too bad we didn't get a minor chord warped parody of her old theme music like we got with Hollywood Rock or Trust Me Jake; it's about the only thing missing.

and in the meantime she's just such a magnificent Asshole and the matches are good, too.

Adding to your great post, how Bayley used duct tape to cross out the hugger plates on her WWE Smackdown Women's Championship shortly after winning it. Hope Bayley makes the year long reign. I'd have kept the WWE Women's Tag Team Titles on the Golden Role Models a little longer for the quality of the act, gives the aforementioned year long reign and doing so it puts back the Banks vs. Bayley match for a bigger PPV. Thanks for bringing up Hollywood Rock, by far the best version of the Rock.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I was disappointed that Bayley didn't explain her attack on Sasha by saying "Sasha was the one who told me my new haircut looked good!"   I guess they were afraid that might babyface her.

Wobbly Walrus might be amusing.  It's WWE, though, so probably not.  I kinda want the Walrus to make a bunch of changes to the funhouse, only for the Vince puppet to get bored the following week and fire him, but that's probably too on the nose.

I really dig heel Roman, even if his face is slowly and creepily morphing into Edge's.  Kinda groaned when they announced the tag match, but it worked fine to reinforce Roman's new character.  Hopefully, Roman gives Jey a savage beating to cement the heel turn. 

2 hours ago, crazypook said:

I was ROLLING when the camera cut to Tamina and Cole hit us with “Tamina also in this matchup.” Sums up her career.

Yeah, that was great.  Cole was just so deadpan that it made it awkward.  Kinda reminded me of Booker calling a Heath Slater match years ago an SD.  Slater came out and Booker says "He calls himself the one-man band....."

<Awkward pause>

"...because he's in a band.....

<Another awkward pause>

"... and he's the only one in it."

WWE commentators have a knack for killing guys’ heat without even trying, lol.

Edited by Eoae
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

They broke up Alexa and Nikki? 

Okay, I can officially stop DVRing this shit now

Fire&Desire, Role Models, IIconics and BlissCross out:  Jax/Bayzler & What's Left Of The Riott Squad in.

worst trade since the Vikings gave Dallas a dynasty's worth of draft picks for Herschel Walker

• Like 1

Roman is such a piece of shit out here....   I LOVE IT.    Also,  Jey Uso is more entertaining than half the roster.  He's a talented guy but that's not the whole story.  The family business with him,  Roman and even Heyman is compelling stuff.  

We pretty much had a Samoan S.W.A.T. Team shout out there... love it.