Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

For the BLOOD SUCKING FREAKS~!


DEAN
 Share

Recommended Posts

Curt McGirt suggested this and I was looking for a fourth thread to post to- so here we go!  Enjoy the greatest Crimson Mask ever achieved.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are two matches I thought of to start this out with. 

1. A great match not entirely based on blood, that just happens to have one of the best sudden splashes of gore ever in it even after a middling bladejob at the beginning. Also neat to see where Minoru Suzuki got his entire schtick from. 

2. A match that is a total bloodfeast with nothing else going for it. Somebody made Mom cry at the dinner table during Thanksgiving (possibly for eating the entire turkey) and the brothers are gonna have it out. 

And go figure, what album was I listening to when I saw this thread was made? Under the Blade by Defleshed ?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope it’s ok to post a match from this territory. As I’ve said before I’ve never seen anything from it that I didn’t like, and I’ve been able to compartmentalize in my head separate from the Brody tragedy. What it lacked in technical mat wrestling it made up for in entertainment, but all oldschool entertainment. Cool gimmicks, scary masks, and crowds like 1984 Mid-Atlantic on steroids. And this lol!

I like this color guy keeping it real, talking about the MONEY nonstop but it’s dubbed commentary. I wish the live version existed somewhere.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I hope it’s ok to post a match from this territory. As I’ve said before I’ve never seen anything from it that I didn’t like, and I’ve been able to compartmentalize in my head separate from the Brody tragedy. What it lacked in technical mat wrestling it made up for in entertainment, but all oldschool entertainment. Cool gimmicks, scary masks, and crowds like 1984 Mid-Atlantic on steroids. And this lol!

I like this color guy keeping it real, talking about the MONEY nonstop but it’s dubbed commentary. I wish the live version existed somewhere.

 

WHITE BOY!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ooooooooooooo I get it. We’re doing the coolest actual crimson mask. In that case my first match belongs, as that’s the coolest one that I know of that the MAT wore lol! Not counting the unknown match from the AWA DVD set of course.

Here’s another token pick similar to Cactus’ match. Any list like this isn’t complete without this guy on it. 

Ric Flair.

This is not the greatest mask but it’s still a good one, and it was many fans our age’s first good look at 1 in master tape quality, plus they got to rewind it over and over again. 

Also there was the green crimson mask that probably made Kevin Sullivan and The Undertaker jealous because it looked scary af.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

2. A match that is a total bloodfeast with nothing else going for it. Somebody made Mom cry at the dinner table during Thanksgiving (possibly for eating the entire turkey) and the brothers are gonna have it out. 

And go figure, what album was I listening to when I saw this thread was made? Under the Blade by Defleshed ?

Lies. You were listening to Under the Blade by Twisted Sister. 

I love that match. I can’t believe the Headhunters never caught on anywhere else.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't even explain why I've kept Onita as my avatar for a million years because I don't even really go out of my way to watch deathmatches anymore. But I really cared about all that deathmatch bullshit when I was young and dumb, as opposed to middle aged and crazy. Onita seemed like an alien from another planet when I got into tape trading and I was fascinated by him. Charisma.

Anyway, this match has absolutely no goddamn wrestling in it at all, but it has a lot of blood. The spot with the scythe and the board is still fucking great.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Lies. You were listening to Under the Blade by Twisted Sister. 

I love that match. I can’t believe the Headhunters never caught on anywhere else.

 

Especially considering how athletic they were for fat guys. Only thing I can think of is that they just didn't want to work in the states. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That original IWA King of the Death Match has to be among my most viewed rassling tapes and I have written about it a couple times in the past. I stuck stuff from that on many video comps, wrestling or otherwise,  showed it to many workers and curious-but-uninitiated new fans, and subjected so many club goers to it when I had access to the VHS players. The event itself is very interesting, and it became more significant due to the great dissemination of the tape because of it's high degree of bootlegging. Not only was it heavily traded and sold, there were "legit" copies of it everywhere in many versions. I upgraded mine a couple times, and then hunted down better and better versions on DVD (has anyone blu-ray'ed it yet?). I love the chapter about it in MFoley's book - I think there is a good documentary to be made about the card, the tape and its' influences.

Anyway, love this match, and the backstories, kay fabe and back stage, add to it if you care to learn. CJ has lost so much blood already and is so dehydrated that his plasma comes out  all syrupy. To quote an a clever dick (namely myself), by the end of the bout "it looks like Mr. Jack has a raspberry Fruit Roll-Up (tm) on his face".

I'm a dracula who has hit a gusher or two in his time,

RAF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

"Not all crimson comes in the form of a mask, my son." - RAF

- RAF

So freaking great. I haven’t looked it up in a while but every time I have everybody has stuck to kayfabe on this one. Love it. I can’t believe this idea wasn’t stolen by others. Did anybody first see this as a youngun like I did most of the bloodiest stuff I ever saw back then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

That original IWA King of the Death Match has to be among my most viewed rassling tapes and I have written about it a couple times in the past. I stuck stuff from that on many video comps, wrestling or otherwise,  showed it to many workers and curious-but-uninitiated new fans, and subjected so many club goers to it when I had access to the VHS players. The event itself is very interesting, and it became more significant due to the great dissemination of the tape because of it's high degree of bootlegging. Not only was it heavily traded and sold, there were "legit" copies of it everywhere in many versions. I upgraded mine a couple times, and then hunted down better and better versions on DVD (has anyone blu-ray'ed it yet?). I love the chapter about it in MFoley's book - I think there is a good documentary to be made about the card, the tape and its' influences.

Anyway, love this match, and the backstories, kay fabe and back stage, add to it if you care to learn. CJ has lost so much blood already and is so dehydrated that his plasma comes out  all syrupy. To quote an a clever dick (namely myself), by the end of the bout "it looks like Mr. Jack has a raspberry Fruit Roll-Up (tm) on his face".

I'm a dracula who has hit a gusher or two in his time,

RAF

That is 1 of the best crimson masks. At the end his face is dark red, and where his beard is mixed with blood is even darker somehow. In the deathmatch thread I mentioned that this match is now underrated because it was the first match many people got ahold of as bloodthirsty adolescences just to see violence and got mad at because it didn’t involve a busted jugular or a being strangled with barbed wire. Great match though, great action and great things all around for all the reason you mentioned. The Cactus Jack vs Ohno match is also very good.

Edited by BloodyChamp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Young Teddy dropping a pint for the cause. Pressure bandage! 

One of the best storyline driven matches ever, and they only built it for 30 minutes. This is better than some matches that were built up for a year. 

Best Ted Dibiase match? 

Best Ric Flair match in a regional promotion?

I remember it not being ranked as the best Mid South match here but it was in the top 10 I think.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...