DVDVR Message Board

(Also Not March Madness): SECRET SANTO March 2020

Matt D

Watched Buzz Sawyer vs Butch Reed from Mid South Wrestling in a dog collar match. Have never seen a mid south match before.

I was surprised at how big the crowd was and how into they were. It was refreshing to not hear any stupid chants. I am not familiar with either wrestler. Love how in wrestling you can decide to change the rules right at the bell and the referee just goes with it. Crowd is super into though, can barely hear the wrestler's speak. Commentary of some sort was not really needed though I would have liked some insight to if they had a previous feud or run in.

Sawyer is such a fun asshole, begging off Reed when he has no avenue to counter or fight back but then later biting Reed in the thigh out of desperation. Reed is so over with the crowd he just has to do simple things to draw them into his comebacks. Loudest pop was just a simple punch to Sawyer from Reed. Got a kick out of Sawyer tying the collar to the rope but the finish was flat to me. Weak looking neckbreaker... thing? The most match antics got the crowd going again. I don't think any match stipulation has ever been followed in wrestling history. You can remove the dog collar, leave hell in a cell, unretire after losing a retirement match. Oh wrestling.

Odd seeing Hacksaw as a serious wrestler, I've only ever seen him as a joke in wwf/e. I heard he had a crazy mid south match with DiBiase, some convoluted gimmick match. Kinda want to see that someday. I could see myself watching more Mid South if I had a guide on what to look for.

Thanks to @NikoBaltimore for the match! It was fun overall, loved the crowd actually getting into it. Reed had good charisma and Sawyer is a real jerk. Would watch more from both.

• Like 3

On 3/9/2020 at 10:50 AM, OctopusCinema said:

El Hijo Del Vikingo vs Taurus vs Jack Evans: 

This is a match that intrigued me enough to keep digging through AAA stuff from the past year or two. Hope you enjoy!

Finally have a chance to review this as this week has been insane with work and everything else.

For starters I am familiar with Vikingo from the few times I saw him on Impact.  Taurus I've seen through a couple gifs and of course I know about Evans.  So this seems like a great combination.  I also noticed El Hijo de Tirantes which reminds me of Tirantes who I just don't like.  El Hijo looks like he clocked out of his job at Foot Locker with that shirt and his build indicates that he either wants to be a wrestler, has wrestled or is just that way because he can.  But either way due to his father I can't stand him.  That plus the fast counts don't help so I'm assuming he's a heelish ref.

As for the match Taurus is a great big man who can go and with being a big man showed that he's a great base for the stuff Vikingo and Evans were throwing at him.  The powerbomb on the outside was nasty and in most matches would have taken the recipient out for a good bit longer than this did.  Vikingo was impressive as he was doing some very unique moves that I don't recall anybody else doing.  I don't know if it's a Visa issue but if he finds his way to the States then he would be immediately beloved.  Just think of the dream matchups the guy can have!  And Jack is great as a heel but busts out some pretty neat moves himself.  As for the flow of the match I get that for this show they were going balls-out crazy throwing everything they can at each other.  Maybe it's the old-school part of me but I would be curious to see what happens if they did half of the moves here and gave it time to register with the crowd.  Maybe that's a Lucha thing that I just need to accept.

Overall I did enjoy the match.  This was definitely a blind spot as while I watched CMLL at points lucha in general wasn't something I checked out.  But the overall presentation did make it feel much more exciting than CMLL and with me working from home for the time being I may find myself checking out more.  Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was pretty universally praised as the best AAA match, and perhaps best lucha match of last year. It's a blast. 

EDIT: I am thinking of this match, right? I know it was another Vikingo singles match and just putting his name into Google brings this up. Now I'm thinking it was versus an unmasked opponent.

EDIT II: Just started to watch the match above to check. Anywho, this was MY favorite lucha match last year and is totally different than either of the ones above, just to give some perspective on a pretty wide-ranging style. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1

I know some of you are very busy with work, but given the things being cancelled and social isolation, etc, and how generally well everyone did, we're definitely re-rolling for week 2 tomorrow. If anyone needs to jump off or anyone else wants to jump on, try to let me know today in this thread.

Thanks.

Violence is Forever (Dominic Garrini and Kevin Ku) vs. They Might Be Giants (Marko Stunt and Cabana Man Dan), No Holds Barred Match for the Southern Underground Pro Tag Team Championship, SUP’s “Those Who Fear Tomorrow,” 6/2/19 in Nashville. Recommended by @AxB.

I’m familiar with Garrini and Dan, via his work in AIW and his comedy work when he takes a trip to PA indies, respectively. I’d consider myself a fan of both, but I wasn’t expecting Dan to be THIS good a brawler.

They Might Be Giants with the ironic 80’s pop hit theme music of the night award.

This match starts off hot, with ViF hauling in the chairs like this is ECW in 1996, and I’m game. The match starts off as a brawl and stays there. Kevin Ku in particular is a DICK, using paper and lemons as a weapon. One of my pet peeves in a lot of modern tag matches is that pinfall breakups often seem like the guy making the save barely touches his opponent. We don’t have that problem here, as pins are broken by waffling the FUCK out of ‘em with a chair.

The match is some kind of Frankenstein’s monster of an early FMW tag team street fight, an ECW “extreme death match” (all the way down to the cookie sheets) and Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne vs. the Nasty Boys at Spring Stampede ‘94. There are no pretty moves here, not even the dives of someone like Marko Stunt, who launches himself like a javelin at Ku in the opening minutes. And you know what? This is pretty fucking great. There is barely any grappling in a heated brawl, and the one apron bump the whole match is an ugly-ass suplex.

This is definitely a Southern kind of brawl, from the time spent outside the ring and using some of the familiar modern deathmatch tropes like skewers, to the blood. Part of me wonders if the match would have been better served as a falls count anywhere stipulation, because it almost seems FORCED when everyone gets back into the ring.

Some VERY creative chair use, such as a con-chair-to on Garrini’s toes, and wrapping one around someone’s neck and hitting the legs of it with another, adds to the creativity, as does the use of tacks, both on Dan’s flip-flops and as a hazard for Garrini’s feet.

The match ends after the mat is peeled back, revealing the wooden born. Ku gets in the ring after Garrini falls out the ring to pull the racks out of his feet. A brief exchange between Ku and Dan, each one showing the effects of a hellacious war, and Ku ends it with a gnarly piledriver onto the wood for the three.

Everyone involved look like they’ve just been through hell, which is the aim of a match like this. I will admit to laughing at how tiny the championship trophy is, as it’s awarded to a guy who just had skewers lodged in his fuckin’ forehead.

I’ve known about SUP’s status as one of IWTV’s Crown Jewels, but didn’t know how good they were until catching some of that Thursday Night Fox from after the tornado in Nashville. This, and what I saw from that compilation, got me more interested in SUP, and if it’s got more nasty shit like this, without the modern indie tropes that can be annoying sometimes, then sign me up.

Edited by Super Ape
Proper review.
  • Thanks 1

The Great War 1987 Carlos Colon, Bruiser Brody, TNT, Dutch Mantel and some dude in a mask(Invader?) vs. Hercules Ayala, The Iron Sheik, Abdullah The Butcher, Chicky Star, and Grizzly Boone. 

This is kind of hard to write about because there is a lot going on, but most of it is just punches and kicks.  With that said, the goal of the match is for one team to handcuff every member of the other team to the side of the cage.  Once every member of the team is handcuffed, the winning team gets to beat their asses for 5 full minutes. 

The match kind of plays out like a Royal Rumble, where two guys are the focus of the fighting, but everyone else kind of conveniently pair off to the side.  It works, but as the match goes on, you see that some people on the side (not naming any names, Abudullah) are kind of just standing there.  More often or not, Carlos Colon is the focus which is fine until he decides in the middle of this crazy brawl to start working a leg and locks in a figure four.  The figure four gets broken up, and no one does another wrestling move for the entire match.  It was like he thought the crowd would be disappointed if he doesn’t do at least one wrestling move.  The match eventually breaks down to guys fighting over the handcuffs, and that’s when the tension starts to build. 

The final four are Colon, Invader, Sheiky baby, and Abdullah.  As Colon is handcuffing Abdullah, The Iron Sheik handcuffs the Invader.  Sheik goes into his tights and gets an undocumented object and goes to town on Colon’s head.  The match ends as The Sheik takes Colon into the corner, where Chicky Star helps him handcuff Colon to the cage.  This leads to one of the most brutal heel beatdowns I’ve ever watched.  The Iron Sheik whips Colon with a belt, beats the bejesus out of Carlos Colon with his fists, puts him in the camel clutch (where that weasel, Chicky Star repeatedly kicks him in the face), covers him in the Iranian flag, and leaves him laying in a pool of his own blood…then proceeds to beat him with the flag pole. 

This was a fun watch, but I don’t know how I would rate it.  This isn’t some sort of work rate classic, or even that wild and crazy of a brawl, but I bet everyone in that building remembers it fondly.  Sometimes that’s all that matters. 

This is a match that I would have never watched on my own, but I’m glad it was assigned to me.  I’m pretty sure this is the first time I’ve seen Invader, Hercules Ayala, Chicky Star or Grizzly Boone.  I have to say, Chicky Star is my favorite of that bunch.  He got his ass kicked almost every time he’s on screen, and he just comes off as the sleaziest dude in the world.  He’s the kind of guy who will pick a fight with you at the bar, but instead of him fighting like a man, he just pokes you in the eye.  He doesn’t even have to be doing anything, and you’ll have a strong desire to jump into your television and punch him in the face.  He’s just loathsome.   

• Like 2

Shinya Hoshimoto vs Kensuke Sasaki - 8/31/1997

And it all started with a stare down. A moment so simple, that when right, nothing is better to start out a big bout. I may be unfamiliar with both these gentlemen’s work. But for this moment I know the aura I can feel. The idea of competitors. I forget about Kyle being a rude jackass in front of customers at work. I forget about my light headache. I forget about biting my tongue a minute ago. I only know one thing. A strong dude with a mullet and another strong dude with hair my mom has in pictures before I was born are looking into each other’s eyes, ready to compete for an absolutely gorgeous looking IWGP Championship. 

Kensuke Sasaki and Shinya Hashimoto lock fingers twice. Both times Sakaki establishes his strength. The first time he is able to move Hashimoto to the ropes. The second he bends his body downward so Hoshimoto is lower than him with his wrists bend back. Being a wise champion, Hashimoto uses his body positioning to push Sasaki to the ropes, leveraging his head against his shoulders to drive him.

These moments are barely a few minutes, yet are handled with such grace and pacing that they’re bodies seamlessly struggled together as a smooth Bela Tarr camera shot. These are truly competitors that will inch against for the grand prize and I have a feeling each moment of pushing against each other will matter for the victory.

Kensuke Sasaki seemed to have the advantage early with lock ups. How about early strikes? That’s going to The Champ. Shinya Hoshimoto’s open hand strikes for the time being is moving Kensuke Sasaki’s chops in the early minutes. Very good play by Hoshimoto to abort the lockup’s for raw swinging physicality. After a few strikes and moving Sasaki around, grounding Sasaki with a rebounding shoulder tackle is his play. Just as Sasaki was standing over Hoshimoto on his knees a minute ago, Sasaki separates, holding his chest and the roles are now completely reversed. This is merely all within the first few minutes. 

I usually don’t like writing reviews as play by plays, but at times this showdown comes across so grand and larger than life that I seem to revert it. These sequences seemed well placed for how I’m interpreting these athletes to be. I don’t know the story of Shinya. I saw in the description of the YouTube page that this was a part of his long title run. I only know Kensuke Sasaki from his 2005 chop off with Kenta Kobashi. So seeing him as the one losing a strike exchange makes me see this Shinya Hoshimoto as a mythic open hand slapping beast. All who hear Shinya Hoshimoto should Fear him. All who hear Shinya Hoshimoto should respect him. I know I do.

The following sequence involves Kensuke Sasaki taking what he learned early on was his advantage and running with it. Hand lockup transitioned into grounding towards an arm bar. And under utilized way of making an arm bar, or in this case maybe struggling to maintain a near arm bar is how it is sold. I’ll see a lot of workers get it put in, lay on their belly, and wildly wave their arms and head. Shinya Hoshimoto does one better. Wincing in pain, he doesn’t drop down fully and stoically keeps trying to push himself up out of it. The most important part of his body visually to the viewers is his fingers. He keeps moving them and pumping his fingers to keep circulation. 

After grinding him down, Kensuke Sasaki let’s go and begins working over Hoshimoto’s shoulder with stomps. Lifting him up and finally showing he isn’t to be messed around with strikes, delivers a series of chops to down the groggy champ. Shinya Hoshimoto appears to not be one to be put down at his own game, after a few seconds to snap himself back into the match, slaps the heck out of Sasaki. Downing him to the point of holding his chest in pain.

The rest of the match is the battle of positioning. Shinya maintains striking dominance throughout with fiery moments of Kensuke Sasaki knocking Hoshimoto over with stiff chops or slaps to the face. But Hoshimoto’s strikes are just too strong to maintain any comeback advantage. Back and forth they go with Sasaki’s power moves being blocked. After Sasaki reverses a duplex we seem to be in End game. Sasaki brings us home with head chops and lariats. A stiff power bomb and then his finishing move that I don’t know the name of ends the day. The selling that Kensuke Sasaki did after being knocked over each time pays off in the end with such a rewarding feeling that he is the one holding his hands up. 

I enjoy matches like this. Where there is a visible struggle to get a move accomplished. When a lockup can be intriguing, I’m interested. Thanks @Six String Orchestra for the recommendation. Any other of either of these guys’ match you’d recommend me checking out? 

Sadly, now that the match is over, I bumped that damn same spot on my tongue I bit. 

_____

Glad you liked the match, @NikoBaltimore. I thought it would be a breezy enough match with enough popping off back and forth between all three guys that it would be a good way to start. I highly recommend the match with Vikingo vs Laredo Kid that my dude @Curt McGirt posted. It’s cool seeing him in a one on one match after the craziness of the triple threat.

I think in terms of American work he’s had a few matches with Impact this year. I’m not sure what any contract situation is. 

Edit: ITS HASHIMOTO, damn it! ?

Edited by OctopusCinema
Woof
  • Like 2

On 3/9/2020 at 9:39 AM, Goodear said:

@Ace said he was a little short on Euro and... well... Jim Breaks.

I'd seen Kung Fu before, I believe. But this is the first time I've seen Jim Breaks. 

Jim Breaks is great at stalling. Jawing to the crowd and keeping them into it, as Kung Fu seems to be a charisma vacuum. The first round is mostly Breaks working the arm and wrist, and the second round doesn't exist. Kung Fu gets a nice escape out of Breaks working the arms by using his toes to grab his ears and then his nose for the escape, before he rolls Breaks up for the first fall. 

Breaks gets his first fall in round 5, by trapping Kung Fu's arm in the ropes before he uses his lifting wrist/arm submission hold to gake the fall.

Breaks is great in round 6, getting cheap shots and then stooging for Kung Fu. The ending is rushed as Breaks gets DQ'd while getting Kung Fu to submit to the Breaks lift again.

A bit rushed, I'd like to see a bit more mat work to be honest.

• Like 2

Okay, a couple things: 

First off I knew my pick would probably be the worst of the whole lot, because it was kind of rushed/top of the dome and because PR is just... well, it's so basic. What I really wanted to pick was the match the day right before which was also a Gran Guerra where the faces won, where Brody is at the end at the top of the cage swinging his chain like a maniac, and the crowd is going batshit. At the same time I can't say it's too different than this one except for the ending so instead the heat gets pointed towards the heels and you better believe, they had to get out firearms to get those guys out of the building. I still haven't watched it again since I did the PR project but I remember the Sheik just going in a coke frenzy and beating the shit out of Carlos and thought "yeah, that is Puerto Rico, that's my pick". It's about a good an introduction to a style you can get which is super simple and bloodsoaked. You aren't gonna get a great load of matwork out of PR, but you will get some pretty great heel/face psychology and a sick amount of heat. I guess it's kind of like Memphis in that respect. Gimmicks, heat, and blood. There are probably some other good examples of the style and I'll look through old notes and try to dig up those matches. 

And yeah, Chicky Starr is such a motherfucker. I'll also grab the video of him, Carlos and Stan Hansen that is one of the most wildly tasteless bits of heat-garnering in wrestling ever. 

Second! Here is more Hash, because Hash is the best. 

• Thanks 1

According to my notes from the '80s set these should be pretty good. 

I specifically remember the last one being the shit and the screencap probably says it all. 

And just for good measure here is Chicky Starr, ultimate scumbag. "FINISH WITH HIM! ALRIGHT, THAT'S WHAT I LIKE IT!" 

I'd like to jump in on this for one week, if that's OK.

I have YouTube and Dailymotion, and an absolute ton of stuff filed away on hard drives and DVDs. 

I love 70s and 80s and 90s wrestling, hate current WWE, have learned to accept and enjoy current AEW and NJPW for what they are. I have a huge blind spot from about 2005 through 2014 when I watched very little wrestling (other than Oskak Pro live shows). Based on the little I have gone back and watched, it wasn't for me anyway.  Have never seen any Argentinean pro wrestling. Have only seen one French match in my life, and that was very very recently.

I love comedy. I was a regular at Osaka Pro shows from 2009 through 2014 and that was probably the peak of my pro wrestling fandom. I think Yamazaki and Albright vs Vader and Tenta is the most underrated pair of great matches ever.

Edited by gordi
  • Like 1

@Matt Dgave me Jim Breaks vs. Zoltan Boscik, Which I could not be more pleased about. I have had a taste of British Wrestling from back in the day, but my entry point was a somewhat odd one in Steve Grey. Not that Grey wasn’t great (he clearly was), but I assume most people’s intro to WoS is Johnny Saint.   But for some reason Breaks, who I always heard was the best of the bunch, always escaped me. Getting a chance to watch the guy who is considered the best of all of the WoS guys, who seem to be the kings of technicians? I was in.

But Breaks wasn’t really the king of technicians here (though he was very solid). He was something much better. He was the best little shit I had seen in a wrestling ring in my life. My god, in what was a very very good match, the main thing I took away from this is Breaks might be the best small man to ever portray having a Napoleon Complex in any form of media ever. From even before the opening bell he throws a temper tantrum that was more overly dramatic then my cousin in laws I’d babysit when they 3 or 4 who were upset, all because a fan presented him with a pacifier (well done fan). Like, Zoltan is very good in this match, but Breaks really is the one that just jumps off the screen. 

The first fall of this is basically Breaks getting outworked by an incredibly sharp wrestler in Boscik, and getting pissy about it. I feel like I’m underselling Boscik in this review because god damn he is sharp. Breaks goes to get advantage with a snapmare takedown multiple times, and every time Boscik has flipped straight back into a standing position, to Breaks annoyance. Another thing I really loved in the early parts of this match is that every time Bostic makes a counter or hold, it’s always quick, sharp and decisive. It snows general expertise that makes it clear to the fans he is the superior “wrestler”, were as every time Breaks takes control, it looks gritty, just pushing Bostic down by bending the head into a grounded headlock.  I also completely love that Bostic is ready every time Breaks goes for something underhanded. Bostic reacts first: Breaks goes for handshakes, and Bostic transitions it into a hold, Breaks feigns an injury and Bostic is already prepared for the attack. 

Also Breaks is just fantastic arguing with the crowd in this. Like holy shit. Masterclass there. 

The first fall is a fantastic finish. Bostic scores a big offensive move with what appears to be a double hammer strike to the midsection of Breaks. Breaks, then attempts to buy time by claiming he needs to tie his shoe and arguing with the ref. Bostic uses this moment to make an absolute ass out Breaks by trapping his back foot in the apron, leading to Breaks tripping and flailing and my god he is not afraid to make himself look stupid. He finally gets up, blind charges in rage, Bostic counters and gets the pin with a Folding Press. Breaks completely makes this finish. A chef kiss here.

After the fall, Breaks starts to take a bit of control by attack Bostics arm. At this point, Breaks has gone for a Snapmare at least 5 times, and every time Bostic has rolled through, and it just pissing Breaks off more and more as the match continues. Another thing I love about Breaks early is I’m never sure if he’s selling or trying to draw his opponent in to counter. And finally for Breaks, he gets his Snapmare in round 5, and it’s into the ropes, and looks damn painful. And it’s a great setup, because once he hits the first one, the match is basically over. The snap into the apron hurts Bostics back badly, and he follows it up by doing the same thing multiple times. He quickly wraps in a Boston Crab, to an immediate submission. The third fall is also rapid. Bostic is basically broken, only getting a short burst off offense, before Breaks retains control and gets the tap out to the Breaks special.

So, how did I like this: if my review didn’t make it clear enough, I really liked this. Bostic is a joy to watch, but the real story is Jim fucking Breaks. In one match it becomes clear he was an outstanding heel, and a fantastic wrestler. This was a joy.

Edited by The Man Known as Dan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My mind must've slipped (go figure) in mentioning my initial blind spots because I have seen practically no World of Sport. Maybe one Johnny Saint match on a Schneider comp is it. (German Catch either now that I'm thinking about it. Give me something from either and I'll review it.) So I watched the Breaks/Kung Fu match and was really entertained by Breaks, the little shit. You can see where all the joint manipulation stuff that current British wrestlers pull comes from but besides that, as said above, god is he so slappable. It would have been interesting to see him team up with Bill Dundee as a pair of short guys that could work a crowd. The foot stuff was weird and fetish level but otherwise Kung Fu didn't make any impact but Breaks -- give me more. 

All the rules of WoS are so weird and quaint too. And I love the timekeeper doing a blast beat on the bell every time haha

You guys did great. If a review is still lingering, get it in when you can. 

Week 2. 

Smelly McUgly
Curt McGirt

Ace
supremebve

Matt D
Six String Orchestra

NikoBaltimore
Super Ape

The Man Known as Dan
AxB

OctopusCinema
Goodear

I had to roll the dice a couple of times to prevent a dupe from last week but I think we're good now. As we added a person, we have an even number and no trios are needed. Same schedule. Try to get your match to your partner today or mid-day tomorrow at the latest. Review by Saturday. If you guys do half as well as you did for week 1, we'll reroll on Sunday.

@Six String Orchestra, I'll have something for you later today.

• Thanks 2

Ok, @Six String Orchestra, this is actually so hard because I could give you twenty matches, no problem. Maybe fifty, from all sorts of territories and try to get you a starting point for lucha on top of that. Heck, I could probably give you fifty just from Houston based on what you said and your reaction to the Duggan vs Sawyer match.

Instead, I want to give you something accessible, with commentary, that is universally thought to be great, with at least one familiar face. This was #2 in the AWA best of the 80s project we did here ten years or so ago. 

It's Blood in/on the Sand, the Midnight Rockers vs Buddy Rose and Doug Somers.

Somers was a journeyman lowcard guy. Buddy Rose was the biggest heel on the West Coast (Portland especially) in the late 70s and early 80s. He'd put on even more weight and blown his big chances in New York due to personal issues (and maybe giving too much to jobbers, but mostly personal issues). The pairing here would have Sherri Martel as a manager at times and got huge heat.  The Midnight Rockers were a combo of Michaels, who came up in Texas and Jannetty who mainly from Central States (KC), and were a copycat team of the Fabulous Ones/Fantastics/Rock'n'Roll express, the first two of the three having been through the AWA at this time. AWA was in clear decline (mainly due to  Vince's raids, with Heenan being the final straw, but also Verne's stale booking and an aging roster) by this point and did most of its tapings at a casino in Los Vegas.

The date is actually 8/30/86. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Thanks 1

@NikoBaltimore; since you said old puro is a blind spot, I thought I’d recommend you this Showa-era gem; Rikidozan vs. the Destroyer from 1963, for the International Heavyweight Championship. Mainly because Destroyer fucking rules, and his heel work here is an incredible foil for the national hero in Rikidozan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1