DVDVR Message Board

NFL PRESEASON 2019

Dolfan in NYC

16 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Antonio Brown suffered a foot injury because of extreme frostbite.   How do you get extreme frostbite in the summer in California?  You get in one of cryotherapy machine bare foot.   ?‍♂️?‍♂️ 

I know I said it, but now I really want to dig deeper in the Antonio Brown/Rickey Henderson cross sport comparison.

• both gave themselves frostbite on their feet in the middle of summer
  • played in Oakland
  • seems to be the biggest weirdo in a league full of weirdos
  • are legitimate all time greats, but when you look at the numbers they are both probably even better than you think (Antonio Brown had a down year last year...with 104 catches, 1,300 yards, 15 TDs.)
  • seem to be all about themselves, but also outwork everyone around them

10 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

The Texans are morons.

I love how the Astros and Rockets have top tier GMs and the Texans don’t even have one.

Let’s also not let it slip that the Texans released yet another 3rd round pick and never bothered to draft or sign another RB just in case Foreman didn’t recover fully from his Achilles injury or never learned to “practice” the Bill O’Brien way. 

More Taiwan Jones? More undrafted rookies? Just run Lamar Miller up the gut 30 times a game. 

Sorry Raiders. Texans are the worst run franchise.

Wait, my Bengals just folded?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Complaining about hits in practice is silly. Hit him back during the game. Im sure there’s a good pick play they can do to get him back. 

Also, apparently not a no contact drill. 

Big hits during a no tackling drill. He was clearly in the wrong. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tabe said:

Big hits during a no tackling drill. He was clearly in the wrong. 

https://twitter.com/MarkB https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1158418537817497600?s=20 ermanFox26/status/1158418537817497600?s=20

Yeah, so, nobody but Rodgers (I think) was calling it a no contact drill.  GB is a bunch of pansies.  I mean, what's the point of joint practices if you're not going to get that in-game feel?  And if Rodgers is gonna complain about joint practices, isn't he really complaining about his own team's decisions? 

I'm not crazy about joint practices, and don't agree with the Texans front office on just about anything, but joint practices did give us DeAndre Hopkins breaking DeAngelo Hall's ankles. 

And now Nick Bosa can spend the rest of the pre-season scrubbing his social media accounts.   He's got a "significant" ankle sprain and will miss the rest of the pre-season for the Niners. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Cleveland has traded RB Duke Johnson to Houston for a 4 in '20.   (Can become a 3.)

That’s crazy. If Duke plays 10 games it’s a 3rd. Given our history with 3rd round picks, though, maybe not a bad trade. But with any competent GM, that’s an awful lot for a 3rd down back. 

Good thing we don’t have a GM. ?

20 hours ago, sabremike said:

Wait, my Bengals just folded?

Raiders, Bills and Jets probably belong here as well.

But what's remarkable is how quickly Houston has jumped into contention.

47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Clearly after one meaningless game - the Daniel Jones vs. Dwayne Haskins debate is settled

That's how this works, right?

And the clear winner seems to be Kyler Murray.  Looked really good against the Chargers and better than the other 2 from what I saw

Also what we learned from last night:

1.  Probably about 75% of pass interference calls this year will be reversed 

2.  the Lions are in mid season form.  Did they even start 2nd stringers?

Well, if yesterday is to be believed, undrafted rookie Preston Williams is going to be getting a gold jacket before Zach Thomas.

Also, Josh Rosen looked like Donny Donowitz out there.  I'm saying he's starting by Week 4. 

On 8/7/2019 at 10:54 AM, supremebve said:

I know I said it, but now I really want to dig deeper in the Antonio Brown/Rickey Henderson cross sport comparison.

• both gave themselves frostbite on their feet in the middle of summer
  • played in Oakland
  • seems to be the biggest weirdo in a league full of weirdos
  • are legitimate all time greats, but when you look at the numbers they are both probably even better than you think (Antonio Brown had a down year last year...with 104 catches, 1,300 yards, 15 TDs.)
  • seem to be all about themselves, but also outwork everyone around them

Well, this whole "Antonio Brown to the Raiders" thing seems to be going incredibly well so far.

Reminder that the Raiders put Brown on the NFI list to start camp, meaning he couldn't practice with the team.

They took him OFF the NFI list, saying that he cleared his physical and was able to practice with the team. I don't think he's actually practiced with the team yet, though.

He can't go back ON the NFI list, so he's going to count against the Raiders' 53-man roster when the season starts, where he wouldn't have had he remained on the NFI list. (Though if he had been on NFI on 1 September, he would have been forced to miss the first six games of the season.)

So the Gruden/Mayock era seems to be going really well here.

Edited by Gonzo
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Well, this whole "Antonio Brown to the Raiders" thing seems to be going incredibly well so far.

Reminder that the Raiders put Brown on the NFI list to start camp, meaning he couldn't practice with the team.

They took him OFF the NFI list, saying that he cleared his physical and was able to practice with the team. I don't think he's actually practiced with the team yet, though.

He can't go back ON the NFI list, so he's going to count against the Raiders' 53-man roster when the season starts, where he wouldn't have had he remained on the NFI list. (Though if he had been on NFI on 1 September, he would have been forced to miss the first six games of the season.)

So the Gruden/Mayock era seems to be going really well here.

Here's the thing about Antonio Brown though, once he's healthy it's not going to matter.  If you watched the first episode of Hard Knocks, you'd realize that once he's on the field he's still better than everyone.  He was running the skin off his feet because he refused to not run his 100% fastest at all times.  He's a crazy person, but he's as good as anyone who has ever played that position.

Okay, Schefter clarified that AB has filed a grievance with the NFL because he believes the new NFL-approved helmets protrude out further and interfere with his ability to see and catch the ball.    Oakland has sent him various models to try out, but he's not interested. 

Guess he's trying to get his old helmet grandfathered in. 

----

In other news, Cleveland's Antonio Callaway just got 4 games off for violating the substance abuse policy. 

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Read this whole thread

I want someone to write a thoroughly researched book on the craziest players in the history of the NFL.  Antonio Brown is climbing the crazy ladder more and more every single day.  

• Like 1