DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Anniversary 2019

Archibald

Will update the card as more matches get confirmed.

Anniversary Event 2019/3/6:

Narita/Umino/Yoshida/Yano/Makabe vs Hikuleo/Chase/GoD/Fale

Henare/Nagata vs Yoshi/Ishii

Dragon Lee/Taguchi/Tiger Mask/Honma/Kojima vs Taka/Desperado/Kanemaru/Taichi/Suzuki

Bushi/Shingo vs R3K for Jr. tag titles

Ishimori vs Liger for Jr. title.

Goto/Okada/Tanahashi vs Evil/Sanada/Naito

White/Ospreay

Thoughts:

This is likely were we'll get Nagata/Ishii since earlier shows are putting them against each other in tag team matches.

Nobody really has any big match announced. White is clearly not defending his title here and not doing any "special singles match" like Okada did. Naito and Ospreay could defend their titles here, but against whom? Same for heavy tags, thou they can in theory do GoD winning on Honor Rising shows and Evil/Sanada winning it back here...

Or will they run Ishimori/Liger as main event?

The Anniversary show is usually tag matches outside of 1 or 2 big matches.  Ishimori makes sense facing Liger as this is where they usually run Heavy Champ vs. Junior Champ, but with it being White and Ishimori in those roles, we're not likely to get it right now, (even though we got it with Okada/Ospreay last year, the circumstances were different.

I suspect you're right, however: This is the obligatory post where I note that LIJ has a high profile tag match, and Hiromu just tweeted that he's at 95% capacity (or rather, 950% on a scale that goes to 1000). Maybe you'd want Dragon Lee in the building for that?

Jay and Ospreay is... or could be... well, I don't know. White's whole thing is being, essentially, the first post-Tana main eventer--by which I mean, the first to wrestle as if he's entirely aware of the tropes Tanahashi canonized, and avoid/counter them--whereas Ospreay is following that very familiar path from high spot junior to high/power/strike spot heavy. It will be interesting to see how they structure it; I'm not sure it will be really fun, though.

So...wait, Taichi has started doing stuff related to Hokuto no Ken(Fist of the North Star) and even named his thrust kick finish after a move from it called Tensho Juji Ho which is a specific pose? That's amazing. He's also been acting like some character named Souther.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

RoH uploaded old Ospreay/White match:

I haven't seen much if anything from White's time at RoH so this was interesting watch to me. You can already see some of the tropes (or anti-tropes) in play that White is using currently.

• Like 1

So this show was today:

Undercard was okay, nothing really stood out, but at the same time it was perfectly fine and built up some NJ Cup first round matches. Oh and Taichi has Iizuka's stuff if you haven't seen pictures of that already.

I really like tag titles match and I hope that this is the end of their feud, at least for now. it also sounded like crowd were reacting to R3K decently considering who they were facing. Anyway, I'm ready for something new in this division. Also, I get that Shingo is super protected, but I kinda felt that this might have been good moment for him to eat his first pin and really put R3K over.

Ishimori is upping his mask game.The match was great even if nobody thought that Liger had a chance. I guess another good example of Liger being one of the greats. And I don't know, I wasn't very high on Ishimori last year and I thought that his match against Kushida was so-so even taking in mind that they didn't have much time. But I LOVED his match against Taguchi and this was, as I said, great. So yeah, I need to think about this a bit more, but I think that Ishimori might have delivered two MOTYC for me in three months. And I don't know, feels like he might deliver another MOTYC next month considering who his next opponent is.

I guess they swerved us really good with Dragon Lee being on the card and possible Hiromu's return. Since I think nobody expected Ishimori/Dragon Lee to be happening at MSG.

I'm not sure what to think about Evil's changing entrance stuff. I understand that they probably want him to look more serious, but at the same time I always found it somewhat cool that he looked like he just bought some cheap shit on Halloween clearance. Overall match was fun, but had a "greatest hits with some twists" feel to it. And very nice of Goto to bring back one of his old moves here. I guess their NJ Cup match will be about who can trap who.

Main event was White and Ospreay doing their things so I think it really depends on how much you like/dislike their things. By that I mean that if you still don't like White then you are not going to start liking him after this match, same for Ospreay probably. Also, they did that dive into guardrails counter in their previous RoH match as well and I wonder why we don't see this counter more often from different people as well.

I saw some people complaining about Gedo in this match, but I think they are protecting Ospreay for NJ Cup, because if he lost 100% clean then there would be less drama for his NJ Cup run. And well, White's Bullet Club is supposed to be closer to how it was "back then" and back then you'd have interferences in every single match. Sure, it makes Ospreay look like an idiot a bit, but I think he looks like that either way ? but people cheered him on his way out so I guess it worked out in the end?

I'm also kinda convinced that neither of the 5 man who stood at the end in the ring will win NJ Cup.

Edited by Archibald

I'll cancel my subscription again if Bad Luck Fale doesn't get to face Lance Archer in a battle of the hosses. They gotta have someone from Bullet Club at least do somewhat decent in the tournament, and it sure as fuck isn't going to be Hikuleo or Chase Owens.

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I'll cancel my subscription again if Bad Luck Fale doesn't get to face Lance Archer in a battle of the hosses. They gotta have someone from Bullet Club at least do somewhat decent in the tournament, and it sure as fuck isn't going to be Hikuleo or Chase Owens.

Do you remember Lance vs Fale from the G1 a few years back? ?

20 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Do you remember Lance vs Fale from the G1 a few years back? ?

Nope, I usually only sub for the big shows then cancel after. But thanks for giving me something to watch later today. ?

17 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Lance vs Fale also happened last year in NJ Cup as well. I hope both get eliminated in first round.

You're off my Christmas list, sir.

• Sad 1

This was the best Jay White performance tonight to me.   He upped his in-ring game with how he was doing things, and seems to be developing his in-ring character to where his out-of-ring character is. 

Ospreay was Ospreay, though he sold a little bit instead of none.   Jay really is best when his opponent sells well, and well, that isn't Ospreay.

I have not completed the entire show yet but I really liked Suzuki-gun vs Kojima, Tigermask, Taguchi, Dragon Lee and Honma.

So much going on during this match. Everyone got their moments to shine. Kojima nd Minoru really let it each have it. Kojim chopped Minoru so hard his chest started to bleed.

What a wild match dude. Taka Minchinoku is still going strong. I use to watch that guy as a kid in the WWF now he's an surly old guard bastard in a surly old guard heel stable.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 1