DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL LUCHA LIBRE THOUGHTS

RIPPA

By the way, Rocky Romero vs. Volador Jr was really fucking great.  

Due to his work behind the scenes, Rocky has seemingly made a point to stay out of putting himself over too much, which I very much admire.  As a result, main event Rocky Romero is few and far between these days.  The good news is, no matter what promotion it is, main event Rocky always delivers.  He was the star in this match, with Volador to his credit being a very willing participant to go along for the ride.  

Semi-main was more angle-driven, but everyone looked good, except for Dragon Rojo Jr., who was a bit out of his league.  Oraculo was actually in Romero's corner for the main, and was a tremendous hype man, so I think we'll be seeing more of him in CMLL, and maybe even New Japan?  Side note, Oraculo also has a Juice Robinson vibe which can't be unseen.  The match seemed to point toward an Angel de Oro vs. Oraculo match-up somewhere down the line, which would be perfectly fine with me.  

It's sad to see him leave after being there since 1991 (or so). But the company being free of Dalys is good for them. 

He's also going to a promotion that I don't watch. Glad I got to see at least the end of that Titan match a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 4:09 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

https://youtu.be/6e28W19BERs

Satanico/Miguel Perez Jr/Ricky Santana vs Rayo de Jalisco Jr/Emilio Charles Jr/Negro Casas (CMLL on Televisa - October 7th, 1994)

There's an extended Casas vs. Satanico segment that starts within the first five minutes. Casas is a total shitbird and Satanico just dads on him. It rules.

You need to see this just for Ricky Santana's GLORIOUS hair. I can't tell if he was building up for an apuestas match or a shampoo commercial.

4 hours ago, cubbymark said:

I don't know about sad, but it does increase the palace intrigue of a potential CMLL power struggle. Something must have happened for Negro and Dalys to leave CMLL after so many years.

From his own mouth, and the majority of insiders(Cubsfan & Rob Viper) it’s because Psycho Clown is his son-in-law, and Negro wanted to work with him. Rob even has said their was a possibility Psycho was thinking of skipping out of AAA before they secured Negro. Who knows how it’ll effect the rest of the roster, but the women’s division moral will be up knowing they won’t be working with Dalys anymore.

Edit: I’ll say though, AAA is really making this seem like they just threw the KO blow to CMLL, and I don’t think Casas will be coming back anytime soon to Arena Mexico after this. He’s currently public enemy #1 to his former home promotion, I can guarantee that.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tonight's Fantastica Mania card in Chiba, Japan had a trios match with Místico, Soberano Jr. & El Desperado vs. Hechicero, Templario & DOUKI which just went off into the stratosphere at times.  It was the first match of the tour so far to finally hit that peak level and one of the best matches I've seen all year.  If you have New Japan World, you should go out of your way to see it. 

Hechicero is really making the New Japan announcers' jaws drop this tour.  They sound blown away by him.  Really big emphasis on Atlantis Jr. this time around, he's clearly being presented as a top star.  

Please note, tomorrow's event, the first of the final two nights from Korakuen hall, is apparently airing live for FREE, and if you can catch it, the two top matches are Volador Jr vs. Templario, and the potentially insane main event of Titan vs. Soberano Jr.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fredo has a story up at luchaworld about a domestic violence in incident between Cuatrero and Stephanie Vaquer. I hadn't seen it reported before, but i sometimes forget to read luchablog everyday, now that I don't watch much current CMLL. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you.

Got a match in before bed.

Mistico vs Atlantis Jr. from March 10th. I really liked the camera work and live edit of this match. The overhead shot while in the ring (intercut with a couple of close ups of a kick or two) and continuing overhead as they battle up the ramp made this match up feel so grand.

Mistico got the spectacular stage dive early but spent a good deal selling. Looking at LuchaBlog, I guess this was a 10 minute time limit stipulation which makes sense. It was quick and fun but I didn’t feel like it was rushed. Very enjoyable. 

Not sure the etiquette of this section is if posting winners is cool or not, so I’ll just leave it at this. 

edit: here’s the angle

03-FDCAAC-DA3-B-4-F48-8759-ED79-D5692-A7

Edited by Octopus

So I literally only watch Lucha Libre when its TripleMania time, I am a sucker for big shows. I read the preview from thecubsfan to catch up and then I am ready to roll, since my brother likes the lucha style I invite him over and we sit and are confused together about whatever is happening.

I'm not using spoiler tags since no one on this board watches lucha anymore and it aired live if anyone did. But even though TripleMania: Monterrey was a mess I enjoyed it. Watching AAA is such a unique experience when parachuting in - there are random run-ins, non-AAA wrestlers are always featured, lots of blood, lots of chaos, lots of unintentionally maskless masked wrestlers, and a fair bit of awkwardness. The main event was great of course and the Rush/LA Park tag team match was the brawl I was hoping for. Other matches were more miss-able for sure (Chessman/Vampiro was the longest nine minutes of my life and the Copa TripleMania had little value) but for $23 I thought it was a good deal, we had a good time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 9:00 PM, BrianS81177 said:

https://twitter.com/defyNW/status/1661787893558571009/photo/1

Can anyone tell me anything about either of these guys? Galeno del Mal and Delta Jr? They're facing each other on the Defy show I'm going to in a couple weeks

Galeno Del Mal is Dr. Wagner Jr. and Rossy Moreno's (youngest?) kid. Big guy. I want to say he's been booked pretty strong for a rookie in IWRG. Just did a tour of GLEAT. He's a prospect.

I had to look up Delta Jr. He's a Colorado guy, his dad works/promotes lucha shows there.

• Like 1