DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL LUCHA LIBRE THOUGHTS

RIPPA

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Some of the NJPW alguys are working Arena Mexico on 6/30 as they are doing Fantastica Mania Mexico. 

In his recent interview with Mike Sempervive, Rocky alluded to more NJPW in CMLL this year, and well, he wasn't kidding.  The top 3 matches should all be really good to amazing, especially the LIJ trios match.  

Mascara Dorada 2.0, based on the video on CMLL's youtube page, looks like Panterita Del Ring Jr repackaged, which would make sense since the previous MD is now officially going by Metalik.  Works out best for both of them since I think Metalik sounds cooler and Panterita Del Ring Jr is kind of an overly ridiculous name anyhow.  CMLL holding on to and recycling old trademarks, and all that entails, is a very CMLL thing to do, of course.  

The luchadora tag match is probably the best four they have to offer at this point, and no dead weight, so good for them for putting their best foot forward.  

Speaking of NJPW-CMLL crossovers, I didn't comment on it at the time, but I thought Vaquer was absolutely tremendous in her match with Mercedes at Resurgence.  Virus and Cavernario picking up the (surprise) win on ZSJ and Tito was really cool as well, but I see those potential singles matches for an upcoming Strong PPV card and not here.  I mentioned over in the Japan subforum that Vaquer-Mone earned my purchase of that event, and ZSJ-Virus would do the same.  

Titan in the BOSJ final as well!  

Pipe dream/wishful thinking considering these recent developments:  Hechicero in the G1 (his Fantastica Mania performances in February certainly make the case) and the Chavez brothers in the World Tag League.  Expectations for those extremely low, but who knows, 2023 has been full of pleasant surprises so far.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm visiting Mexico City in November and my wife has greenlit Friday night at Arena Mexico because why wouldn't you? I've read thecubsfan's page and have been to big events in foreign cities before so I'm cool with the practicalities of going to the show, and I've watched enough lucha to know it has different grammar to other styles. I've never been a huge lucha guy as a matter of routine though so my question *here* is where is a good jumping-on point to do some homework and get myself up-to-date on CMLL's current main guys?

Per CMLL Informa ... Mascara Dorada 2.0 is in fact Panterita Del Ring Jr. and will wrestle under that name exclusively beginning 6/30.

Original Mascara Dorada (Gran Metallik in WWE) returns to CMLL as "Metalik" on July 14, so whatever immigration/passport issues he's had since his WWE release looks to have been resolved.

They also announced a tag team hair match on July 14. Know zip about either side but, based on how they were dressed, "La Ola Negra" appear to be Mr. Hughes cosplayers. One member of said team, an American named Dark Magic, sounds like the host of an R&B love songs radio request show. 

Edited by colonial

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

CMLL announced the teams for its annual Men's Grand Prix on August 18:

TEAM MEXICO: Averno, Dragon Rojo Jr., Angel de Oro, Ultimo Guerrero, Templario, Mascara Dorada 2.0, Volador Jr., Mistico

TEAM WORLD: Baliyan Akki, Francesco Akira, Adrian Quest, TJP, Rocky Romero, Samuray del Sol (Kalisto), KUSHIDA, Hiromu Takahashi

• Like 2

On 7/28/2023 at 8:36 AM, colonial said:

CMLL announced the teams for its annual Men's Grand Prix on August 18:

TEAM MEXICO: Averno, Dragon Rojo Jr., Angel de Oro, Ultimo Guerrero, Templario, Mascara Dorada 2.0, Volador Jr., Mistico

TEAM WORLD: Baliyan Akki, Francesco Akira, Adrian Quest, TJP, Rocky Romero, Samuray del Sol (Kalisto), KUSHIDA, Hiromu Takahashi

Nice to see, that's a big break for Baliyan Akki, and gives me hope that in the Women's Grand Prix, we might see Mei Suruga again, who killed it last time.  Maybe Emi Sakura as well?  

There's no way this match won't be good, it's just a matter of how stunningly great it may be.  

• Like 1

Anniversario show line-up announced (from Cubsfan) 

CMLL (SAT) 09/16/2023 Arena México
1) ? vs ?? [Copa Independencia]
2) La Jarochita & Lluvia vs Stephanie Vaquer & Zeuxis [CMLL WOMEN TAG]
new championships
3) Atlantis, Blue Panther, Octagón vs Fuerza Guerrera, Satánico, Virus
4) Soberano Jr. & Titán vs Lince Dorado & Samuray del Sol
5) Atlantis Jr., Máscara Dorada, Místico vs Kevin Knight, Rocky Romero, TJP
6) Ángel de Oro & Volador Jr. vs Averno & Último Guerrero [winners advance]
7) ? vs ?? [hair]
8) Templario vs Dragón Rojo Jr. [mask]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Was hoping for some lucha recommendations for something I am working on. (Coded language for “I am a sad old man who is still in an e-fed.”)

1) Are there any wild crowd/concourse/etc. brawls you can send me too? Preferably with blood?

2) Any good videos of a crowd strongly reacting to the actions of a rudos (especially if it comes via promo.)

My only real lucha knowledge is from Los Gringos Locos.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Reminder: Anniversario is tonight.

here’s The Luchablog Twitter thread

I haven't looked at the results yet, but will do so after I type this and making some coffee.  In general, it looks like a solid show, and very likely some matches will overdeliver.  I'm crossing my fingers that due to the NJPW connection, this shows up on New Japan World (for users in Japan, which would very luckily be me), as did the Gran Prix card.  On that note, I'll post some thoughts on that card in a bit, but I don't want to go off-topic right now.   

Templario will need to work extra hard (which he can certainly do), but this is clearly the match of Dragon Rojo Jr.'s career, so I'm hoping he can hold up his end.   They've been teasing this forever, so let's just get it over with at this point.  

This would be a great star-making opportunity for Angel de Oro, as he deserves to be at the top of the card.  I think the team with his brother Niebla Roja is criminally underrated and should continue, but there's a lot that can be done with Angel de Oro in a more elevated position going forward.  That all being said, this screams playing it safe with Averno losing to UG.  At least either final match should be really good, though.  

The Mistico crew vs. Rocky's crew trios match could easily steal the show.  

There's no reason Soberano Jr. and Titan vs. the artists formerly known as Lucha House Party won't be good to great; Lince Dorado has been solid before in CMLL, so I reckon the pressure is on Samuray del Sol as to whether he can hang with two of the best in the world (in my opinion).  

The women's title match has the best four they've got, so again, it will at least be good.  

It's a show that lacks discernible feuds, but given the depth of the current roster (the best in years), it should be an exciting card all the way through.  I haven't decided if subscribing to CMLL's Youtube channel is worth it or not yet, and I feel they are losing potential viewers by not highlighting their impressive roster by at least showing key matches for free for non-regular viewers (i.e. no more delayed Friday nights on YT, which is sad), but again, those are lengthy discussions for another day.  Okay, time for that coffee and to peruse the results...

Edited by Evil Otto

4 minutes ago, Evil Otto said:

It's a show that lacks discernible feuds, but given the depth of the current roster (the best in years), it should be an exciting card all the way through.  

Trying to recall was anything on this show well built up aside from Templario/Rojo and the women's match? They have all been feuding for months now. Looking at results the show sounds great.