DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 TV GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Chernobyl

HBO Miniseries that won't be a happy watch

Depression:  The Movie.

Holy fuck, but HBO is on a tear when it comes to making really good documentaries that make me want to break something by the time the end credits roll.  I was ready to go out and start a bar fight last night after I finished watching The Inventor.

Each episode of the Case Against Adnan Syed has left me wanting to break something more than the one before it. The Inventor I walked away from thinking, well, this person is completely bugfuck crazy. In terms of shock value or even compared to other Alex Gibney documentaries, I thought the Inventor was many steps back from how awesome Going Clear was.

THIS "documentary" mini-series though, is going to be something else.

Just one last reminder (because my ass forgot too and I had to be reminded via Facebook), Joe Bob starts again on Shudder tonight. So now I have new NJPW, the Brody doc, the Kenny doc, two Joe Bob features, a dozen Segunda pimped matches, Violent Giants vs. Strong BJ, and the rest of The Mutilator to watch tonight (hey, this is a reminder post)

Lately the MOVIES! channel has been my go to. They show a lot of noir. Yesterday morning while I was getting ready for work I caught about twenty minutes of The Glass Wall. This morning it was Lost Command. Two movies I had never heard of before, and if I hadn't had to go to work I would've finished watching them both.

• Like 1

Been rewatching Taxi on Hulu sn sll I csn say is... could this be one of the funnist shows ever where each episode is so... boring?
Like when a joke lands, it lands solid but I find it to be a struggle to make it through episodes everytime. Like my brain says "Funny but we could be watching somethign else you oknow?"

Compare that with when I recently rewatched S1 of WKRP (the only season on Amazon Prime it seems) every episode pretty much made me look forward t othe next. Same thing when re-watching Newsradio. Taxi is funny but simultaneously dull. I can't think of another show like that

James

I have been watching Great News on Netflix and god damn, I wish I'd been able to watch it while it was airing (no cable, and my apartment complex seems to have been built specifically to thwart HD antennae) so I could've been angry at its cancellation when it happened.  Everyone on that show is amazing, Andrea Martin has been one of my very favorites since I first started watching SCTV reruns in the 80s and John Michael Higgins is somebody who really should've gotten more opportunities to carry a show than he has because he's amazing.

Meanwhile, a month out of a breakup with someone with borderline feels like a good time to re-watch and catch up on Crazy Ex.  I loved the show for a while, then it got WAY too real (and I knew from basically ep 2 that if they ever gave Rebecca a diagnosis it'd be BPD).

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:57 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Also, I am going to take great pleasure in Chernobyl winning every Emmy and Golden Globe yet remain the most unwatchable thing to hit TV since The Day After

Threads says hello, Curt.

I don't know how I feel about Russian Doll except that I'm not sure it's as distinct from Groundhog Day - i.e. the most perverse movie this side of Slumdog Millionaire - as I was hoping. Maybe some thoughts will coalesce in the morning when the QUARTER TWO thread begins. 

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic