DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q1 TV GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Alan Alda did a MASH reunion on his podcast, with Swit, Farrell, Berghoff & Farr. 

(Is that all the remaining major cast members still alive? I think so)

You're right, they're the remaining four. And I listened to it in the truck on my route today. It's really good.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

14 hours ago, Craig H said:

HANG DAI

Seth's last line in that might be one of the most Seth Bullock responses ever.

The question Al's asking is also the sort of thing Al should ask Seth. Both because Al is the type to overthink strategically to the point of occasionally unwarranted paranoia. And because he's aware of Seth's tendency to put a gun to someone's head and pull their ear. 

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Alan Alda did a MASH reunion on his podcast, with Swit, Farrell, Berghoff & Farr. 

(Is that all the remaining major cast members still alive? I think so)

Alan Alda has a podcast?! 

8 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The question Al's asking is also the sort of thing Al should ask Seth. Both because Al is the type to overthink strategically to the point of occasionally unwarranted paranoia. And because he's aware of Seth's tendency to put a gun to someone's head and pull their ear. 

Alan Alda has a podcast?! 

He does and it's fantastic. Sorry if this sounds weird, but Alan Alda has the most relaxing voice and it's one where I always pay attention to it. He's like a really cool Grandpa or something.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Supernatural will (finally???) be ending after Season 15

And when it does, Jared Padalecki will be the same age that Jeffrey Dean Morgan (who played their dad) was in season one (Jensen Ackles already is).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

He does and it's fantastic. Sorry if this sounds weird, but Alan Alda has the most relaxing voice and it's one where I always pay attention to it. He's like a really cool Grandpa or something.

It's funny you say that because when I hear Alan Alda's voice now I think he sounds more and more like Grandpa Al Lewis

James

Further Dallas Observations:

- Barbara Bell Geddes really is the soul of this show. Almost done with season 3 and nthe breast cancer story was pretty powerful. No wonder after she left for that season people weren't into Donna Reed as Miss Ellie

- Sue Ellen develops as a character in therapy but she is still a heel in her actions even after her pregnancy. The way she suckers JR in that one bedroom scene almost makes JR come off as a babyface (which is believable since he did the babyface move by taking her to the sanitarium).

- After JR fucks up the Asian Oilfield deal, Jock coming in to take over Ewing Oil again makes perfect sense.

- Is Cliff Barnes the most inept heel in any form of fiction? He is the Herr Starr of Dallas

- Digger Barnes would be a great synpathetic character if he weren't in denial about getting "screwed" by Jock (I'm in the "Jock was trying ot protect Digger" school of thought)

- The signs Pam might be kinda nuts start creeping in during season 3. In a related note we get the "Bouncing" Victoria Principal walk in the opening credits now

James

• Like 2

The Dallas viewing continues!

I'm past season 3 and in the middle of season 4

- First let's talk about the main theme from Dallas and how fuckin awesome it is! I mean it is totally disco as all get out. It's so Disco that they even played it as a Disco track that white people danced to in a disco scene during season 1! My almost 10 month old daughter (young Sandra Violet) whips her head around boogies down to the Dallas theme whenever it starts playing. It's different than the Dynasty theme, whose sound is pretty much letting you know that Dynasty is about rich douchebags by its mere arrangement (but its still awesome, being by Bill Conti and all)

- The stretch of episodes building to JR getting shot are just masterful. Every single person who can be a suspect is mapped out carefully. They are  super careful in making sure to eliminate Bobby and Pam as suspects by making it look like they are off to be on Knots Landing, make you think that even Miss Ellie could be a suspect (for still being pissed at JR for putting Southfork up for mortgage in the Asian Oilfield deal). Really the only people they make sure aren't suspects are Jock, Bobby, Pam, Lucy and Ray. That is some damn fine writing

- Jock continues to be awesome as he is a guy who admits to making mistakes when it comes to his business dealings. The hunting episode illustrates this as even after getting shot by a guy he strong armed 25 years ago Jock is like "Yeah, I fucked you over and I'm not sorry for it BUT I should've seen you were better taken care of".

- Hey what the fuck is going on with Sue Ellen at the start of season 4? She's reverted to being Sue Ellen from season 1. I get that JR getting shot helped re-affirm her love for him but c'mon, she's back to being bitchy Sue Ellen, worrying about her and JR's place in the Ewing pecking order

- Hey season 3 brought us Ted Shackleford as Gary (replacing David Ackroyd). Shackleford is the Gary people associate with the role anyway so it was really good to see him show up in order to set-up Knots Landing becoming a thing. He and Joan Van Ark are the Nick Bockwknkle and Ray Stevens of the Dallas Universe

- Hey Miss Ellie sure is a forgiving old dame, what with Jock hiding a previous marriage and having an affair during World War II. Mind you, in the latter she had already forgiven him ffrom before the series started. Of course it also leads to the reveal that Ray is Jock's son.

- In 3 seasons Lucy Ewing has already had two wedding's called off, had her affair with her own Uncle (something that never gets addressed) and has slept with her married professor. Poor Mitch Cooper doesn't stand a chance with her in season 4.

- Was anyone really satisfied with how they resolved Kristin being JR's shooter? Hell I can't think of a damn thing Mary Crosby was in after her Dallas run (well that one episode of Knots Landing).

- Season 4 is really where the JR/Bobby rivalry will get pushed into overdrive, what with Bobby taking over Ewing Oil while JR is recovering from the shooting. Hell, the fact Bobby wanted to reopen Ewing 23 to be fair to Cliff Barnes was one of the "Huh?" moments, especially after how JR so effectively screwed Cliff out of Ewing 23 in season 3.

- Digger Barnes dying was a big deal as it gave us the reveal that he wasn't Pam's father. Yet another trigger for Pam slowly going a little nuts and eventually kinda more heel than tweener. By the way, Keenan Wynn replacing David Wayne as Digger is one of the weirdest recastings ever in TV because Wynn had such a heavy New York accent that I can't buy him as being from Texas.

- Speaking of Cliff Barnes, he's still a putz.

In summation... I've really been watching a lot of Dallas in the last few weeks

James

-

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

The mayor and the police seem to have a problem with the charges against Jussie Smollet being dropped...are they trying to convince us they had absolutely no say in those charges being dropped?  Like, the prosecutor didn't run it by either of their offices in a case with this profile?  I also love that the Chicago Police Department, of all police departments on earth, are out here lecturing about what is a whitewashing of justice.  I can't think of a case where I hated everyone as much as I hate everyone in this case.  From Gay 2pac to Rahm Emmanuel...there ain't a single person worth rooting for in this entire soap opera.

• Like 1

Tonight is the penultimate episode of You're the Worst. Not going to lie, this season has been really heartbreaking and Stephen Falk has completely nailed what a failing relationship feels like, not to mention Aya Cash has completely topped her season 2 performance as Gretchen is essentially drowning in depression this season. I hope she gets an Emmy nomination.

I still have no idea what to think about where everything is headed, but two regular length episodes (around 22 to 24 minutes per episode) doesn't feel like enough time to wrap everything up. This shit constantly seems to happen with FX comedies in their final season. Rescue Me was perhaps the worst because it just meandered along and wasted too much time and then wham, the series finale was there. I hope that doesn't happen with You're the Worst, but tonight's episode is what happens the day before the wedding and the finale seems to harken back to Gretchen describing Jimmy and the other dude she was into as pancakes and eggs where Jimmy is eggs and so she chooses eggs, The finale is titled "Pancakes" and they're going to need to fit in whatever wedding Lindsay is presumably having, all of the other flash forward shit, and who knows, all of the flash forward shit may be one huge misdirection.

This is way more than I meant to type up about these last two episodes, but my guess is that the flash forward stuff is a callback to one of the first episodes this season where we see a weird love story morph into Jimmy and Gretchen's story because they're telling a wedding coordinator some bullshit story. I think Jimmy wrote a book based on his life with Gretchen, but the ending it takes (they break up, Jimmy winds up with the woman from the flower shop, and then they presumably meet up again at Lindsay's wedding) is different than their real life. Either that, or everything is way way way way too much on the nose and like the title song says, "I'm going to leave you anyway."

• Like 1