DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Really why do the move at all? "Taking ownership" doesn't sound like a good excuse. 

Training the young fans who have no idea what we're talking about that the move is just a move. 

3 months after the murders?

Gotta start some time. Though, granted, it was really weird to break it out when they did. And I think Yamato was doing Benoit tribute moves in Dragon Gate around the same time period too. It's odd all around.

You know what I think is really strange? That Benoit's finish started getting used by guys not long after the murders, but Goldberg hasn't done shit in ages and no one's using the Jackhammer. WTF? Big E Langston has that shit Belly Cutter finish when he should be Jackhammering dudes. 

• Like 1

I think the problem there is that every bald jacked-up guy in wrestling gets "Goooold-beeeerg" chants even though the man hasn't done anything in wrestling in ages. Anyone big enough and intimidating enough to use the jackhammer effectively (so, not Billy Gunn) is going to get the chant ad nauseum.

Big E Langston has that shit Belly Cutter finish when he should be Jackhammering dudes. 

Others have suggested he use the Pounce.

Look personally I can't forgive what Benoit did to his family, and I haven't watched a match of his in years because of what happened. But I'm a fan, I didn't work with him, or knew him personally. But I'm sure some of the wrestlers that did work with him, and knew him very personally do still care deeply about him, and what he ended up doing to his legacy.

Also now that I think about it. If Shawn is the Christian he says he is(which I believe he is) he most likely did the Crossface as a way of I saying "I forgive him". 

Sure, I mean that makes sense. I can't imagine how confusing it must have been for all of those guys. Jericho, in particular, seems to have created these two Chris's, the one that he loved like a brother and the one that did this horrible thing. And I guess that's what you have to do if you were that close to him. I don't know what the right response is, because thankfully I've never been in that spot. I know that I've watched one or two matches of his since then, and only just a year or so ago, and I can't stop thinking about it. My brain is going "Wow he's doing great work with DDP," and at the same time yelling "He killed his family!" the whole match. I can separate the two in my criticism of the work, but I can't enjoy it anymore as a fan so I don't bother trying to watch his stuff now.

Also, I've suggested the fucking Pounce a billion million times. Stop using shitty moves and use moves that no one is using that are fucking kick ass. Stupid wrestlers with their Playmakers and Whirlygigs. Sunset flip 123 get the fuck out of there.

• Like 3

My favorite thing, was how huge power moves that looked devastating when you first saw them became routine because the guys aping them didn't have the same snap and aggression on them.  Pretty much all of Goldberg's moveset looked pedestrian when others did them and they became generic power moves. Same for the Meltdown.

I decided to do some WWF snowflake analysis with match lengths to investigate how much did longer matches and higher meltzer star ratings correlated.

http://indeedwrestling.blogspot.com/2013/10/systematic-analysis-of-meltzer-ratings.html

tl;dr version = there is a definite progression where the all the metrics (25th to 75th quartiles) all move in lockstep with the star rating; however, if you just look at the scatter plot it reinforces that there there is a still a huge amount of variation which completely obfuscates the relationship.

Posted Image

• Like 2

So, what is the shortest Meltzer five-star match?

Click the link, fascinating stuff.  But the shortest 5 star match is 18:09.  Mookieghana is the pro wrestling Nate Silver.

I should have noted that you can see the matches from the dataset in length from shortest to longest on the supplemental data page. or you can just look at snowflake tallies from indeedwrestling.com

Billy Gunn is the only other guy in a major US company that I can remember using the Jackhammer.  Someone really needs to be wrecking fools with it.  Maybe Titus O should pick it up.  

I seem to remember Batista doing it a couple of times as well.

I'd like to see someone start using the Stump Puller as a finisher.  I don't think I've seen anyone use it since Big Bully Busick.

Didn't Doink also use it after him?

Come to think of it, you are correct, sir!

Now I find myself missing heel Doink... *sigh*

At the very least, let him use a vertical suplex into a powerslam.

So... a jackhammer?

Haha, not exactly. I'm talking about something that's more of a two part move, whereas the Jackhammer smoothly flows into the slam part. I was just thinking of something a bit more neutered for WWE's tastes.